Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Barking dog (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/barking-dog-36735/)

missypie 03-08-2011 08:12 AM

Barking dog

Does anyone have a problem with a neighbor that has a barking dog? Does your neighbor just let their dog out and bark and bark? I am thinking about a CYV or a home with a wall behind it and am concerned about about barking dogs. BTW, I own a dog and love her to pieces!

katezbox 03-08-2011 08:22 AM

Missy

We live behind a villa wall and we have a doggy. The dog behind us does bark a lot, if we come outside. Finley (who has been known to be a bit bark-y himself) generally just ignores the other dog - though in the beginning he used to bark back - and that had me worried that all the neighbors would be upset.

Mostly, I don't even hear her barking anymore - or maybe she has just gotten used to us.

Bill-n-Brillo 03-08-2011 09:08 AM

Missy -

You'll have that sometimes! We've got it - someone behind us in a CYV lets their two dogs out now and then as you'd expect they would. One of the pooches just goes on and on until they get back in the house. We never hear any attempt by the owner to quiet the guy down. Fortunately, the dogs aren't out all that often or for too long at a stretch. Overall, not bothersome to us.

Everyone: Please don't misinterpret the post - we love dogs! Just trying to respond to the o.p.'s questions.

Bill

DaleMN 03-09-2011 07:27 AM

Two doors down from our rental CYV a dog often barked incessantly, sometimes late at night or early in the morning. We could hear it clearly from our bedroom. We thought it very inconsiderate as the homeowner had to be aware of the barking. In this case "good fences did not make good neighbors". Just one reason why we would never purchase a CYV.

memason 03-09-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleMN (Post 336570)
Two doors down from our rental CYV a dog often barked incessantly, sometimes late at night or early in the morning. We could hear it clearly from our bedroom. We thought it very inconsiderate as the homeowner had to be aware of the barking. In this case "good fences did not make good neighbors". Just one reason why we would never purchase a CYV.

Just an FYI.... It doesn't have to be a CYV with a dog barking issue. Lots of folks let their pets roam the birdcage and they bark at everything that goes by.... Dog barking, once in a while isn't an issue, but one that barks constantly ....AAARRRGGGGG!!!! That would be time to invite the neighbor over for a glass of wine and [hopefully] they'd leave their dog out and it would bark the whole time they are there....

Fumar... Any suggestions ???? ;)

graciegirl 03-09-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 336577)
Just an FYI.... It doesn't have to be a CYV with a dog barking issue. Lots of folks let their pets roam the birdcage and they bark at everything that goes by.... Dog barking, once in a while isn't an issue, but one that barks constantly ....AAARRRGGGGG!!!! That would be time to invite the neighbor over for a glass of wine and [hopefully] they'd leave their dog out and it would bark the whole time they are there....

Fumar... Any suggestions ???? ;)

Fumar, just as a warning. No soup recipes.

Taj44 03-09-2011 08:20 AM

We ran into the barking dog problem in a patio villa. The villa across the street from us had a dog, and the owner would leave the windows open when she left. The dog would bark all day long. And when that dog barked, all the other dogs in the neighborhood would start barking. Drove me nuts - we sold out and moved to another neighborhood. We've been lucky here, no problems with noisy animals. I've heard that there are many dog owners in the courtyard villas, so suspect there could be a problem with barking dogs.

missypie 03-09-2011 09:07 AM

Thank you for your responses. I guess I would just go and speak to the neighbor myself. Love the idea of a CYV, but was thinking of the echo associated with the barking.

Also, if we purchased a CYV on a golf course, would the dogs bark at everyone playing the course?

I guess I'm just "thinking too much about this"!!!:confused:

Bill-n-Brillo 03-09-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missypie (Post 336604)
.....I guess I'm just "thinking too much about this"!!!:confused:

Ah, but better to give it some thought now rather than after the fact!!! :)

Bill

Redtail 03-09-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missypie (Post 336604)
Thank you for your responses. I guess I would just go and speak to the neighbor myself. Love the idea of a CYV, but was thinking of the echo associated with the barking.

Also, if we purchased a CYV on a golf course, would the dogs bark at everyone playing the course?

I guess I'm just "thinking too much about this"!!!:confused:

i live in a cyv on a golf course and my dog doesnt bark. i think its the breed not the location you should worry about.

scroll 03-09-2011 09:22 AM

Consecutive Disruption Law
In Mount Dora, Florida, the law says dogs may not bark for more than five minutes at a time. City officials may consider it excessive If a dog barks longer than five minutes, and neighbors are entitled to call police. Mount Dora law also says that a dog may not bark for more than three 5-minute periods in a 24-hour span, according to a 2007 ordinance. These laws are called consecutive disruption laws because they address problems related to dogs barking consecutively for relatively long periods of time.

ajbrown 03-09-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redtail (Post 336607)
i live in a cyv on a golf course and my dog doesnt bark. i think its the breed not the location you should worry about.

Personally I think it is the owner not the breed, but just my opinion....

I got a kick out of this :a20:

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/DS_Pro_video.htm

Of course check your deed restrictions before installing.... :police:

Bill-n-Brillo 03-09-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 336609)
Personally I think it is the owner not the breed, but just my opinion....

I got a kick out of this :a20:

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/DS_Pro_video.htm

Of course check your deed restrictions before installing.... :police:

aj - Doesn't sound like it would be the answer to ALL barking, though:

"The Dog Silencer Pro trains dogs to stop nuisance barking (boredom and attention-getting barking) but is designed to have no effect on instinctual or protective barking."

Bill

Dynasty 03-09-2011 10:35 AM

I had a problem with a barking dog in the home behind mine. I simply put my speakers in the window turned up the volume and played a recording of a dog barking. It only took a couple times and the problem was solved.

wendyquat 03-09-2011 02:10 PM

Although not in The Village YET, I solved our dog barking problem with a little $10 "BarkOFF" that I got at WalMart. It hurts their ears and they stop barking. Now I just have to put it where he sees it and not even turn it on and he won't bark. Don't know what the range is but works all over the house.