Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Sugar, Sugar Ugh! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/sugar-sugar-ugh-36785/)

jebartle 03-10-2011 06:39 AM

Sugar, Sugar Ugh!

Trying to cut down on sugar intake....Is there ANYTHING that is a good snack that is NOT loaded with sugar....I must be living under a rock, had NO idea that cereal is LOADED with sugar...

cybermuda 03-10-2011 07:33 AM

If you want to replace boxed cereal at breakfast, try switching to porage.

Make with water (no sugar or salt) and microwave for two minutes, then add blueberries or other berries

Go for the 'traditional' rather than the 'quick' oats as they give the stomach a better work-out, and definitely avoid any with stuff already added - maple syrup, brown sugar etc.

I buy Quaker in a bag or drum, but Winn-Dixie's own own almost as good (and on special right now)

Once you start getting off sugar, it's amazing how quickly you don't miss it.

graciegirl 03-10-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybermuda (Post 336903)
If you want to replace boxed cereal at breakfast, try switching to porage.

Make with water (no sugar or salt) and microwave for two minutes, then add blueberries or other berries

Go for the 'traditional' rather than the 'quick' oats as they give the stomach a better work-out, and definitely avoid any with stuff already added - maple syrup, brown sugar etc.

I buy Quaker in a bag or drum, but Winn-Dixie's own own almost as good (and on special right now)

Once you start getting off sugar, it's amazing how quickly you don't miss it.

Even porridge, oats or wheat, are carbohydrates that your body will convert in part to sucrose.

If you are trying to adjust your intake because of diabetes, cheese and raw vegetables are a good snack.

Avista 03-10-2011 08:13 AM

Another low sugar cereal is Uncle Sam's. Sugar less than 1 Gram. Also 10 gram of fiber per 3/4 cup. Look for a red and white striped border. Available at Wal-Mart and I have also found it at Publix.

zcaveman 03-10-2011 08:55 AM

Wheaties, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice, and Shredded Wheat are my cereals - low in sugar.

Try the sugar free Murray cookies for a snack.

Ohiogirl 03-10-2011 09:54 AM

glycemic index

sure would be nice if part of the FDA label on food included the glycemic index, instead of just the carb count. I've been looking online, but the same item (unless it's a raw veg or fruit) varies a lot depending on which index you use.

Amazingly, found out that the glycemic index Uncle Ben's Converted rice is around the same (maybe even a little less) than brown rice. Still not something you will eat unlimited amounts of. Hope this is true. Brown rice has a gram of fiber, though, and UB's has 0.

I think Freeda had a post a while back explaining the glycemic index a lot better than I can.

Ohiogirl 03-10-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman (Post 336932)
Wheaties, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice, and Shredded Wheat are my cereals - low in sugar.

Try the sugar free Murray cookies for a snack.

Where do you buy Murray cookies?

salpal 03-10-2011 12:04 PM

greek yogurt is a good low or no sugar snack

Freeda 03-10-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohiogirl (Post 336959)
sure would be nice if part of the FDA label on food included the glycemic index, instead of just the carb count. I've been looking online, but the same item (unless it's a raw veg or fruit) varies a lot depending on which index you use.

Amazingly, found out that the glycemic index Uncle Ben's Converted rice is around the same (maybe even a little less) than brown rice. Still not something you will eat unlimited amounts of. Hope this is true. Brown rice has a gram of fiber, though, and UB's has 0.

I think Freeda had a post a while back explaining the glycemic index a lot better than I can.

I am in a bit of a rush b/c assisting my daughter in Louisville with a medical treatment today; but the problem with all carbs (even many of the healthy-sounding ones, like containing 'whole grain', etc) is that unless they are low-glycemic (below 55 on the glycemic index) or at most moderate-glycemic, the body converts them quickly into sugar - glucose - and so they spike the blood sugar just the same (and sometimes even more) as if they had actually 'sugar' (sucrose) as an ingredient. That is the problem with food labeling; the sugar content labelling is not all that helpful at best and is misleading at worst. Glycemicindex.com is a good place to start in understanding this.

This issue, which is the current trend in nutritional science, yet still poorly understood/not taught to our physicians, nutritionists and other healthcare providers (if it were, we wouldn't see the fast food places and vending machines full of snack crackers in our hospitals ; but I digress) is one of the biggest reasons for the weight problems/type II diabetes epidemic in the western-diet world, and is one of the reason type II diabetics following standard advice tend to stay type-II diabetics. Most cereals (but not all - some bran cereals, for example, are not) are high-glycemic and spike the blood sugar unnaturally regardless of what the label says as to the 'sugar' level per serving.

Not surprisingingly the food industry opposes the FDA requiring glycemic-index labelling on food products.

K9-Lovers 03-10-2011 12:34 PM

Other foods that your wouldn't think to avoid are listed below. They turn to sugar during digestion:

white potatoes
corn
bananas
rice
bread
catsup
alcohol (yes, that includes wine and beer)
there are lots more. . .

Freeda gave good advice regarding glycemic index -- that's the best way to adjust your diet to remain healthy.

jebartle 03-10-2011 01:25 PM

Sure would like to know

what I can eat, sounds like there are tooooo many things to NOT eat....Especially looking for something besides celery to munch on
during those "gotta have something" periods. I've been on-line and amazed by the long list of BAD things.....Can you have an artifical sweetner like Splenda?

K9-Lovers 03-10-2011 01:29 PM

Splenda is okay. But NO nutrasweet or aspertame. The best and most healthy is stevia. But get the liquid stevia because the powdered has a bitter aftertaste. I get my stevia online from Amazon.

jebartle 03-10-2011 03:01 PM

K-9 you are never ending source of good info

We would also like to know if popcorn is acceptable, I'm afraid I know the answer.....Isn't there something wonderful that doesn't give me a sugar high!....giggle...

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9-Lovers (Post 337054)
Splenda is okay. But NO nutrasweet or aspertame. The best and most healthy is stevia. But get the liquid stevia because the powdered has a bitter aftertaste. I get my stevia online from Amazon.

K9-Lovers 03-10-2011 03:58 PM

No/Low Sugar Treats and Snacks

Lots of people say popcorn is a healthy treat. BUT it is almost all carbs which cause weight gain and turns to sugar when digested (cause it is corn). Especially when you add butter and salt (and my favorite, parmesan cheese). But I love popcorn so I save all my popcorn eating for when I go to the movies. Other than that, no popcorn for me.

A good healthy snack is nuts! I get the big containers from Sams Club. I eat both salted and unsalted. They say unsalted is best but you have to have some vices! The healthiest nuts are walnuts.

If you can make yourself only eat a small bit, dark chocolate is good for you. I buy Dove (cause it's the creamiest) at Walgreens. They have the big bars that are 72% chocolate. Inside the package there are 3 wrapped sections. I eat a section a day, usually. Some days I skip.

Okay, now I'm going to share some EASY recipes with you that are sugar free and very good:

Chocolate Fudge

6-7 oz unsweetened Ghiradelli chocolate squares (buy good chocolate at Fresh Market, they look like candy bars but are 100% chocolate with no sugar)
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
3/4 - 1 cup erythritol (order from amazon.com)
1 cup Splenda
splash of stevia
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water. While the chocolate is melting, grind granulated erythritol in food processor or blender until in powder form.

Remove melted chocolate from heat. Add peanut butter and let it melt completely, stirring. Then add all other ingredients. Spread into loaf pan and put in fridge to cool and harden. Cut with a knife that has been heated by running under hot water.

Really yummy. (Erythritol is a sugar alcohol and is safe to eat. Very low carbs)

~~~~~~~~~~

K9's Favorite Healthy Cookies

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

DRY INGREDIENTS
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/3 cups Quaker Oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

WET INGREDIENTS
1 cup sugar
1 cups Splenda
2/3 cups granulated erthritol (sugar substitute)
2/3 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup canned pumpkin -- not pump.pie filling
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds -- (optional)
tablespoon wheat germ -- (optional)

ADDED INGREDIENTS
2+ cups chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds -- (optional)
1 1/2 cups raisins or craisins

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 greased baking sheets or use silpat.

Mix together dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet in 3 batches, folding to combine. Fold in Added Ingredients.

Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets. They don't spread very much so they can be placed only an inch apart. Flatten the tops of the cookies with a fork or your fingers to press into cookie shape.

Bake for 16 minutes. Rotate baking sheets halfway through for even baking. Cool. Taste best when cooled and set.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay, one more:
Low Carb Cheesecake

5 8 ounce pkgs cream cheese (room temp.)
1/4 cup heavy cream (room temp.)
36 packages sugar substitute (splenda)
7 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

Beat cream cheese with sweetener until smooth. Add eggs, cream, extract, lemon juice and salt. Beat for 5 minutes. pour into a greased springform pan and bake 12 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 and bake 35 minutes longer. Turn off oven and leave cake in for another 30 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan. Refrigerate overnight and remove from pan before serving. Cake may crack during baking, but that is normal. Freezes well.

Last one:
Pumpkin Pie Low Carb

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese -- softened
2 cups canned pumpkin -- mashed
1 1/2 cups spenda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, plus 2 yolks -- slightly beaten
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup (1 stick) butter -- melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a mixer. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the splenda and salt, beat until combined. Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice and beat until incorporated.

Pour the filling into a prepared pie crust, or into a baking dish or ramekin with no crust. (I do individual baking dishes with no crust).

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature. Serve with whipped cream.

Better the next day.

jebartle 03-10-2011 04:05 PM

Goodness K9, Love you

Yummmmm!....Thank you, Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9-Lovers (Post 337092)
Lots of people say popcorn is a healthy treat. BUT it is almost all carbs which cause weight gain and turns to sugar when digested (cause it is corn). Especially when you add butter and salt (and my favorite, parmesan cheese). But I love popcorn so I save all my popcorn eating for when I go to the movies. Other than that, no popcorn for me.

A good healthy snack is nuts! I get the big containers from Sams Club. I eat both salted and unsalted. They say unsalted is best but you have to have some vices! The healthiest nuts are walnuts.

If you can make yourself only eat a small bit, dark chocolate is good for you. I buy Dove (cause it's the creamiest) at Walgreens. They have the big bars that are 72% chocolate. Inside the package there are 3 wrapped sections. I eat a section a day, usually. Some days I skip.

Okay, now I'm going to share some EASY recipes with you that are sugar free and very good:

Chocolate Fudge

6-7 oz unsweetened Ghiradelli chocolate squares (buy good chocolate at Fresh Market, they look like candy bars but are 100% chocolate with no sugar)
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
3/4 - 1 cup erythritol (order from amazon.com)
1 cup Splenda
splash of stevia
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water. While the chocolate is melting, grind granulated erythritol in food processor or blender until in powder form.

Remove melted chocolate from heat. Add peanut butter and let it melt completely, stirring. Then add all other ingredients. Spread into loaf pan and put in fridge to cool and harden. Cut with a knife that has been heated by running under hot water.

Really yummy. (Erythritol is a sugar alcohol and is safe to eat. Very low carbs)

~~~~~~~~~~

K9's Favorite Healthy Cookies

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

DRY INGREDIENTS
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/3 cups Quaker Oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

WET INGREDIENTS
1 cup sugar
1 cups Splenda
2/3 cups granulated erthritol (sugar substitute)
2/3 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup canned pumpkin -- not pump.pie filling
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds -- (optional)
tablespoon wheat germ -- (optional)

ADDED INGREDIENTS
2+ cups chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds -- (optional)
1 1/2 cups raisins or craisins

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 greased baking sheets or use silpat.

Mix together dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet in 3 batches, folding to combine. Fold in Added Ingredients.

Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets. They don't spread very much so they can be placed only an inch apart. Flatten the tops of the cookies with a fork or your fingers to press into cookie shape.

Bake for 16 minutes. Rotate baking sheets halfway through for even baking. Cool. Taste best when cooled and set.

Okay, one more:
Low Carb Cheesecake

5 8 ounce pkgs cream cheese (room temp.)
1/4 cup heavy cream (room temp.)
36 packages sugar substitute (splenda)
7 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

Beat cream cheese with sweetener until smooth. Add eggs, cream, extract, lemon juice and salt. Beat for 5 minutes. pour into a greased springform pan and bake 12 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 and bake 35 minutes longer. Turn off oven and leave cake in for another 30 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan. Refrigerate overnight and remove from pan before serving. Cake may crack during baking, but that is normal. Freezes well.

Last one:
Pumpkin Pie Low Carb

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese -- softened
2 cups canned pumpkin -- mashed
1 1/2 cups spenda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, plus 2 yolks -- slightly beaten
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup (1 stick) butter -- melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a mixer. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the splenda and salt, beat until combined. Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice and beat until incorporated.

Pour the filling into a prepared pie crust, or into a baking dish or ramekin with no crust. (I do individual baking dishes with no crust).

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature. Serve with whipped cream.

Better the next day.