Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Computer problelms.... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/computer-problelms-37000/)

barb1191 03-17-2011 09:16 PM

Computer problelms....

The last few days it seems that something has changed with my 'puter, and don't know if it's my 'puter, my IP Comcast, or AOL. I've cleared all the junk off of the computer and am having trouble logging on to EVERYTHING. Each time I try to logon to TOTV, my ID and pw are not saved and when I finally get the logon screen for TOTV, I have to logon each and every time. Also, the emails I receive from TOTV where I have contributed to a forum and TOTV sends cc's to all who participated in that forum, I consistently receive TWO copies of the same email. Also 'puter is freezing up lots.

Think I need to take a ride down to MMD and have them check my 'puter. Can't figure what this overload situation is all about; sure hope it's not a virus or something imposing. Anyone else having this problem? I have Comcast as a provider and will check with them as well.

Do you suppose that y'all suffering with the flu here in TV have streamed the virus in cyberspace and made our 'puters sick? just kidding
:22yikes:

ducati1974 03-17-2011 09:46 PM

We got sick of all that nonsense and switched to a Mac... so far, so good!

schotzyb 03-17-2011 09:50 PM

Barb, I also have Comcast as my provider and thankfully I am not having any of the issues you mentioned.

Barefoot 03-17-2011 10:46 PM

Barb, we have Comcast. We don't have any problems like the ones you've described.

I do have a problem in that every single thing on my Acer laptop computer suddenly changed to teeny, tiny print. The print is so tiny I can barely read it. If I google or look at e-mail, or the weather channel, TOTV, anything. I've gone to "text size", display appearance, all the obvious fixes. I'm so frustrated. I wish I could blame Comcast, but I think I've somehow done it myself!

ajbrown 03-18-2011 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 338858)

I do have a problem in that every single thing on my Acer laptop computer suddenly changed to teeny, tiny print. The print is so tiny I can barely read it. If I google or look at e-mail, or the weather channel, TOTV, anything. I've gone to "text size", display appearance, all the obvious fixes. I'm so frustrated. I wish I could blame Comcast, but I think I've somehow done it myself!

Maybe the browser zoom level has changed? In IE the zoom can be controlled by <View><Zoom> or in the lower right hand corner there is a magnifying glass with xxx%. "Normal" is 100%.

JenAjd 03-18-2011 06:53 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barb, we have Comcast. We don't have any problems like the ones you've described.

I have an Acer netbook and mine will do that "small thing" every now and then too. I think it's the machine that does it because I too don't know what I've done to do it. I've not been real happy with my netbook over-all, since I've gotten it for alot of reasons. I'd go to a regular laptop next time I think. Anyway, to change the font size go up into the top of your computer where it says "page" then click on text size and then on 100% That should fix it for the task you're doing. We don't have Comcast at our house so it's not them.

Bill-n-Brillo 03-18-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 338858)

A change to your Screen Resolution can cause that. Go to 'Control Panel', 'Display', then 'Settings' - you can fiddle with selecting the available resolutions to see if that takes care of things.

Hope that helps! :)

Bill

Raymond 03-18-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb1191 (Post 338836)

The last few days it seems that something has changed with my 'puter, and don't know if it's my 'puter, my IP Comcast, or AOL. I've cleared all the junk off of the computer and am having trouble logging on to EVERYTHING. Each time I try to logon to TOTV, my ID and pw are not saved and when I finally get the logon screen for TOTV, I have to logon each and every time.

Check your cookie settings. Cookies must be enabled in order to keep you logged on.

SALYBOW 03-24-2011 12:24 PM

Same thing happened to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb1191 (Post 338836)

The last few days it seems that something has changed with my 'puter, and don't know if it's my 'puter, my IP Comcast, or AOL. I've cleared all the junk off of the computer and am having trouble logging on to EVERYTHING. Each time I try to logon to TOTV, my ID and pw are not saved and when I finally get the logon screen for TOTV, I have to logon each and every time. Also, the emails I receive from TOTV where I have contributed to a forum and TOTV sends cc's to all who participated in that forum, I consistently receive TWO copies of the same email. Also 'puter is freezing up lots.

Think I need to take a ride down to MMD and have them check my 'puter. Can't figure what this overload situation is all about; sure hope it's not a virus or something imposing. Anyone else having this problem? I have Comcast as a provider and will check with them as well.

Do you suppose that y'all suffering with the flu here in TV have streamed the virus in cyberspace and made our 'puters sick? just kidding
:22yikes:

I was told I have a virus and it would cost $300.00 to have it cleaned up. Does anyone know of some place cheaper?

Mikeod 03-24-2011 04:15 PM

Try malwarebytes.com. If your computer won't work enough to download it and run it, see if someone can download it for you to a thumb drive and run it from there. It is free and if it doesn't work, you can still take it to a tech for cleaning.

barb1191 03-24-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SALYBOW (Post 340577)
I was told I have a virus and it would cost $300.00 to have it cleaned up. Does anyone know of some place cheaper?

WOW, I would NOT pay $300 to someone who sez u have a virus!! If you're living in TV, MMD Computers on Rte 441 in Lady Lake are very reputable and the TV Computer Club also recommends them. I think I saw their ad in the TV newspaper where they charge $100 for removing a virus.

Whatever problem I had, I resolved it myself by....

I Restored it to an earlier date which could possibly get rid of any potential glitch.....

I use AOL and UNinstalled the AOL software and REinstalled Version 9.6 and that solved my problems, thank goodness.

Good luck (don't pay $300)

SALYBOW 03-26-2011 01:33 PM

Thanks all

Nope I knew 300.00 was way too high, I will follow your reccomendations,:D