Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Residents Parking on Street (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/residents-parking-street-36575/)

jkomoros 03-02-2011 04:49 PM

Residents Parking on Street

I thought that we were restricted from parking cars on the street. I just called CDD Compliance, and they said they had no jurisdiction over street parking. I thought I remembered when we bought here that the realtor mentioned that residents should not be routinely parking on the street. Since few people do it, is it a rule and I called the wrong department, or is it just something most neighbors try not to do?

Bill-n-Brillo 03-02-2011 04:53 PM

I believe 'no street parking' was something that used to be the norm.....until it was found to be unenforceable as the streets are all public. I asked the question of a gentleman who works for the VCDD - that's the response I got.

Bill

skip0358 03-02-2011 04:55 PM

Rules

That's not the only one that's being overlooked. Trust me. Seems it depends who answers the phone or how they read the rules.

pqrstar 03-02-2011 05:02 PM

Check on this website - District Gov. - Deed Compliance
http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...drestrict.aspx

"Parking: Vehicles are to be kept in owners’ garages or concrete driveways"

joannej 03-02-2011 05:31 PM

courtyard villa parking

Vehicles cannot park for any length of time on the streets of courtyard villas. This is a fact.

paulandjean 03-02-2011 05:45 PM

parking

Yes you can park your car on the street,except courtyard villa.

redwitch 03-02-2011 06:51 PM

Or patio villas, from what I understand.

Kaybee1 03-02-2011 07:14 PM

Parking: Vehicles are to be kept in owners’ garages or concrete driveways. When visiting The Villages facilities and commercial areas golf cart parking is available in designated areas.
This is in the deed restrictions. Our villages look some much nicer when residents abide by the restrictions. I also wish residents would close their garage doors-looks so ugly when they are open.:sigh:

JohnN 03-02-2011 07:43 PM

redwitch, you're mistaken.

Item 12 of the CDD restrictions states: owners shall park in garages or driveways.

when a local neighbor started parking in guest spots (since he has two vehicles and a golf cart and doesn't want to tie up his driveway), we contacted CDD last year.

That gentleman, Nick, contacted the neighbor (twice!) and had him move the vehicles since it was against CDD restrictions.

Now it's happened again, the new guy (Jim) says he only checks to make sure vehicles are parked on asphalt, no matter where.
He doesn't enforce any street parking.

So, the restriction itself hasn't changed, it's against the rules,
but the rules are not enforced now. It's basically a joke.

redwitch 03-02-2011 07:53 PM

So, the question then becomes what can be done if someone does does park in the street in violation of the restrictions? Does TV have the authority to tow the car, fine the homeowner, what? Sounds like someone needs to make sure that TV employees know what the rules actually are and have them enforce them.

Not quite sure how I'm mistaken, since I know you can't park on the street in patio villas and, at least in my area, that rule is strictly enforced -- you park on the street, you are told to move the vehicle or else (of course, we have no clue what the "or else" is).

Bill-n-Brillo 03-02-2011 08:56 PM

I re-checked the deed restrictions for our patio villa in Duval. The document states that "No owner of a Homesite shall park, store, or keep any vehicle except wholly within his driveway or garage". It goes on to mention things about working on a vehicle, no boats/trailers/campers/etc. allowed to park in parking spaces, and so on. But there is nothing specific mentioned - at least in our set of deed restrictions - about street parking.

To me, it seems to be a bit like the satellite antenna debacle of years past. There used to be a set of restrictions about how and where you could/couldn't mount a dish antenna. That all went by the wayside when the VCDD realized it wasn't within their domain to be able to restrict such things.

Regardless, I've sent an e-mail off to our friends at the VCDD to get their feedback on the street parking dealie-do. I'll post their response when I receive it.

Bill :)

Bogie Shooter 03-02-2011 10:28 PM

As most streets are narrow.....why would you want leave your car parked out where some idiot could run into it??

Barefoot 03-02-2011 11:02 PM

The streets are not owned by The Villages, so how could T V ban street parking? Village Watch has confirmed this.

Bill-n-Brillo 03-03-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 335101)
As most streets are narrow.....why would you want leave your car parked out where some idiot could run into it??

Visitors, guests, and the like. Nothing on a permanent basis.

Bill

paulandjean 03-03-2011 10:00 AM

parking

You can park on the street. except when it is a courtyard villa or patio. They do not give tickets.Our street is wide with ranch homes.Been parking for two years on the street,no problem.