Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Political Thread, Closed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/political-thread-closed-36513/)

gemorc 02-28-2011 10:58 PM

Political Thread, Closed

Why was the political, non-political thread closed today? It was only open for four days, and three pages. While some threads in this forum last for days, maybe years, this one was closed too soon. Maybe this thread should be in the Political forum, but it had run for four days here. I don't believe all the members of this forum community were given the opportunity to make a comment. I know I wasn't.

Taj44 03-01-2011 06:37 AM

Iowa, I believe your'e correct. As the original (political/non-political) poster had said "I too love talking politics.......in person, with people who I respect, and who respect me. On an anonymous board it invariably degenerates into name calling and ad hominem attacks with only the loudest and most strident voices surviving." And that's exactly what happened. Too bad.

graciegirl 03-01-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taj44 (Post 334601)
Iowa, I believe your'e correct. As the original (political/non-political) poster had said "I too love talking politics.......in person, with people who I respect, and who respect me. On an anonymous board it invariably degenerates into name calling and ad hominem attacks with only the loudest and most strident voices surviving." And that's exactly what happened. Too bad.

O.K. Who's to blame this time?

Inquiring minds want to know. Is it the same ole folks?

I thank you for starting that thread dear soul.(I am speaking to the originator) It was an excellent premise.

2BNTV 03-01-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 334607)
O.K. Who's to blame this time?

Inquiring minds want to know. Is it the same ole folks?

I thank you for starting that thread dear soul.(I am speaking to the originator) It was an excellent premise.

I can honestly say it wasn't me. :angel:

skyguy79 03-01-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 334637)
I can honestly say it wasn't me. :angel:

Me either! :angel:

Pturner 03-01-2011 12:23 PM

Darn, I'm out of country and miss all the "bad" stuff. Seems everytime I'm away something like this happens, and I miss it. :rant-rave:

eweissenbach 03-01-2011 02:02 PM

I am hoping that the moderators thought my final comment was the perfect way to wrap up the thread.
Bille, Cabo, and Richie; No rebuttal, I will just let your comments stand as the perfect examples of why I ignore the politics forum.

RichieLion 03-01-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 334720)
I am hoping that the moderators thought my final comment was the perfect way to wrap up the thread.
Bille, Cabo, and Richie; No rebuttal, I will just let your comments stand as the perfect examples of why I ignore the politics forum.

Pointing out your hypocrisy in a happy way was jumping on you? I insulted no one, but only pointed out their own words. I guess if I point out to you what you said, it's awful. You are too too funny e.w.

graciegirl 03-01-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLion (Post 334724)
Pointing out your hypocrisy in a happy way was jumping on you? I insulted no one, but only pointed out their own words. I guess if I point out to you what you said, it's awful. You are too too funny e.w.

and again the fight begins..........

billethkid 03-01-2011 02:29 PM

I would just like to know why

the issue being completely ignored is the fact the political forum is being continually bashed in general for the actions of a few.

The ongoing entertainment is those complaining about what they do not like in the political forum do so in non political threads in the very exact manner they are condemning.

Now just why is that OK?

btk

RichieLion 03-01-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 334725)
and again the fight begins..........

I hate to say this to you Gracie, because I admire you, but for you to highlight my quote as saying "the fight begins" when I was called out by name by e.w. is highly unfair. I'm proving over and over again it is the so called "non-political posters" who are pointing fingers. Now you've done it, much to my dismay.

actor 03-01-2011 03:19 PM

I knew without looking

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLion (Post 334724)

that you were the guilty party.

graciegirl 03-01-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLion (Post 334729)
I hate to say this to you Gracie, because I admire you, but for you to highlight my quote as saying "the fight begins" when I was called out by name by e.w. is highly unfair. I'm proving over and over again it is the so called "non-political posters" who are pointing fingers. Now you've done it, much to my dismay.

Hmmm.

rubicon 03-01-2011 04:02 PM

Politics Gone Too Far????

Growing up in my family we were required to discuss politics and religion with one caveat you better be able to defend your position. Now discussing what was the better receipe could get you in real trobule so most of us stayed away from that topic.

My Dad's childhood friend was a conservative Republican and my Dad a liberal Democrat which created some major arguments between them. But when they were done they were done and they never let it come between them I understand they were friends however, we obviously have lost our ability to have serious discourse in this country understanding that it purpose is to decide solutions to serious issues. We need to get back to that type of dialogue. We need to lighten up we need more humor and we need to whistle more. My Dad always whistled. People don't whistle anymore.

graciegirl 03-01-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 334751)
Growing up in my family we were required to discuss politics and religion with one caveat you better be able to defend your position. Now discussing what was the better receipe could get you in real trobule so most of us stayed away from that topic.

My Dad's childhood friend was a conservative Republican and my Dad a liberal Democrat which created some major arguments between them. But when they were done they were done and they never let it come between them I understand they were friends however, we obviously have lost our ability to have serious discourse in this country understanding that it purpose is to decide solutions to serious issues. We need to get back to that type of dialogue. We need to lighten up we need more humor and we need to whistle more. My Dad always whistled. People don't whistle anymore.

That is the smartest thing I have heard in a long, long, time.

You are very wise Rubicon.