Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Politeness (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/politeness-37088/)

PennBF 03-21-2011 09:18 AM

Politeness

Has anyone noticed the difference in the residents/renters politeness in
Dec thru April as opposed to May - Nov..
We are year around and notice that in the winter when the crowds get here
there is a change in people being polite to one another. Wonder if it is
because of the frustration with so many being here or just the nature of the
beast? During the winter months there is more anger with traffic, parking
and just general interaction. In the summer months there is very little of
these negative attitudes? Just curious??:rant

biker 03-21-2011 11:49 AM

We have sure noticed a difference. Some drivers seem to go out of there way to honk their horns aggressively at golf carts rather than just being a little patient. The golf cart drivers often don't have time to react to the speed of the approaching cars. I have also noticed the same type of attitudes while biking. It seems some drivers just don't like to deal with shared roadways.

Mallory 03-21-2011 11:57 AM

Hopefully they'll be gone soon and we can return to normalcy.

paulandjean 03-21-2011 12:28 PM

Have not noticed any difference.Like it when people come down for the winter. There is plenty of space for everyone. I for one like them to stay.

Minnesotalyn 03-21-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker (Post 339710)
We have sure noticed a difference. Some drivers seem to go out of there way to honk their horns aggressively at golf carts rather than just being a little patient. The golf cart drivers often don't have time to react to the speed of the approaching cars. I have also noticed the same type of attitudes while biking. It seems some drivers just don't like to deal with shared roadways.

Hi Biker, Are you from Eau Claire? I was born & raised. Graduated from North High "72":thumbup:

K9-Lovers 03-21-2011 02:29 PM

We haven't noticed any rudeness. There is more traffic, of course, and more people at the restaurants, but everyone seems to be in a good mood and very friendly.

Perhaps the folks you've encountered brought the "hustle bustle" mentality with them and hadn't yet had time to relax.

TommyT 03-21-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennBF (Post 339665)
Has anyone noticed the difference in the residents/renters politeness in
Dec thru April as opposed to May - Nov..

YES

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

biker 03-21-2011 03:11 PM

Yes, I taught at UWEC for 30 years and we still have a home in Eau Claire.

red tail 03-21-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 339771)
YES

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

new yorkers.... you gotta love em !

Francie 03-21-2011 05:54 PM

I will be visiting for 2 weeks in April and PROMISE to be polite. It's easy to do this by following the golden rule!

waterman1952 03-21-2011 05:59 PM

Seems to me that this whole conversation is impolite.

faithfulfrank 03-21-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterman1952 (Post 339809)
Seems to me that this whole conversation is impolite.

Agreed....although I am not a Villager. I would think that the wiser folks would see snowbirds as potential future year round neighbors.

I'm not trying to stir the pot at all, because I think you folks are terrific. I will say that I have had people rent my place as snowbirds that came to us because they felt unwelcome in The Villages as snowbirds so they decided to look elsewhere. They told me they felt like second class citizens compared to year round folks.

Now, I do not feel this way...you all have been very nice.

I just like to say to the comment on New Yorkers......please do NOT paint us all the same. I am from outside of Buffalo NY. Hours and miles from downstate and NYC. I have acreage. I am in the country where there are more cows then people. I've never been in a taxi and the only subways we have sell footlong sandwiches. The highest building within miles of me other then silos is a 7 story Senior complex.

Dispite what some folks think there is a whole huge state above NYC called New York. We have mountains, finger lakes, and cows. We don't have brooklyn accents and are not rude.

Frank

Cynbod 03-21-2011 06:35 PM

Dispite what some folks think there is a whole huge state above NYC called New York. We have mountains, finger lakes, and cows. We don't have brooklyn accents and are not rude.

Frank[/QUOTE]

That doesn't sound very friendly. Brooklyn people are the tops.

K9-Lovers 03-21-2011 07:04 PM

Anyone who has the brains and means to visit or live in The Villages is my kind of people. :thumbup:

Even the nicest of people can sometimes appear rude to others, without even knowing it or meaning to be rude! :shrug:

C'mon now, remember that other thread asking why we become more intolerant when we become older? Let's not give that idea any credence.:spoken:

Pturner 03-21-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9-Lovers (Post 339826)
Anyone who has the brains and means to visit or live in The Villages is my kind of people. :thumbup:

Even the nicest of people can sometimes appear rude to others, without even knowing it or meaning to be rude! :shrug:

C'mon now, remember that other thread asking why we become more intolerant when we become older? Let's not give that idea any credence.:spoken:

:BigApplause:

Behavior can be contagious. Spread cheer!