Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Another Tornado Watch in Sumter County until 1:00 P.M. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/another-tornado-watch-sumter-county-until-1-00-p-m-37387/)

graciegirl 03-31-2011 06:43 AM

Another Tornado Watch in Sumter County until 1:00 P.M.

The thunder and lightning has calmed down now but I personally cannot remember in my lifetime such an uninterrupted and LONG period of time of so much lightning and thunder. It seems like it lasted for well over an hour and there wasn't a half second that it wasn't flashing and booming!!. :boom:

I am guessing not many could sleep through THAT.

The calls came in for the watch. Don't have to really worry until a warning.:thumbup:

chuckinca 03-31-2011 07:05 AM

My wife got up at 5:30 and at 6:00 she came into the bedroom and asked me how I could sleep with all the lightning and thunder so I had to get up to hold her hand. She is CA born and raised and there isn't much lightning and thunder in CA so she is scared to death of it. By 7:15 she fell asleep on the recliner and I am still up.

ajbrown 03-31-2011 07:05 AM

Yes, it has been quite a show with continuous flashing, rumbling and grumbling.

I am a T-storm wussy and this morning has been OK for me so far. We only had one strike that was lightning/thunder with no perceptible delay between. Those are the strikes that make me take notice.

Great news for the golf courses.

Army Guy 03-31-2011 07:09 AM

You all got the storms we had Tuesday here in Alabama. Our tornado sirens went off in the afternoon and then from midnight till about four with numerous tornados. My wife and I even saw one up in the air pass by our home here in the afternoon storms. Just another spring in the South. That is one thing we will not miss when we becoem fulltimers in TV this summer!
Army Guy

JenAjd 03-31-2011 08:39 AM

T'isn't called "The Lightening Capital of The World" for nothing!!! Hoping you all will heed the warnings. Guy on radio keeps saying "stay out of your golf-carts in this!" Don't even carry umbrella's particularily if they have metal as you'll be a lightening rod (maybe for sure)!!! YIKES...we didn't have warnings like this "up north"!!! Only wish we could have basements or at least storm cellars here!!!

ajbrown 03-31-2011 09:27 AM

You know how to tell the weather is just plain nasty in TV?

Your front lamp post light which comes on automatically at night is on at 10:15 in the morning.....

Bill-n-Brillo 03-31-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 342516)
You know how to tell the weather is just plain nasty in TV?

Your front lamp post light which comes on automatically at night is on at 10:15 in the morning.....

..........or the post it's on has been folded over by a storm! :shocked:

Bill :)

Niels 03-31-2011 09:47 AM

I was awaken a little before 6am today by my weather radio discussing the tornado watch. I told my wife last night that we would be awaken today by the weather radio but I was hoping that it would happen a little later than it did.

Pturner 03-31-2011 10:04 AM

Like Army Guy, we are accustomed to lightening and thunderstorms. For all their furry, most often they come and go without doing damage. (If a tornado touches down, that's a different story. Very large hail storms, ditto.)

But if it's just a normal ole thunderstorm... well, um, I have a confession to make.

I love to lie in bed and listen to the downpour and thunderclaps. I guess it's just an integral sound of spring in the south.

graciegirl 03-31-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 342526)
Like Army Guy, we are accustomed to lightening and thunderstorms. For all their furry, most often they come and go without doing damage. (If a tornado touches down, that's a different story. Very large hail storms, ditto.)

But if it's just a normal ole thunderstorm... well, um, I have a confession to make.

I love to lie in bed and listen to the downpour and thunderclaps. I guess it's just an integral sound of spring in the south.

I do too P. I like a little rain drama. BUT we are getting more water here ...continuously.... than I have ever seen.

Looking up Ark building on Wikipedia.............

Bill-n-Brillo 03-31-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 342531)
.......Looking up Ark building on Wikipedia.............

"Noah!!.............." :thumbup:

Bill

pklein9747 03-31-2011 10:35 AM

Having just moved here from NJ, is this type of weather unusual?? I thought central FL got lots of thunderstorms? Since we're from the Northeast, we're just thankful it's not snow!!!

chuckinca 03-31-2011 10:41 AM

News/Weather TV channel said that there was over 3" of rain in TV and that was about two hours ago. Must be close to 4 or 5 by now.

graciegirl 03-31-2011 10:42 AM

The Villages, according to WESH 2 NEWS, got the MOST rain in the last 24 hours. A whopping 4.86".

Wow.

Sometimes I think those people at the TV station have never been here.

ajbrown 03-31-2011 11:08 AM

Looking for weather data

Any web experts know of a site to look up old precipitation totals? I could not find anything at wunderground.com which is a good site for other historical data.

I wanted to look back to May of 2009. We had close to a week of rain, some parts of central FL getting over 22 inches. Some of the executive courses looked like they had island greens. Golf course sprinklers were running non stop pumping water out of ponds.... quite a site.....