Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Letter from Massey (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/letter-massey-36626/)

samhass 03-04-2011 08:32 AM

Letter from Massey

Massey has had our termite coverage for almost five years in both of our Village homes. Yesterday we got a letter from them stating that we are not covered for DRYWOOD termites. So, for the low price of $500.00, they will treat our attic and for an additional 25.00 per year per house we are also covered for this particular termite. I am ticked. It took them this long to figure out I wasn't covered for ALL termites? What would have happened if drywood termites had gotten into my attic before this letter? They go on to say that state regs only required the builder to treat for subterranean termites at the time of construction and that the attic is the most vulnerable area of the home. Every year when they inspect our home, they go into the attic. If I wasn't covered, why did they do that? I do not mind if they raise their rates a bit, but this seems like an outright gouge. Did anyone else get the letter?
What do you think about this? :mad:

dillywho 03-04-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samhass (Post 335386)
Massey has had our termite coverage for almost five years in both of our Village homes. Yesterday we got a letter from them stating that we are not covered for DRYWOOD termites. So, for the low price of $500.00, they will treat our attic and for an additional 25.00 per year per house we are also covered for this particular termite. I am ticked. It took them this long to figure out I wasn't covered for ALL termites? What would have happened if drywood termites had gotten into my attic before this letter? They go on to say that state regs only required the builder to treat for subterranean termites at the time of construction and that the attic is the most vulnerable area of the home. Every year when they inspect our home, they go into the attic. If I wasn't covered, why did they do that? I do not mind if they raise their rates a bit, but this seems like an outright gouge. Did anyone else get the letter?
What do you think about this? :mad:

I was quoted $300 for this and was also told that if my attic has the foil-covered type insulation, they cannot treat the attic for them because what they have to use does not penetrate. I'm checking with other companies about their coverages/guarantees/cost, etc. I do think he's right about the initial treatment, though. That's what we were told by TV when we built but there was no mention by them of the different kinds of termites. I didn't realize there were different ones. I just thought a termite was a termite.

Bill-n-Brillo 03-04-2011 09:44 AM

sam - Sounds like something to drill Massey's about. Your questions are legit!

Bill

elevatorman 03-04-2011 10:01 AM

This site tells of the different ways to treat for drywood termites and the effectiveness of each.
http://flrec.ifas.ufl.edu/entomo/Str...od/drywood.htm

Are there any cases of drywood termites in this area? They are mostly in southern FL and further south. This may be like getting hurricane coverage in West Va.

samhass 03-04-2011 10:23 AM

I called Massey and told them that I am NOT a termite person and don't know one termite from the other so I put my trust in them to protect me. Why, after 5 years ,are they just getting around to inform me of this ? If I had their pest protection would they cover me for roaches but not silverfish? We try to use the most reputable firms for products and services. I need to trust these vendors. Now I don't think I trust Massey.

Bill-n-Brillo 03-04-2011 10:36 AM

Give Dean's a buzz.

Bill

dfn8tly 03-04-2011 11:14 AM

I use Massey for lawn and shrub care. However, like Bill-n-Brillo above I find Dean's more effective for insect/termite control. It certainly doesn't hurt to talk with them.

samhass 03-04-2011 11:32 AM

Has anyone tried Bates?

Mikitv 03-04-2011 12:02 PM

I have used Deans since they did first termite treatment for our new construction. They have really good customer service. Always come right out if I spot something I don't think is right. Always answer questions when I call.

Jim 9922 03-04-2011 12:54 PM

Termites

We inherited Massey when we purchased our 2nd home for 5 years, but a couple of years ago got the "$600 pitch" about attic termites. Talked to Bates himself, who stated they could be a problen but so far nothing much has shown up in the "north" of FL.
We did switch to Bates but my imperssion is that all we really are buying (from anyone) is the "Bond" (aka insurance) against termite damage. It appears that all any of them do is sprinkle magic bug dust around the home every so often (and maybe do a vodoo dance on the front lawn at full moon). Prior to Massey we had an independent (I can only remember Joe as his name and I believe since retired) who actually drilled chemicals under the slab, and had a termite sniffing dog which would go through the house and yard once a year. While doing our yard, the dog did discover a termite nest in a neighbors yard where the Villages covered up an old tree stump.
So, is Bates better than Massey, I can't really tell except my understanding is that Bates uses a national insurance/bonding company and Massey "carries" their own "bond". We request Bates to do an inspection annually to make sure that the magic bug dust is working and to prevent a possible claim on the insurance company's part that we were not pro-active in loss prevention.
A bit of advice; if you are going to switch, be sure you start the process before the old "policy" lapses. If the new company finds termites they won't issue a bond and the old one will disclaim any coverage. Get your home "approved" by the new company so you don't get into a battle over who should pay if a subsequent problem arises. Remember, insurance companies are in business NOT to pay claims.

batman911 03-04-2011 02:29 PM

Dry wood termites are slow eaters. It takes them a long time for them to do any serious damage. Quarterly inspections by the homeowner around your home and in the attic should be sufficient to identify any infestation. You usually need to tent the whole house to get all of them. These are the termites you see flying at night. I would not want poisons sprayed needlessly all over my home. Ground termites eat fast and can do a lot of damage in a short time. You can protect you home by not placing plants near the foundation. Keeping that area dry is your best defense and costs nothing.

samhass 03-04-2011 03:17 PM

I wonder if Massey sends this out at staggered times so they don't have a wholesale revolt on their hands.
As I said, I don't mind a reasonable increase. A business is subject to rising operating costs. I do mind being gouged and finding that the "peace of mind" we have been paying for is not covering all termites. Will the next letter say I need coverage for female termites because they are not included in my present contract? Just sayin'.

golf2140 03-04-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samhass (Post 335509)
I wonder if Massey sends this out at staggered times so they don't have a wholesale revolt on their hands.
As I said, I don't mind a reasonable increase. A business is subject to rising operating costs. I do mind being gouged and finding that the "peace of mind" we have been paying for is not covering all termites. Will the next letter say I need coverage for female termites because they are not included in my present contract? Just sayin'.

Sam,

Massey got me a few years back. I didn't investigate after I received their scare letter. I had an issue with AMassey on another issue. Deans has our account now. :censored:

samhass 03-04-2011 10:26 PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions and information.

skyguy79 03-04-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf2140 (Post 335562)
Sam,

Massey got me a few years back. I didn't investigate after I received their scare letter. I had an issue with AMassey on another issue. Deans has our account now. :censored:

I have a feeling that many of us that contracted with Massey when we were new here will eventually make a change. I got pest control coverage and the paperwork clearly indicated that it covered trees. Within a few weeks we made our first call to them because we saw some spots on the leaves of a tree in front of our house. When the came they told us that we would have to hire a tree doctor because they don't treat anything that's over 12' tall! Perhaps they should change their documentation to say "minature trees!" I wonder now what the excuse will be to not provide service the next time we need to call them! Time will tell! Oh well! :(