Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   Libyan "solution" (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/libyan-solution-37036/)

Guest 03-19-2011 05:55 PM

Libyan "solution"

OK so the UN wasn't happy that Gaddafi was bombing his own people. Their solution is to launch 112 cruise missles (so far) into Libya. Am I missing something? I know they want to hit key targets but what about "collateral" damage? (read that as people)

Guest 03-19-2011 05:58 PM

Yes it does seem questionable doesn't it? Obama sits on his hands for a whole lot of other things but strongly supports this and follows through?? There's probably a whole lot more than meets the eye of us common people.

Guest 03-19-2011 07:26 PM

Yeah. There is.

Remember the worldwide condemnation that we got for "jumping the gun" in Iraq?

Obama is avoiding that LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Remember the fact that we already have 2 wars we can't afford?

Obama is letting the UK and France take the lead on this one. In a *shocking* turn of events, FRANCE was the first military to actually pull a trigger in this conflict.

So... All those people who we crying and moaning over the rest of the world not standing up.. Are you FINALLY going to give Obama some props now?

Of course not.

Well, I have a LOT of disappointments when it comes to Obama, but I think he handled this one ALMOST perfectly. The only way it could have been better would be if he were able to goad the UN into passing the resolution a few days earlier. But, I'm not going to be TOO down on that as Japan had a lot of people's attention.

Bill Maher wondered what the Republicans would think of this...

It's a war - so that's good!
But it costs money - so that's bad.
But it's against Muslims - so that's good!
But the UN is involved, so that's bad...

Guest 03-19-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 339260)
Yeah. There is.

Remember the worldwide condemnation that we got for "jumping the gun" in Iraq?

Obama is avoiding that LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Remember the fact that we already have 2 wars we can't afford?

Obama is letting the UK and France take the lead on this one. In a *shocking* turn of events, FRANCE was the first military to actually pull a trigger in this conflict.

So... All those people who we crying and moaning over the rest of the world not standing up.. Are you FINALLY going to give Obama some props now?

Of course not.

Well, I have a LOT of disappointments when it comes to Obama, but I think he handled this one ALMOST perfectly. The only way it could have been better would be if he were able to goad the UN into passing the resolution a few days earlier. But, I'm not going to be TOO down on that as Japan had a lot of people's attention.

But the UN is involved, so that's bad...

A thoughtful post but wondering what the point of this part was....

But the UN is involved, so that's bad...[/QUOTE]

Guest 03-20-2011 08:36 AM

The first part of my post, I was simply stating my opinions.

The second part was more to point out that there are those out there (and we'll see them on the news channels, no doubt) who's opinions are decided by the phrase "How can this make Obama look bad". Those who are NOT guided by principle but by partisanship.

I've seen this wave of Republicans do a complete 180 on their own proposals when Obama supports them. I saw George Bush do a 180 on the concept of a Constitutional Ammendment prohibiting gay marriage IN TEN DAYS. I'm wondering where the GOP will come down on this because their own rhetoric can be interpreted to be for AND against the actions in Libya.

Guest 03-20-2011 08:58 AM

I am totally against this war. Yes.. it is a war. The gov says it is NOT to remove a gov. I do not believe that. It will not stop until Gadhafi is gone, and everyone knows it. If I am wrong please tell me what is the END GAME? When will we quit attacking Libya?

Our gov calls the militants "peaceful demonstrators". Is that what they would call tea partiers IF they had taken over cities, destroyed public buildings, and taken control of military vehicles and weapons? I sincerely doubt they would be called "peaceful".
We must stop being the policeman of the world. We need to get out of iraq, afghanistan, and Libya. If we get attacked, kick their butts and get out. No more nation building. We are BROKE. Our economy is in serious trouble. Balance the budget.
JJ

Guest 03-20-2011 09:25 AM

I agree JimJoe. I thought enforcement of a "no-fly" zone would just mean keeping Gadhafi's air force grounded. Instead we are bombing the hell out of Gadhafi's military. We have chosen sides. We have interfered in their civil war.
How would we have felt about other countries taking sides in our own civil war?
Is it OK for rebels to attack the government, but not the reverse? Why is the bloodshed on Gadhafi's side not worth as much as the bloodshed on the rebels side? Don't misunderstand me, I am not a Gadhafi supporter, I'm just trying to understand the UN & US position.

Guest 03-20-2011 09:46 AM

WHERE IS THE LEFT?? Come out come out whereever you are!!
This is one issue where the left and the tea party should agree..
The left is against war.. right???
Come out and BLAST Obama AND his supporters on the RHINOS ON THE RIGHT..
The left is against this type of military action. The tea party is against unnecessary spending and this is going to cost BILLIONS that will be borrowed from China, or printed by the FED..and which is rapidly destroying this country..
LEFT and TEA PARTIERS UNIT!!
We need to stop this NOW before it is too late. Without American boots on the ground, this war will go on for years.. Then the boots would stay because we have never learned how to get out once we are in..
We will soon run out of air targets because Gadhafi is wising up and moving his forces into the cities where we will not bomb.

JJ

Guest 03-20-2011 09:54 AM

Military action to help oppressed people, Guantanamo still open and military trials to resume, addresses that sound eerily close to G.W. Bush quotes; I can't imagine what the left wing is thinking about all this. I'm wondering if we all misunderestimated this President.

Guest 03-20-2011 10:32 AM

Why didnt the congress get to vote on this declaration of war? Why did the UN get to vote on it instead? Are we citizens of the US or of the new world order?
I can see the need for the president to act quickly to act in response to an attack on VITAL American interests.. with MANDATORY vote by Congress.
Now Presidents from both parties have decided they do not need Congress, just the UN, to go to war. Wake up CONGRESS!!!!! WHERE ARE YOU?

Guest 03-20-2011 10:38 AM

JimJoe

Thank you for your post. I agree with you 100%. We need to take care of our hungry children, unemployed and sick.

I'm appalled by the many cut backs our government has implemented at the expense of fellow Americans, yet our government finds the money for war in the middle east.

I understand why we are at war - OIL. We could find alternative energy sources and break our dependence on OIL. I understand that war stimulates the economy, even though the loss of life always occurs, but hey, the economy is stimulated. It's stimulated at who's expense?

I may seem liberal, conservative or you can tag me whatever you want. But I love my country, I love being a Free American Woman. I lived in Iran 1977-1978 and travelled extensively throughout the middle east.

One of the profound things I discovered about myself, was that I lived in a country that had fought and established a constitution based on freedom. When I came home from the middle east, I was so grateful to be home, I looked at my world completely differently. I started a business, Women can have a business in our country. I divorced my husband, Women can get a divorce in our country. I had a voice, a vote, an opinion because our country
went through a revolution and we established a constitution.

I believe we need to let these countries establish their own form of government or constitutions without our interference. Allow these countries the dignity to evolve in the manner they need to, not in the image of America. The American way is not for everyone, we are a unique country, a unique people. We are a composite of many cultures thus more tolerant of each other most of the time.

My opinion is just my opinion, thank God that I do have a voice in this wonderful country we call The United States of America.

Guest 03-20-2011 01:32 PM

Libya

I am a Republican so whatever Obama does I believe the opposite solution was the better choice.:D Actually I believe that Obama is an artful dodger and was not going to move without international support to give him cover from his political base. If the international inititative only calls to eliminate the mad man and then return troops home it would have served its purpose and the people of Libya. If anyone believes that maintain stablility in the oil market is an selfish end they might look back at gas prices and their effect on food prices in this country.

Finally there was an old Abbott and Costello routine where the words Niagra Falls greatly upset this guy Abbott and Costello met in jail. Upo hearing "Niagra Falls" the guy would "slowly I turned and step by step" reaching costelloand then choking him. Well someone mentioned "Bill Maher" and slowly I turned and sep by step"....................:D