Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   466A Gas Station (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/466a-gas-station-36487/)

clod 02-28-2011 08:09 AM

466A Gas Station

Is there any hope for the gas station on 466A at Colony Plaza? Anyone know if or when they may have gas again?

:cus:

graciegirl 02-28-2011 08:14 AM

We hope that they will AGAIN reopen and pass gas soon. (How many closings is this one?)

If they didn't charge more than other stations nearby they would have a better chance of staying in business.

IMO

Army Guy 02-28-2011 08:32 AM

As I have said before, I feel that once 466A begins to build in the Sotuj TV area it will do well as it is in an excellent location. Think about it, only gas station on 466A and ONLY gas cart available South of 466? Can you say, "Gold Mine"? Right now, yes it is hard, but mark my words!

Army Guy

jblum8156 02-28-2011 09:29 AM

That station has closed and reopened about 6 times in the 18 months that I've been here. I don't know what the problem is, unless it's their high prices.

KathieI 02-28-2011 10:24 AM

This station has been a topic of conversation on this forum since its opening a while ago. According to sources at that time, the rent supposedly for that location is $20,000/mo. No one could sustain that kind of rent, no matter how much they charge for gas. As my dear friend, the late Muncle said, maybe when all of 466A is built out and they increase of customer base, they can charge a competitive gas rate. The fact that they have opened and closed so many times is indicative of the problem of rent, in my opinion. Here's the link of the older posts on this subject.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...Station+Colony

Dynasty 02-28-2011 11:51 AM

Thanks KathieI,

That pretty much confirms what I have heard about gas stations. They are owned by the big boys, Shell, BP, etc. The lease runs $250,000 per year so the lessee must move some fuel and store items. Kind of a catch 22. We won't buy gas because it is 10 cents higher and the station can't generate enough revenue by selling at a competitive price. Also in some areas the major oil companies dictate to the station how much they must charge for fuel. I'm sure the profit on a golf cart is pretty small, unless they can get us inside to buy something from the store. I personally support the station and the store simply because I want them to succeed. I also support the restaurants and grocery in Colony Cottage for the same reason, not because of price.

skyguy79 02-28-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathieI (Post 334371)
This station has been a topic of conversation on this forum since its opening a while ago. According to sources at that time, the rent supposedly for that location is $20,000/mo. No one could sustain that kind of rent, no matter how much they charge for gas. As my dear friend, the late Muncle said, maybe when all of 466A is built out and they increase of customer base, they can charge a competitive gas rate. The fact that they have opened and closed so many times is indicative of the problem of rent, in my opinion. Here's the link of the older posts on this subject.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...Station+Colony

First, let me say it was nice meeting you and the others on Friday afternoon.

As for the station, few stations can be substained on only the pump receipts unless they have a super amount of traffic passing through each and every day.

The only way many gas stations can exist is through the offering of other services. i.e. oil changes, tire sales, repairs, etc. Not knowing much about the station being discussed I don't know if they offer other services, but if they don't, and even if they do you may continue to see the on and off availability, until as you say the development of TV below 466a and/or some expansion of other services they offer.

I may be wrong, but if I am... I won't admit it!!! http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...ns/whistle.gif

jkomoros 03-02-2011 04:52 PM

I don't remember this gas station being closed as long as it has this time. What do others who own gas carts plan to do in the meantime? I hate to buy a gas can and haul gasoline from one of the stations on 466, especially with so many visitors here this month, but I am going to need gas soon!

memason 03-02-2011 07:00 PM

I just put on the earbuds, crank up the music and take a nice drive to 466 for gas. Not a big deal and I wouldn't buy from the station on 466a anyway; not as long as their prices are $.20 gallon more than anyone else.

Just saying ..... :shrug:

Niels 03-02-2011 07:19 PM

While I wouldn't fill my car there, I would normally fill my gas cart at the station at 466A despite the price since it usually only takes about 4 gallons anyway ( I don't like to let it get too low). Half the time I fill up on 466 anyway so I'll just go to one of the stations up there.

I don't see any need to buy a gas can and haul around gas. I usually take my cart all over TV and will just fill up when I'm near 466. If I have to, I'll make a special trip up there on a nice day that I'm not too busy.

spk7951 03-03-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathieI (Post 334371)
[COLOR=Purple][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]According to sources at that time, the rent supposedly for that location is $20,000/mo. No one could sustain that kind of rent, no matter how much they charge for gas.

I agree with you that if true the $20K per month rent would be very difficult to sustain but if someone did their homework prior to leasing I would hope they would have at least reached that conclusion prior to signing.

According to the Sumter County land records that piece of property was bought in 2007 by an LLP partnership out of St Pete for $1.5M and their property taxes are paid up. Tried searching the web for the partnership but found nothing.

Pookirgirl 03-05-2011 01:30 PM

Met a man in McDonald's (hearsay) who told us he was there when the police came in and handcuffed 3 workers...evidently there were drug sales involved. PLACE CLOSED down! That was a week or so ago. I understand it has REOPENED! Hooray!!!!!!

Bill-n-Brillo 03-05-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookirgirl (Post 335701)
Met a man in McDonald's (hearsay) who told us he was there when the police came in and handcuffed 3 workers...evidently there were drug sales involved. PLACE CLOSED down! That was a week or so ago. I understand it has REOPENED! Hooray!!!!!!

But are they selling gasoline????

Bill

nkrifats 03-05-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 335737)
But are they selling gasoline????

Bill

Good question

TommyT 03-05-2011 05:26 PM

Yes they are. Bought gas for my Golf Car yesterday. A bit expensive, but they have gas and are selling....