Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   From Missouri - Show me (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/missouri-show-me-37033/)

eweissenbach 03-19-2011 03:07 PM

From Missouri - Show me

I have found it interesting that Missouri seems to be relatively poorly represented in TV (Not discounting the formidable presence of Swrinfla!!!!). Seem to be a ton of transplanted New Englanders along with Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and native Floridians. Is it my imagination or do you agree? My theory is that Missouri is just far enough west to be more oriented to Texas and Arizona for winter or retirement sites, and far enough south to allow some to think they can tough out the short winter. I have spent some winter time in South Padre Island, Texas over the last few years, and while it has it's attractions, it is not as warm as Florida and hasn't near the activities of TV, and I have no interest in the desert. Are there more Missourians than I am aware of, or any other theories as to why not? (Please no Kansans saying we are not smart enough to appreciate TV!)

rubicon 03-19-2011 03:25 PM

From Missouri

Sir the following states are welll represented MN, IA WI, IL, OH, N Y NJ CT, MA. Why not Missouri? " Am I in heaven" "No, this is Missouri.":BigApplause:

Mikitv 03-19-2011 03:54 PM

Well my neighbors are from Missouri and they live here in TV. We moved from Ark near the Missouri boot heel.

eweissenbach 03-19-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 339215)
Sir the following states are welll represented MN, IA WI, IL, OH, N Y NJ CT, MA. Why not Missouri? " Am I in heaven" "No, this is Missouri.":BigApplause:

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Rep. Willard Vandiver, 1899
:ohdear:

teachnmo 03-20-2011 03:28 PM

Count me in from Missouri

We have found that most of the people from Missouri come from the eastern side of the state (St. Louis). We have a relative that lives in The Villages and we had vacationed here. I really don't think that it is advertised that much in Missouri. I had some friends stop in to see me (two from Lake Viking) and they were amazed at what The Villages offer.

jebartle 03-20-2011 03:40 PM

Hi Missouri

Welcome!.....There are a ton of Californians here, so that theory of Arizona and Texas being closer won't work!....Biggest question coming from any state is, How will I manage without family if living too far away from the grandchildren!

Bogie Shooter 03-20-2011 05:02 PM

Could it be the entrance exams??:D

california dreamer 03-20-2011 08:28 PM

My hubby is originally from ST Louis, die hard Rams and Blues fan. I'm having a hard time getting him to visit TV, because he is from the Show Me State. He really thinks TV is too good to be true! Maybe that's why there aren't more people from Missouri at TV....
I'm actually thinking of communicating via Sykpe with TV residents, just to show him that there are real people who live in TV and it's not all advertising hype.:smiley:

Pturner 03-20-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by california dreamer (Post 339573)
My hubby is originally from ST Louis, die hard Rams and Blues fan. I'm having a hard time getting him to visit TV, because he is from the Show Me State. He really thinks TV is too good to be true! Maybe that's why there aren't more people from Missouri at TV....
I'm actually thinking of communicating via Sykpe with TV residents, just to show him that there are real people who live in TV and it's not all advertising hype.:smiley:

Since he's a "show me" kinda guy, it's only fair that he come see for himself. Ya gotta get him on that plane! We're with you all the way, California Dreamer. You get him here, we'll all make sure he drinks plenty of the um ... cool refreshing drink. :highfive:

memason 03-21-2011 06:31 AM

One visit will not cure the "it's too good to be true" syndrome.

Any good Midwesterner will require a minimum of 3 visits to determine that TV is really....well, real.

No place is perfect, but for my money, TV is pretty dang close...

Just saying... :thumbup:

murlock 03-21-2011 09:20 AM

From Missouri and proud of it

My husband and I are from Middle Missouri and we know of 2 other couples from our part of the state as well. The Villages has not advertised much in this part of the United States and therefore is relatively unheard of. We discovered The Villages from an article in Forbes Magazine and decided to check it out as we were searching for a second home in Florida. We had searched both coasts and when we visited here we knew we had arrived in paradise! The Villages showed us!:BigApplause::thumbup:

wynnshanks 07-30-2011 09:29 PM

Well, we're from Missouri, we saw the Villages for the first time the second week of June this year......fell in love, (With TV....we already were in love), went back to St. Louis, put our house up for sale and sold it in 9 days. Then we came right back to the Villages spent two days looking at oodles of houses, picked one , made a bid, and they accepeted. Then, it was back to Missouri, now we are packing and we'll be in the Village of Hemmingway by Aug. 22nd! All in less than three months. So, there are a few of us, come on down.

Cgirmo 07-30-2011 09:35 PM

Cape Girardeau here, but still a wanna be. Spent a week in June and will be back in September but being a resident is 3 years away.:(

Schaumburger 07-30-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wynnshanks (Post 375940)
Well, we're from Missouri, we saw the Villages for the first time the second week of June this year......fell in love, (With TV....we already were in love), went back to St. Louis, put our house up for sale and sold it in 9 days. Then we came right back to the Villages spent two days looking at oodles of houses, picked one , made a bid, and they accepeted. Then, it was back to Missouri, now we are packing and we'll be in the Village of Hemmingway by Aug. 22nd! All in less than three months. So, there are a few of us, come on down.

Wynnshanks, Whoo Hoo you move fast! Congatulations! You will be a Village Person in 3 weeks! :coolsmiley:

Schaumburger 07-30-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cgirmo (Post 375942)
Cape Girardeau here, but still a wanna be. Spent a week in June and will be back in September but being a resident is 3 years away.:(

Cgirmo, :welcome: Greetings from Chicago and Welcome to TOTV. I will also be a long term TV wannabee so I know how you feel. Keep posting and keep reading TOTV and you will be a well informed TV resident before you know it.