Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Lawn Person Fell Through (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/lawn-person-fell-through-36403/)

skyguy79 02-24-2011 09:05 PM

Lawn Person Fell Through

A few weeks ago I hired someone to do my mowing and yard work, who was recommended by some people on TOTV, I called him a few day not having heard from him or having him show up and he informed me that he would have to back out because he was over his head in jobs. I won't mention his name because I feel that he was honestly over his head and struggling to handle the load.

Now I have to look for another service and am asking if anyone heard of our had any experience with the Cutting Edge Lawn Care that's owned and operated by a retired Marine Corps Veteran who provides most yard services and driveway power washing? I should be getting an estimate from him on this coming Monday and the only thing we've been able to find about him is that he advertises in the Sun.

redwitch 02-24-2011 09:43 PM

Don't know a thing about the guy you're considering hiring, but here's a couple of suggestions. Get the names and addresses of some of his other clients and immediately after he leaves, go and check those lawns. (If you wait a day or two, he'll have a chance to make them look good if there was something wrong.) You don't necessarily have to talk to the owners, but if they happen to be around .....

I just recently found a guy I'm pretty impressed with. He cuts a couple of lawns in Amelia and they are some of the better looking lawns around. He also trims. I believe he adds fertilizer, but won't swear to that one. His prices are definitely reasonable. His name is Bill Verticelli (352/753-7807).

Another company I highly recommend is D & J Baker's Lawn Service. They also do trimming (352/638-2400). They about in the middle in pricing. They've been doing lawns in TV for several years and definitely plan to stick around, which is a big thing.

As to the guy who admitted he was overwhelmed, kudos to him. Too many take on too many jobs and then do a poor job for everyone. Sounds like this is a guy well worth remembering for the future.

skip0358 02-24-2011 10:06 PM

Lawn person

I hope this isn't the same person. Myself and 4 neighbors use Village Lawn, came all winter even if he just edged ,blew and pulled weeds. Very happy with them. # 352-551-7194. I'd give him a try. the guy I had b4 was not up to my standards and I let him go after 1 year was up.

TommyT 02-24-2011 11:37 PM

Here's one that I use

and his name is

Henry Covington
Henry's Landscaper
352-303-3680

Henry is a retired correctional worker. He was recommended to me by a friend that has used him for several years and really liked his work. It's he and his son together.

I'm pleased with their work so far and if you use them, tell them Tommy T on Pennecamp Dr recommended them and I'll get a free month. :coolsmiley:

Glood luck, so many to choose from and I've heard horror stories...

Lucko 02-25-2011 01:47 AM

Bonnybrook burglary

I hear that one of these landscapers may have two employees suspected in the theft of a flat screen television, two laptops and accessories and a new cell phone Etc. from a rental home in Bonnybrook. The theft occued about 3:30 p.m. Thurday Feb. 17, 2011 and took a lot of guts !!!

whartonjelly 02-25-2011 05:17 AM

When I read the title Lawn Person Fell Thru , my first thoughts were sinkhole!

cybermuda 02-25-2011 07:56 AM

May be worth getting a quote from John Marko - 352-409-6087

We use him for everything in the garden - trees as well - and he has been very good and charges significantly less than what we were paying Massey

ajbrown 02-25-2011 09:07 AM

I have used Kris Hale for lawn mowing for two+ years. He now does my yard, my next door neighbor and my neighbor across the street. For us he mows the lawn in the months we are here. In the months we are up north, in addition to mowing the lawn, he takes care of weeds in flower beds and trims bushes. For those things we work out an additional fee.

I have been pleased with his work. He was recommended to me by Jamie from Jamie’s Landscaping.

His company is H&W Lawn Care and Landscaping 352-315-4854

Pturner 02-25-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whartonjelly (Post 333604)
When I read the title Lawn Person Fell Thru , my first thoughts were sinkhole!

Darn, you beat me to it. I was gonna post the same thing.

:beer3:

Bill-n-Brillo 02-25-2011 09:23 AM

skyguy - We walked around our neighborhood after we bought in Duval and knocked on the doors of a couple of homes that had well cared for lawns. Asked them what they thought of the companies they used. Settled on using a fellow who takes care of two other homes close to ours. Honey-Do Guys - John (352) 753-5558 We're happy so far! Actually got to meet the fellow earlier this week when they were here to do their thing. I like using businesses where the owner is also one of the workers. You usually get a better job when the owner's out on the job!

Bill

skyguy79 02-25-2011 10:59 AM

Thanks to all for your recommendations.

We have found a service person we like that was highly recommended by a neighbor. He takes care of a number of properties right in my neighborhood including directly accross the street from us.
Again thanks!:a040:

mikeandnancy1112 02-25-2011 11:28 AM

We have the same couple who was working for the previous owner of our house. We live in Summerhill and have been here for 2 years. Their names are Terrill and Robin Bybee. They are very reliable and reasonable. Their phone number is 753-7468

Good luck!