Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Convert a window to door (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/convert-window-door-36603/)

Boudicca 03-03-2011 12:26 PM

Convert a window to door

We have an "at ease" cottage. The rear kitchen window/wall in the "kitchen nook" currently has a double window. There is a 6.8" window/wall space which we'd like to convert to a slider. I received a waaaay out of line estimate from THE largest contractor here, and having flipped houses myself for some years, I do know the approximate cost involved. Can anyone recommend another contractor to achieve the convertion? Thanks for your input

kb8tpw 03-03-2011 02:48 PM

I contemplated a similar project on a cottage Sand Castle and based on the two estimates I received shelved the idea, period. It's not a reasonable cost in my opinion. I was going to have to relocate a palm which further nixed the idea.

jebartle 03-03-2011 02:55 PM

We are the "Tim - the NON-toolman"

but on our own we did just the opposite, converted a door to a window door by inserting window....We were so amazed at ourselves that we told all the neighbors and they said "Sooooo!!!"...guess you had to be there....giggle...actually it was a matter of life and death, if spouse came in from the garage one more time and knocked me flat while I was folding clothes in the laundry room my golf life would be shorter...:cus::cus:

Boudicca 03-03-2011 07:43 PM

tim

Guess you had to be there! :)
We originally wanted to build a sun room on the rear of the house, but our lot is too small to allow extending out back. PLENTY of room on the side of course, but that's not where we need access to sunshine during the winter months. By converting the window to a door, we can have a cement patio poured, and gain access to it via the kitchen. Should be a simple job - LOL

batman911 03-04-2011 01:58 PM

You could consider hiring a Handy Man to install the door for you. It is a fairly simple project. You may need an electrician if there are plugs in the area under the window to be replaced. Just need to ensure everything is square and done to code. The "This Old House" web site has videos you can watch for most home improvement projects if you are handy with tools.

samhass 03-04-2011 03:30 PM

Jerome's General Contractors removed a triple window from our bedroom and installed eight foot french doors. After watching the installation, I know we could have done the job ourselves ( we are both very handy) but having Jerome do the job was so much easier! We also got a price on moving the shutter we had in that window . Joy's did the original install. They wanted 300.00 to move that shutter to another window. The two of us took it out and reinstalled it elsewhere in 15 minutes.

cryfield 03-04-2011 03:40 PM

Did a good job for us !!!

Rowe Construction,did a very good job for us at a keen price.
He is a Villager and advertises in The Daily Sun,

784caroline 03-04-2011 09:33 PM

Sent you a PM ...hope you got it.

Boudicca 03-05-2011 09:40 PM

Private Message

Thank you for your replies, and pm's I appreciate the list of contractors and will get quotes from those suggested.

mulligan 03-06-2011 08:27 AM

The only problem I can see in that you must make sure the engineering on the door and the method of installation meet the hurricane code (withstand 110 mph winds). I don't know about any insurance implications if they don't.

Boudicca 03-06-2011 09:38 PM

Good point

Thanks for the hurricane reminder. I'd forgotten about that sort of compliance.