Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   in home ant control (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/home-ant-control-37246/)

chachacha 03-26-2011 11:01 AM

in home ant control

in two and a half years i have not needed an exterminating service and would like to keep that item out of my budget...but recently have seen a few ants around and would like to buy a product which i could apply myself which is effective...any suggestions?

jblum315 03-26-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachacha (Post 341064)
in two and a half years i have not needed an exterminating service and would like to keep that item out of my budget...but recently have seen a few ants around and would like to buy a product which i could apply myself which is effective...any suggestions?

I found several products at Ace Hardware and bought one specifically for ants. Unfortunately I've forgotten what it was called, but the people at Ace will help you.

l2ridehd 03-26-2011 12:54 PM

I use Ortho Home Defense which is available at Home Depot or Lowes. Buy a sprayer as well. Both are less then $30 and use them to spray around the entire perimeter of your home about once every 3 months. It will solve all bug problems. The product comes with a built in sprayer, but the larger once work a lot better and if your doing it four times a year saves time and energy.

gary42651 03-26-2011 01:07 PM

I agree with I2ridehd, I do the same thing, using the same product, and never have a problem, I bought it at Home Depot

scroll 03-26-2011 02:23 PM

I agree Home Defense works great. A must is a larger sprayer. This is for the outdoors. Indoors if needed use any of the products or oils specific for this purpose. But do the outdoors too.

chachacha 03-26-2011 03:32 PM

thanks all...

only fear i have of doing outside perimeter is interfering with dean's termite product? i think the interior perimeter should be sufficient but do you all agree i should do the outside also? i will also ask at home depot or ace or wherever i end up purchasing the product....thanks for the advice...

l2ridehd 03-26-2011 04:28 PM

The termite product is down much deeper. This should be sprayed on the surface and along the foundation. They will not interfere with each other in any way. I also use the home defense inside under the sinks by the drain, vent and water pipes. Just use a very limited amount and hit each bath sink and kitchen sink every 6 months.

JohnN 03-27-2011 01:58 PM

I use Ortho home defense for the windows and doors and a bit on the inside floors, every couple of months. Then,

I use Ortho Terminte and Ant Spray, concentrate with a sprayer,
around the perimter foundation a couple times a year.

It doesn't interfere with anything and it's simple enough, doesn't take much time.

eweissenbach 03-27-2011 05:06 PM

Once they are in the home Terro is the best product I have found

golfnut 03-27-2011 08:22 PM

yes, terro is the best for when they are in the house, i would guess ACE carries it....gn

chachacha 03-27-2011 11:54 PM

duly noted

thank you for all the great advice...i knew i could count on your help@