Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Unexpected Surprise!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/unexpected-surprise-37470/)

HawkeyeBarb 04-02-2011 08:16 AM

Unexpected Surprise!!

As I have shared before...Boilermaker Dave and I will be Villagers in a couple of years. I really enjoy asking questions of you folks who are already living in The Villages. So much insight and info...and always interesting!
I was wondering this morning...when you moved to The Villages, I would imagine that most of you knew pretty much what to expect. You might have visited in a Lifestyle Preview, stayed with friends or rented on your own for a few days or weeks. However...once you became full fledged Villagers or Snowbirds was there anything or things that came as a surprise (pro or con)...that you truly weren't expecting? These surprises could be anything from the true cost of living for you, something about the infrastructure, the people, etc.
Thanks for sharing! Remember...there are so many of us wannabees and gonnabees! Your comments help get us thru the days till we are there with you! Happy Saturday! Oh yeah...everyday is Saturday for you all! :coolsmiley:

jgbama 04-02-2011 08:35 AM

Gonnabee Also

I'm looking forward to the replies as well. Those thoughts have been on my mind also. I did read on another thread (forgot which one) a post about average monthly costs. It was helpful and I'll PM you the link once I find it.

Ohiogirl 04-02-2011 08:43 AM

The wind

I was surprised how many truly windy (20-30 mph) days there are here. We moved down about Nov. 5th, have been gone on 2 trips for about 10 days each (Jan & Feb). Doesn't really keep you from doing anything, but you notice it either playing golf, racket sports or just driving around in the golf cart.

Wouldn't keep me from moving here, was just surprised.

By the way, today looks absolutely beautiful, sunny, clear and calm, high expected of 83. I'm sitting on my screened lanai watching birds at the feeder and deciding what to do the rest of the day.

redwitch 04-02-2011 08:46 AM

My biggest surprise was the people. I discovered TV when I visited a friend. Of course, the people were friendly when she introduced us. I expected that. What I didn't expect was that people were just as friendly when I moved here. There is such a generosity of spirit here that it is truly overwhelming.

The other surprise was how conservative/Republican it is. Not a big deal, just not something I was expecting.

My biggest disappointment was how low salaries are here. I'm too young to retire and do have to make a living wage. That wasn't happening when I looked, even with 30 years experience as a legal secretary, which is why I ended up starting my own business.

memason 04-02-2011 08:49 AM

Well, I thought when I left the corporate world, there would be no more calendar entries.... HOLY COW! Was I wrong!

My calendar is just as busy now, as when I was working...maybe busier! ...and, the wife has to also keep a calendar too, so we know who is doing what, when...and whether we can do anything together :1rotfl: We have to "invite" each other to play golf...

It's amazing how active you can be here, if you want.

We've only been here 4 months (full-time), but we're loving it...and the people we meet here are fantastic!

Just our experience, but I suspect you'll get similar responses from others...

Cheers...

jgbama 04-02-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohiogirl;3***34
I was surprised how many truly windy (20-30 mph) days there are here. We moved down about Nov. 5th, have been gone on 2 trips for about 10 days each (Jan & Feb). Doesn't really keep you from doing anything, but you notice it either playing golf, racket sports or just driving around in the golf cart.

Wouldn't keep me from moving here, was just surprised.

By the way, today looks absolutely beautiful, sunny, clear and calm, high expected of 83. I'm sitting on my screened lanai watching birds at the feeder and deciding what to do the rest of the day.

During our 7 visits (a week at the time) we have noticed the wind also, especially playing golf. Not a show stopper as you stated, but something you do notice. Was wondering the frequency of the winds.

I'm jealous of you sitting on your lanai deciding what to do today! Can't wait to experience that myself!!

ajbrown 04-02-2011 09:00 AM

It can be cold

This is our fourth winter of snowbirding. We love it here, none of the things we love about being here were a surprise. What surprised me was how cold it can he here in the winter. When I was up north, I would laugh at folks who said it was cold in FL when the temp was 58, but it really can be, especially with a nice 15 mph north breeze. Last winter there were many days where it was too cold to want to golf. Of course there is other stuff to do and I am not moving, but it caught me off guard how cold it could be.

This winter has been everything we could have hoped out of our FL home weather wise. Lets hope the previous winter was the anomaly.

HawkeyeBarb 04-02-2011 09:33 AM

Thanks all, for the comments!
I totally agree with the wind surprise, John and Ohiogirl! We were down last week and it was very windy that Thursday. Quite surprising!
I had a feeling, Red, that the kindness and friendliness of the people would be mentioned. That is definitely a constant when anything about The Villages is mentioned! What a wonderful surprise that is! :) I would imagine the neighborhoods to be more like the neighborhood of my youth. Friendly people, mostly all in the same boat with like-minded values and goals. I know, I know,...different people make the world go round...so there will be the occasional sour puss...but I'll be surprised if there are many of them! :icon_wink:

jebartle 04-02-2011 09:40 AM

Surprise in La Zamora

Just spent a couple of hours in yard, gathering leaves....Fall (as in falling leaves) occurs in Spring!!!!...go figure!.....Love the trees, so will continue to gather the leaves....

jgbama 04-02-2011 09:46 AM

How about Unexpected Expenses

I would be interested to hear any comments on unexpected expenses when first moving to TV. I read a post on another thread stating - "bring your checkbook", but they didn't go into detail.

We may be coming with limited funds, since we are still helping our son with his expenses and not "socking" any away as much as I'd like for the "big move"! I know a lot depends on the type home you buy, etc. We are hoping to find a furnished pre-owned, as we don't want to bring our old stuff. Several Villagers have told us they moved their furniture only to find it didn't fit in their new home at TV. :(

Bill-n-Brillo 04-02-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgbama;3***63
I would be interested to hear any comments on unexpected expenses when first moving to TV. I read a post on another thread stating - "bring your checkbook", but they didn't go into detail.

We may be coming with limited funds, since we are still helping our son with his expenses and not "socking" any away as much as I'd like for the "big move"! I know a lot depends on the type home you buy, etc. We are hoping to find a furnished pre-owned, as we don't want to bring our old stuff. Several Villagers have told us they moved their furniture only to find it didn't fit in their new home at TV. :(

John - I think if you do what I'd consider to be a reasonable amount of investigation looking into expenses related to owning a home in TV, nothing will really come as a surprise. EVERYTHING you'd need/want to know can easily be found on TOTV.

On the other hand, Sandy and I met a fellow in TV last Oct. when we were there 'kicking tires'/looking around at new builds. We all got to chatting about TV-related things and he mentioned he was on the brink of buying quickly as he was really wanting to be in TV. Had his place back home sold, etc., etc. I mentioned something about the bonds usually being higher, apples to apples, on new construction versus resales. His reaction???? "Bond? What do you mean by 'bond'?" WHEW!!! His uppers about hit the pavement!!! :1rotfl: The poor fellow knew nothing about the concept of bonds on homes......but was very glad it got mentioned!!!

Given the effort we put in up front, I feel like we knew everything that would be involved before we took the plunge and have had no surprises....and no regrets.....since.

Bill :)

Dynasty 04-02-2011 10:17 AM

My surprises;

No mosquitoes, one bite in 3 years. And very few bugs.

Lower humidity than on the coasts.

Easy access to Disney World, 50 minutes all Toll Road and no traffic.

Very expensive neighborhood pool. This is the gossip center of your village. This is where you really learn how to spend money. Guttering, landscaping, attic stairs, crown molding, new flooring, driveway widening and painting, etc. Also a place to meet people and make friends for all the activities as well as cruises and day trips.

Good attitudes about TV and the developer who made this all possible. Also a positive outlook as we all deal with our health issues.

A very frugal group, always looking for a good deal to make sure our resources last us until the end.

Good neighbors who are always willing to help out. Dog sitting, lawn mowing, electrical, handy man, landscaping, house sitting, watering, etc. Also a text book of advice from many diverse experiences.

For the most part I have been happy with the contractors we've hired with the exception of lawn care, pest control, and landscaping.

Never thought I would ever live in Florida, now I don't want to leave until I reach room temperature.

HawkeyeBarb 04-02-2011 10:21 AM

Bill...wow! I can't imagine being hit with something like the bond info right before you buy!!!! Bet he was glad he talked to you all when he did!
I am wondering, in the same line of thought as the 'surprise theme'...do Villagers eat in the restuarants more or less than anticapated before the move? Have read many threads on restuarant reviews and there are as many different opinions on the different restuarants as there are Baskin Robbins flavors! Or should I say Peachwave flavors?! I just wonder if the 'novelty' wears off. I don't think it will with me...but who knows!

Schaumburger 04-02-2011 10:52 AM

So much good info. on TOTV for wannabees

Until I started reading TOTV on a regular basis, I also knew nothing about what a "bond" was on a house as bonds do not exist on homes in Illinois as far as I know. Reading TOTV the past year has been such a good source of information for me as far as the cost of living, what to look for in a TV home, etc. Reading TOTV should be a requirement for all TV wannabees befoire they purchase in TV. :spoken:

jgbama 04-02-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo;3***65
John - I think if you do what I'd consider to be a reasonable amount of investigation looking into expenses related to owning a home in TV, nothing will really come as a surprise. EVERYTHING you'd need/want to know can easily be found on TOTV.

On the other hand, Sandy and I met a fellow in TV last Oct. when we were there 'kicking tires'/looking around at new builds. We all got to chatting about TV-related things and he mentioned he was on the brink of buying quickly as he was really wanting to be in TV. Had his place back home sold, etc., etc. I mentioned something about the bonds usually being higher, apples to apples, on new construction versus resales. His reaction???? "Bond? What do you mean by 'bond'?" WHEW!!! His uppers about hit the pavement!!! :1rotfl: The poor fellow knew nothing about the concept of bonds on homes......but was very glad it got mentioned!!!

Given the effort we put in up front, I feel like we knew everything that would be involved before we took the plunge and have had no surprises....and no regrets.....since.

Bill :)

Bill, you are so right. We've done a good bit of asking during our 7 visits, even to include going to First Mortgage a few years ago to see how much house we qualify to buy. Certainly know what a Bond is. Guess that guy was surprised. Have bought several homes, so am familiar with the usual costs there.

Was just wondering, if anything jumped out and bit you upon your arrival. We certainly expect the usual costs with moving into a new place. Just want to avoid a, "oh, by the way, you'll owe another $1,000 for this"!!

Thanks to TOTV and the wealth of knowedge you good folks provide us "gonnabees", we should all have a good idea of what to expect. And don't think for a minute we aren't grateful and appreciative! WE ARE!!!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR SHARING! :ho: