Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   utility boxes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/utility-boxes-37041/)

cynkr67 03-19-2011 08:49 PM

utility boxes

Hello all you landscapers. We have a large utility box plus several smaller ones in the rear corner of our yard. I have read where whatever we plant must leave 3' clearance to the boxes. Any suggestions for what we might do to landscape that area, blocking out the sight of the ugly boxes? Thanks in advance for any help!! Cynthia

downeaster 03-19-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynkr67 (Post 339290)
Hello all you landscapers. We have a large utility box plus several smaller ones in the rear corner of our yard. I have read where whatever we plant must leave 3' clearance to the boxes. Any suggestions for what we might do to landscape that area, blocking out the sight of the ugly boxes? Thanks in advance for any help!! Cynthia

I would check with the utility companies. I don't believe you can block the electric utility box from view from the street. They made my neighbor cut his hedge back in front of the box in his back yard.

We are fortunate here. In a lot of subdivisions the utility boxes are in the front yard. Still better than utility poles.

mulligan 03-20-2011 06:13 AM

According to seco, you must leave 10' clear in front of the door side, and 3' clear on all other sides. This is a safety requirement. The service people operate the switches inside with a long pole, and need the room to work unhindered.

cynkr67 03-20-2011 03:54 PM

utility boxes

Thanks, everyone. I will double check with SECO. I have seen them with plantings around them and without. Don't want to spend for landscaping that'll have to be torn up!

Bill-n-Brillo 03-20-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 339321)
According to seco, you must leave 10' clear in front of the door side, and 3' clear on all other sides. This is a safety requirement. The service people operate the switches inside with a long pole, and need the room to work unhindered.

To confirm mulligan's post, here the info noted from SECO's web site:

http://www.secoenergy.com/planting.html

Bill

cynkr67 03-24-2011 09:59 PM

Thanks

Appreciate the info from SECO. Thanks!

golf2140 03-24-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 339321)

What a child, class of 65. :BigApplause:

getdul981 03-25-2011 07:06 AM

We had the landscapers plant mewley grass (sp?) in front of the box. It will grow up to hide the box. If they need to access the box, they or I can just cut it down and it will grow back. At least that's what I was told by the landscaper. I hope it will block some of the hum that that thing emits too.

cynkr67 03-27-2011 06:34 PM

Thanks, I definitely will check into that!

SALYBOW 03-27-2011 09:58 PM

Spelling

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdul981 (Post 340784)
We had the landscapers plant mewley grass (sp?) in front of the box. It will grow up to hide the box. If they need to access the box, they or I can just cut it down and it will grow back. At least that's what I was told by the landscaper. I hope it will block some of the hum that that thing emits too.

It is spelled Muhly grass and is beautiful when iin bloom. If you plant it 3" away it will still hide the box quite nicely. Other ideas are Papmpas grass or Purple fountain grass. A varigated lygustrum or Chinese Privet" and/ or a loropeddulum are nice also.