Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Shipping Golf Clubs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/shipping-golf-clubs-37165/)

tracy1j 03-23-2011 11:30 AM

Shipping Golf Clubs

Hi! We go between our house in MN and our house in The Villages. Two more years and we can be full-time Villagers - can't wait! Soon, we will be flying home to MN and will spend the summer there. We are trying to figure out the best way to get our golf clubs back to MN for that golfing season. We can, of course, take them on the plane with us, but I was wondering if any of you have experience with shipping your golf clubs via the U.S. mail, Fed Ex, or some other option? Any tips for us? Thanks!

l2ridehd 03-23-2011 11:36 AM

Between the cost of shipping and the inconvenience of taking on the plane, I went on e-bay and bought a second set of the exact same clubs. Now the set is 3 years old so a duplicate set was fairly reasonable, but having like sets in both places was a great solution. So now even when I travel down for just a weekend, I have my Cobra set of clubs there. The only club different right now is the putter.

tracy1j 03-23-2011 01:50 PM

Thanks, that probably does make sense to buy another set of used clubs, although I'd still like to figure out a way to ship the clubs I am used to for a reasonable price. I'll look on Craigslist and see what I can find.

Mikeod 03-23-2011 01:58 PM

Try golfbagshipping.com. I used them a few years ago when I traveled from CA to FL to visit my son and do a lifestyle visit here. They pick up the clubs at your residence and deliver them to your destination. The clubs are put into a large bag and sealed. You unseal them upon delivery. If I remember correctly, the charge was reasonable and the service was excellent. They were picked up on time and delivered when promised.

scroll 03-23-2011 02:07 PM

great success

I ship mine all the time with UPS. Has been great and never any problems. I get the additional insurance and pack them in a box just like the new ones are sent to the pro shop. I have a golf bag, balls, towels, etc in both places. Cost about 40 bucks for two sets in one box. Last time in Minnesota golfed at Interlachen and the time before at Hazetline. The courses in MN are great with bent grass fairways. I wish all the golfers in TV could experience bent grass fairways once in their lives.

golf2140 03-23-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracy1j (Post 340270)
Hi! We go between our house in MN and our house in The Villages. Two more years and we can be full-time Villagers - can't wait! Soon, we will be flying home to MN and will spend the summer there. We are trying to figure out the best way to get our golf clubs back to MN for that golfing season. We can, of course, take them on the plane with us, but I was wondering if any of you have experience with shipping your golf clubs via the U.S. mail, Fed Ex, or some other option? Any tips for us? Thanks!

Hi, we keep a set in TV and a set in New Jersey for when we visit. It really saves a hassle.

buckscounty 03-23-2011 03:30 PM

Yes and US mail is the most reasonable.

Russ_Boston 03-23-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 340273)
Between the cost of shipping and the inconvenience of taking on the plane, I went on e-bay and bought a second set of the exact same clubs. Now the set is 3 years old so a duplicate set was fairly reasonable, but having like sets in both places was a great solution. So now even when I travel down for just a weekend, I have my Cobra set of clubs there. The only club different right now is the putter.

Ditto.

The good thing about doing it this way, beside the ease of travel, is that you now will have two sets in TV eventually. You know some visitor will need (appreciate) having not to bring their clubs when they visit.

tracy1j 03-23-2011 03:58 PM

Thanks for all of your input, I really appreciate it. I'll talk it over with my husband before we decide on what we will do.

Scroll - While MN golf courses are beautiful in the summer, our golf courses are currently covered by 10" of freshly fallen snow/ice!

batman911 03-24-2011 11:14 AM

We have found that we can fit two sets of clubs in one travel bag to save on the airline baggage charge for two bags.