Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Shingles Vaccination (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/shingles-vaccination-37161/)

2BNTV 03-23-2011 09:57 AM

Shingles Vaccination

I just wanted to share or inform anyone that is not aware of a shingles vaccination.

My doctor gave me a shot when I turned 65 and I believe he said this is a needed vaccination in addition to the pnuemonia vaccination.

My uncle who will be 98 shortly has developed this condition and it is extremely painful. He can't use his left arm or hand. His daughter has to dress him.

My uncle is a WW2 veteran and is the type of person who can tolerate a lot of pain. When my cousin tells me he is complaining, I know he is in a lot of pain.

Hope this helps someone.

mfp509 03-23-2011 10:20 AM

I will be getting a shingles vaccination soon. My father had shingles and I remember the pain he experienced. My brother-in-law is finally recovering from a case but still in much pain as the pain can continue for months. He was very sorry he didn't get the vaccine. He is going to get it as soon as the Dr clears him to get it. Now I think it is a good idea.

graciegirl 03-23-2011 10:24 AM

We all three need to be vaccinated against shingles. It is really a pricey immunization.

Skip2MySue 03-23-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfp509 (Post 340244)
I will be getting a shingles vaccination soon. My father had shingles and I remember the pain he experienced. My brother-in-law is finally recovering from a case but still in much pain as the pain can continue for months. He was very sorry he didn't get the vaccine. He is going to get it as soon as the Dr clears him to get it. Now I think it is a good idea.

I came down with the shingles last June and still have the discomfort across my stomach and 1/2 of my back. It's not as intense as it was in during the 1st few months but it's still there. I would highly recommend the vaccination. I can't get it until I am completely symptom free and who knows when that will be.
Skip 2

DaleMN 03-23-2011 10:42 AM

In Minnesota the vaccine is $222. Fortunately, my inurance pays for it. There is also about a two month wait due to shortage of the vaccine.

Bill-n-Brillo 03-23-2011 11:49 AM

Been there, had that a number of years ago. Having shingles is NOT any fun! Haven't had the vaccination - am not quite to the recommended age yet.

Just hoping it doesn't recur!!

Bill

2BNTV 03-23-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 340280)
Been there, had that a number of years ago. Having shingles is NOT any fun! Haven't had the vaccination - am not quite to the recommended age yet.

Just hoping it doesn't recur!!

Bill

Bill:

I believe you have to be 65 or older. I would also get the pnuemonia shot also.The doctor told me that it won't stop you from getting pnuemonia but it will keep you from dying because of it. A lovely way to explain a thought.

Best regards for your future health.

2BNTV 03-23-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleMN (Post 340259)
In Minnesota the vaccine is $222. Fortunately, my inurance pays for it. There is also about a two month wait due to shortage of the vaccine.

DaleMN:

I remember one year when my doctor didn't have the flu vaccine, he recommended I go to a Health Clinic to get the shot. This was before pharmarcies started giving flu vaccinations.

I mentioned this to my cousin as she said singles could be contagious if one came in direct contact with it. I don't know if that is true as I am not a doctor.

I hope this is an option for you.

mfp509 03-23-2011 02:46 PM

Here's what I know about shingles being contagious. Shingles itself is not contagious. However, if a person never had chicken pox or the vaccine for chicken pox, if they have direct contact (skin to skin) they will get chicken pox, not shingles. If a person has had chicken pox or the vaccine, they will not get anything. I researched it on the internet for my sister when her husband was so bad.

diskman 03-23-2011 02:56 PM

I have not done research

but, I have children who had chicken pox and have had shingles at 40:(

mfp509 03-23-2011 03:53 PM

We are talking about if shingles itself is contagious from another person. Any person who has had chicken pox can develop shingles - it comes from within our own body. From what I have read, the chicken pox virus lies dormant in the body once you have had chicken pox and will come out in the form of shingles in adults and could be the result of being rundown, low resistance, extreme stress etc. For example, my brother -in-law had chicken pox as a child and developed shingles in his adult life. Now if my sister had direct skin contact with his rash, she could have developed chicken pox (not shingles) if she didn't already have chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine. She was in no danger of getting chicken pox because she had already had it. And shingles itself is not contagious. I know it sounds confusing, but chicken pox is what it transmitted to another person from direct contact with the shingles rash. My sister did verify this with their doctor after I told her what I had found out.

graciegirl 03-23-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 340313)
Bill:

I believe you have to be 65 or older. I would also get the pneumonia shot also.The doctor told me that it won't stop you from getting pneumonia but it will keep you from dying because of it. A lovely way to explain a thought.

It will keep you from getting one form of pneumonia. There is bacterial and several forms of viral pneumonia.

bestmickey 03-23-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 340313)
Bill:

I believe you have to be 65 or older. I would also get the pnuemonia shot also.The doctor told me that it won't stop you from getting pnuemonia but it will keep you from dying because of it. A lovely way to explain a thought.

Per CDC guidelines, you can get the shingles vaccination at age 60. As soon as I hit 60 (later this year), I will get it. Luckily, my health insurance covers in full.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/...tm#get-vaccine

Medicare Part D covers (most of) the costs for the vaccination. Info at above link. You can also find links for info on all recommended adult immunizations.

JenAjd 03-23-2011 04:45 PM

shots...

I've had the pneumonia shot...was told it's a 1X event...and as others said will keep you from one kind.

As for the shingles shot...wanted to get it a couple of years ago but was told it was very expensive. Then we came down here and was told the same thing. Some insurances may pay for it but mine apparently does not. I'd hate to get the illness as the people I know who've had it say it's nasty. You'd think that insurance companies and BIG drug companies would want to get together and let people have this shot.

bestmickey 03-23-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenAjd (Post 340374)
I've had the pneumonia shot...was told it's a 1X event...and as others said will keep you from one kind.

As for the shingles shot...wanted to get it a couple of years ago but was told it was very expensive. Then we came down here and was told the same thing. Some insurances may pay for it but mine apparently does not. I'd hate to get the illness as the people I know who've had it say it's nasty. You'd think that insurance companies and BIG drug companies would want to get together and let people have this shot.

I hear what you're saying about the expense. But another way to look at it is, how much will it cost you if you get shingles? How much in doctor's visits and medication? It may be a choice of pay now or pay later. And, who needs or wants the pain and suffering? It may be wiser to save up the money for the vaccination than chance getting the virus.