Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Diet Vernors (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/diet-vernors-37365/)

Number 6 03-30-2011 11:34 AM

Diet Vernors

Great news for you folks from Michagan (or WNY). I want to let you know that Diet Vernors in the 12 oz. cans is available again in Florida! You can get it at Publix!

Bonny 03-30-2011 12:01 PM

YUM !!! Nothing like a good old fashioned Vernor's Float !!!! :thumbup:

K9-Lovers 03-30-2011 12:52 PM

I'm still pining for some Buffalo Rock ginger-ale. They have it in the panhandle part of Florida, but not down our way. The first time I tasted Buffalo Rock ginger ale was in Alabama and my mouth couldn't believe itself!

chuckinca 03-30-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny (Post 342143)
YUM !!! Nothing like a good old fashioned Vernor's Float !!!! :thumbup:

I like floats with root beer - Dads, Hires, A&W all work well.

(don't think I ever had a ginger ale float)

Bonny 03-30-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca (Post 342191)
I like floats with root beer - Dads, Hires, A&W all work well.

(don't think I ever had a ginger ale float)

I'm not biased. I'll drink that too. LOL

Number 6 03-30-2011 02:31 PM

From Winklopedia-

Quote:

Boston Cooler
A Boston Cooler is an Ice cream soda typically composed of Vernors and vanilla ice cream, although in other parts of the country, different combinations of ingredients are also known as a Boston Cooler. The name remains a mystery. [14][15] It appears to have no connection to Boston, Massachusetts, where the drink is unknown. One popular theory is that it named after Detroit's Boston Boulevard, the main thoroughfare of the Boston-Edison Historic District, said to be, in such accounts, a fashionable neighborhood at the time located a short distance from James Vernor's drugstore.[16][17] Boston Boulevard, however, did not exist at the time. The streets and subdivision that became the Boston-Edison neighborhood, approximately five miles from Vernors' drugstore, were not platted nor incorporated into the city until 1891, and its first homes not constructed until 1905, nine years after Vernor closed his drugstore. [18]

chuckinca 03-30-2011 02:45 PM

Also from Wikipedia:

HTML Code:

Also known as a "black cow"[8] or "brown cow",[9][10] the root beer float is traditionally made with vanilla ice cream and root beer, but can also be made with other flavors.  The origin of the name "black cow" has always been of interest to food and beverage experts and allegedly dates to August 1893[11] in Cripple Creek, Colorado. The only source of this story is the great-grand-nephew of Frank J. Wisner, who has popularized it through advertising on his soft drink products and website.[12][unreliable source?] Wisner, owner of the Cripple Creek Cow Mountain Gold Mining Company, had been producing a line of soda waters for the citizens of the then-booming Cripple Creek gold mining district. He had been trying to create a special drink for the children of Cripple Creek and came up with an idea while staring out at his properties on Cow Mountain on a moonlit night. The full moon's glow on the snow capped Cow Mountain reminded him of a dollop of vanilla ice cream floating on top of his blackened Cow Mountain. As he told the story later, he was inspired by this view to hurry back to his bar and add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream to the one soda water he produced that the children of Cripple Creek seemed to like best - Myers Avenue Red root beer - and served it the very next day. The drink was an instant hit. Originally named "Black Cow Mountain", the local children shortened this to "black cow".[

Mikitv 03-30-2011 03:46 PM

Yes grew up in Detroit Suburbs and my mom made Boston Coolers with Vernorns every summer. Love our Vernors.

jeffy 03-30-2011 05:31 PM

I fondly remember Vernors from my grandmothers house in northern indiana as a child. Memories were brought back when I was watching an episode of " Parks and Recreation " on the TV and saw a pack of Vernors in the background. The show takes place in indiana.

jeff

keithwand 04-04-2011 01:11 PM

have to check our Publix for it.
great memories from MI.