Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Allstate Golf Cart Insurance - rate increase (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/allstate-golf-cart-insurance-rate-increase-37288/)

villages07 03-28-2011 08:36 AM

Allstate Golf Cart Insurance - rate increase

Mr 07 insures his golf cart through Allstate. His premiums in prior years were about $65-$70. He just got his renewal and it is up to $118. This is for a 2002 Club Car....nothing fancy.

So, anyone else recently sign up with Allstate (or another provider) and find the rates are over $100?

Anybody else get a recent renewal with significantly increased rates?

My cart, an 03 Club Car, is insured with Foremost through Villages Insurance at about $75/year, not due for renewal until August.

Just curious whether it's just an Allstate thing or all rates are increasing significantly.

nitakk 03-28-2011 08:49 AM

I just got my renewal with Allstate for an 08 Par Car and it's $60.78. Perhaps you have lower deductibles - mine is $1000 for collision and $250 for comp. Also I get lower rates because they have our auto and homeowners as well.

golf2140 03-28-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villages07 (Post 341456)
Mr 07 insures his golf cart through Allstate. His premiums in prior years were about $65-$70. He just got his renewal and it is up to $118. This is for a 2002 Club Car....nothing fancy.

So, anyone else recently sign up with Allstate (or another provider) and find the rates are over $100?

Anybody else get a recent renewal with significantly increased rates?

My cart, an 03 Club Car, is insured with Foremost through Villages Insurance at about $75/year, not due for renewal until August.

Just curious whether it's just an Allstate thing or all rates are increasing significantly.

Check to make sure they didn't add medical coverage. They did that to me. I called, price went back to normal. :read:

CTgolfer 03-28-2011 09:48 AM

Just renewed in Feb, 2011 with Allstate

Liability: Bodily Injury: $14.41
Liability: Property Damage: $13.30
Collision: $23.18
Comprehensive: $9.11
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists: $71.79

There's pros and cons to the uninsured/underinsured portion of the policy and I have yet to fully understand it. I think we are assuming that many of our neighbors with golf carts may not have cart insurance. Here's an explanation from the web:

UNINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY (UM):
Covers you, the insured members of your household and your passengers for bodily/personal injuries, damages, or death caused by an at-fault uninsured or hit-and-run driver. If you are involved in an accident where the other driver is at fault but has no insurance, your policy will cover your medical expenses, up to the limit on your policy.

Ohiogirl 03-28-2011 09:55 AM

UM/UIM could also cover the driver and occupants of the covered golf cart if struck by an uninsured or underinsured auto.

villages07 03-28-2011 11:29 AM

Thanks for your replies. He checked old vs new and just about every category doubled in premiums. He has $100 deductible.

He just called Allstate and the receptionist gave him no explanation ...."It's only $5 or $10 or whatever" for each category...which all add up. She said they had a rate increase but seemed to not comprehend the impact of a "100% increase".

Guess he's going to call Villages Insurance to get a quote.

CTgolfer 03-28-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villages07 (Post 341539)
Thanks for your replies. He checked old vs new and just about every category doubled in premiums. He has $100 deductible.

He just called Allstate and the receptionist gave him no explanation ...."It's only $5 or $10 or whatever" for each category...which all add up. She said they had a rate increase but seemed to not comprehend the impact of a "100% increase".

Guess he's going to call Villages Insurance to get a quote.

Villages07, please keep us posted. I would be curious when comparing apples to apples what the difference in cost is.

Niels 03-28-2011 12:09 PM

CTgolfer - I find it interesting that you have uninsured/underinsured coverage on your golf cart through Allstate. When I was shopping for coverage for my golf cart last October I called a local Allstate agent who told me that Allstate no longer offers this coverage on golf carts. Maybe they grandfathered in people who already had this coverage.

One of the main reasons I decided go with Foremost instead of Allstate was that I wanted this coverage.

I thought it was somewhat ironic that Allstate the company that (according to their commercials) protects people against all kinds of mayhem doesn't offer uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on golf carts.

GatorFan 03-28-2011 05:22 PM

Allstate does offer uninsured motorist coverage on golf carts.

golf2140 03-28-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niels (Post 341551)
CTgolfer - I find it interesting that you have uninsured/underinsured coverage on your golf cart through Allstate. When I was shopping for coverage for my golf cart last October I called a local Allstate agent who told me that Allstate no longer offers this coverage on golf carts. Maybe they grandfathered in people who already had this coverage.

One of the main reasons I decided go with Foremost instead of Allstate was that I wanted this coverage.

I thought it was somewhat ironic that Allstate the company that (according to their commercials) protects people against all kinds of mayhem doesn't offer uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on golf carts.

I just went on-line and checked my policy. They do offer that coverage. I didn't sign up for it with my golf cart insurance because my auto is also insured by them and I choose not to stack my coverage. That said I'm insured up to the limits of my auto policy not twice- three times the amount of coverage in my cart. ( I hope that made sense, I'm not an insurance guy.)

spk7951 03-29-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf2140 (Post 341719)
I just went on-line and checked my policy. They do offer that coverage. I didn't sign up for it with my golf cart insurance because my auto is also insured by them and I choose not to stack my coverage. That said I'm insured up to the limits of my auto policy not twice- three times the amount of coverage in my cart. ( I hope that made sense, I'm not an insurance guy.)

But would the auto policy pay anything out toward a golf cart accident? When we changed to Allstate a couple of years ago I asked about that and was told no the auto would not "help" the golf cart insurance in any way, so we left the golf cart policy with a different provider.

golf2140 03-29-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spk7951 (Post 341818)
But would the auto policy pay anything out toward a golf cart accident? When we changed to Allstate a couple of years ago I asked about that and was told no the auto would not "help" the golf cart insurance in any way, so we left the golf cart policy with a different provider.

I'll be checking with my agent. They had made the suggestion to me not to stack the policies. :read:

Niels 03-29-2011 11:08 AM

Golf2140 - While I understand what your agent is saying concerning the fact that there is no need to stack your policy (which would double your amount of coverage), I have to agree with spk7951. Your auto policy is separate from your golf cart policy. I believe you would still need to select uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your golf cart to be covered while driving your golf cart.

Tom Hannon 03-29-2011 11:26 AM

I just got a price yesterday from The Village Insurance. The estimate was $117. Soups to nuts and the price was based on a $9500 new golf cart.

memason 03-29-2011 12:48 PM

I have 2 carts with Allstate.... total for the year is $300 and change. Carts are 2010 and 2011 and in the $9,000 range.

I've had Allstate for probably 30 years (Cars, Home and now carts). I don't mind paying a little more, since I know I will not have any issues when it comes time for a claim. That's the real test of any insurance company....any of them will take your premiums. My experiences with Allstate have been really good, plus my agent is here in TV. I've only been to the office a couple times, but when I walk in, he calls me [and my wife] by name.