Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Under Cart Neon Lights (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/under-cart-neon-lights-37147/)

George Bieniaszek 03-22-2011 09:38 PM

Under Cart Neon Lights

I have an EZGO electric golf cart. Wondering if anyone installed some colored lights under their cart?? Any recommendations on who you used? Thanks

Hancle704 03-22-2011 11:17 PM

Before you spend any money, suggest you contact Sheriff's Office first. I recall some mention awhile back that those lights under a car or golf cart is not legal. Maybe it's in the Florida Motor Vehicle Statutes.

427dave 03-28-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hancle704 (Post 340170)
Before you spend any money, suggest you contact Sheriff's Office first. I recall some mention awhile back that those lights under a car or golf cart is not legal. Maybe it's in the Florida Motor Vehicle Statutes.

I know you can NOT have red or blue and be on a public road.

427dave 03-28-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 427dave (Post 341470)
I know you can NOT have red or blue and be on a public road.

State statute on red and blue lights. Sumter County has issued tickets to people with red or blue neon/led's under their golf cart.

316.2397 Certain lights prohibited; exceptions.—
(1) No person shall drive or move or cause to be moved any vehicle or equipment upon any highway within this state with any lamp or device thereon showing or displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front thereof except for certain vehicles hereinafter provided.
(2) It is expressly prohibited for any vehicle or equipment, except police vehicles, to show or display blue lights. However, vehicles owned, operated, or leased by the Department of Corrections or any county correctional agency may show or display blue lights when responding to emergencies.

memason 03-28-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 427dave (Post 341612)
... Sumter County has issued tickets to people with red or blue neon/led's under their golf cart.

Dave....where were these tickets issued? ...in the squares or on the streets of TV? Is it only red and blue lights that are a problem? I have seen several carts with LED lighting, which I think looks pretty sharp.

Thanks.....

mac9 03-28-2011 03:24 PM

I had them installed on my EZGO at the store in Palm Ridge Plaza. Talk to Stacy. They work really well with a remote control. I did have them strobing on Canal Street in to LSL and was stopped by a sheriff's car. He explained that the lights are legal but you cannot use red (for fire) or blue (for police) while on public streets, but can use any color when parked at the square.

427dave 03-29-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac9 (Post 341617)
I had them installed on my EZGO at the store in Palm Ridge Plaza. Talk to Stacy. They work really well with a remote control. I did have them strobing on Canal Street in to LSL and was stopped by a sheriff's car. He explained that the lights are legal but you cannot use red (for fire) or blue (for police) while on public streets, but can use any color when parked at the square.

Actually the only ticket I am sure of was on a public street with the white line for a cart path. On the cart paths they have no jurisdiction.

The above comment from mac is correct.

Niels 03-29-2011 09:12 PM

I have LED lighting underneath my golf cart. The Villages Golf Cart Store installed the lights for me when I purchased the golf cart. The only color option they offer is green. Mine do not strobe nor do they display any color other than green. I have a simple on/off toggle switch on my dashboard which is separate from my normal golf cart lights.