Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Travel w/cats from S. Jersey to TV--Need motel (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/travel-w-cats-s-jersey-tv-need-motel-37304/)

joannej 03-28-2011 12:19 PM

Travel w/cats from S. Jersey to TV--Need motel

My sister needs a reasonable place to stay at while driving from S. Jersey to TV. Where can she stop at (motel like Comfort Inn) half way to TV that will accept animals? What do they charge for the animals and where do you stop?

redwitch 03-28-2011 12:44 PM

Best Western, Red Roof Inns, Quality Inn, LaQuinta to name a few that accept pets, usually for little or no charge and, of course, Motel 6. She can also check http://www.petswelcome.com/ for other places.

graciegirl 03-28-2011 12:49 PM

We will be leaving soon to go North. Out two cats, Mikey, Harry and Hershey are about to have their halters put on, and in the last two days they will walk around the house and lanai dragging leashes.

I know they are glaring at me.

I hate to leave too.

joannej 03-31-2011 10:50 AM

Thanks Dee for the info. I'll pass the website on to my sister. Gracie you always make me laugh!

skyguy79 03-31-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 341569)
We will be leaving soon to go North. Out two cats, Mikey, Harry and Hershey are about to have their halters put on, and in the last two days they will walk around the house and lanai dragging leashes.

I hate to leave too.

Poor Mikey, Harry and Hershey. Whatever did they do to deserve the incarceration thats about to befall them. Oh well, at least I'm sure that with your benevelency, that you'll give them time off for good behavior once you reach Ohio! :1rotfl:

chuckinca 03-31-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

I hate to leave too.

When we start packing our 15# male 2 YO Tuxedo cat is among the missing. At the last minute before we leave, I have to look everywhere to find him and then chase him around the house until he gets cornered and I can grab him to put him in a cat carrier and later release him in the PU camper shell. When we get to where we are going he won't come out and I have to climb into the camper shell and pull him out.

diskman 03-31-2011 11:54 AM

with pets Red Roof Inn is the place we go:BigApplause:

Jeff Bieberfeld 04-03-2011 07:31 PM

pets hotel

i stayed at the hampton inn in fayetteville, nc on the way down from penna. our cat, zao, was very well behaved and no one knew whe was there in thehotel with me.

rirlam 04-03-2011 08:03 PM

Pet friendly motel

We have always stayed at a La Quinta with our cats. We normally get reservations via the internet ahead of time. So far, everything has worked fine during three trips between The Villages and up North.

Barefoot 04-03-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskman (Post 342592)
with pets Red Roof Inn is the place we go:BigApplause:

Another Red Roof fan.

graciegirl 04-04-2011 07:34 AM

We can and do...make the trip in one day...about 15 hours.

Our dear neighbor just returned to Chicago and reported that Sukie got under the bed in a motel...the bottom was framed in and somehow Sukie found a place near the headboard and slithered in. THEN wouldn't come out. They had to take the mattress and boxsprings off and finally got to her.

Our cats KNOW when we start the preparations. There is a decided interest when I start really cleaning and washing the interior of the refrigerator about a week before we go, then some more nervousness when I pack some boxes and stuff from the pantry. Total hiding occurs when the lanai furniture comes indoors. That is the reason for the halters, snugly fit and the leashes, so we know where they are and can pull them out if need be.

cherylncliff 04-04-2011 07:43 PM

Hotels for Pets

We stayed at LaQuinta Inns on our last trip to and from TOTV. There is no extra fee for pets, they offer a free breakfast and the rooms were clean and comfortable. We looked at other chains but the ones that accepted pets often had a rather steep fee.

We have four cats and they all traveled well in our Van. We leave them out to roam the van and after an hour or so they all settle down and nap- no tranquilizers required for them or us. They all get caged whenever we stop or need to open a door.

Good luck with your travels.

Auntmimi 04-04-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joannej (Post 341555)
My sister needs a reasonable place to stay at while driving from S. Jersey to TV. Where can she stop at (motel like Comfort Inn) half way to TV that will accept animals? What do they charge for the animals and where do you stop?

Google it. We have travelled and kept a cat in the room in a few hotels, but
don't remember the names. I was surprised to find that it wasn't a problem.
Good luck.

KatzPajamas 04-16-2011 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=graciegirl;341569]We will be leaving soon to go North. Out two cats, Mikey, Harry and Hershey are about to have their halters put on, and in the last two days they will walk around the house and lanai dragging leashes.

We are coming in September to look for a home. won't be able to move for another year tho. We also have 3 cats (they have two humans is far more accurate). Will drive from Ohio to TV when the move happens but haven't yet come up with a plan to transport the "girls" comfortably...Any suggestions?

Schaumburger 04-16-2011 12:32 PM

[quote=KatzPajamas;347152]
Quote:

We are coming in September to look for a home. won't be able to move for another year tho. We also have 3 cats (they have two humans is far more accurate). Will drive from Ohio to TV when the move happens but haven't yet come up with a plan to transport the "girls" comfortably...Any suggestions?

KatzPajamas,
:welcome: to TOTV. Love your name. I am also owned by my cat. Good luck in your house search.