Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Golf Cart Expense (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/golf-cart-expense-37496/)

2BNTV 04-03-2011 08:57 AM

Golf Cart Expense

I was revisiting my budget expenses and started to wonder what it costs to maintain a golf cart on a monthly basis.

Does anyone have a number I can allocate for this expense?

If one has a gas cart:
1. How much gas does it hold?
2. How many miles per gallon?

I apologize if this has been covered in other posts.

Bill-n-Brillo 04-03-2011 10:25 AM

2B -

How much gas? Generally 5-6 gallons would be a good guesstimate - will vary by manufacturer and model year.

MPG? 40-50 mpg would again be a reasonable expectation.

Make sure you allocate some money for insurance - probably $75-150 per year depending on insurance company and coverage. Allow for the cost of on-going maintenance - oil changes, air filters, spark plug, annual check-up (if you choose to do so), etc. It would also make sense to set aside some money for future potential repairs/wear-and-tear items (battery, tires, etc.).

Bill :)

gary42651 04-03-2011 11:48 AM

This information was given to me by `The Villages Golf Car Store`

Average Monthly costs to operate

Electric (based on 10 Miles per day)

2.5 KWH to charge ( for new batteries) 0.29
10 KWH to charge ( for old Batteries) 1.13
Average cost per month for electric 21.30
Battery replacement (3 yrs=$816.00) 22.67
Difference in resale value 1.39
Annual Maintenance 4.17

Total monthly cost to operate an Electric Cart 49.53

Gas
Based on 10 miles per day average
40 mpg @ 4.00 Per gallon 30.00
Battery 6 years=80 0.11
Annual Maintenace 5.39

Total cost to operate a Gas Cart 35.50

Like I said this information was given to me by the Villages Golf Car Store, and they sell both gas and electric carts.
I have a speedometer on mine and I`m getting around 43 miles to the gallon
I keep a tow rope in my cart so I can tow my friends electric cart when his batteries die.

gary42651 04-03-2011 12:02 PM

I also received this information from `The villages Golf Car Store`

Electric or Gas?

Electric
Quieter than gas
Low emissions
Requires NO gas to operate
Up to 60 miles range per charge

Gas
Lighter than electric car
No hydrogen fumes from the batteries
Does not require daily charging
Up to 250 miles range on a full tank of gas
Less USER maintenance
Higher resale value

If you go with gas, I would have your exhust pipe extended, it helps with the fumes, and cost around 35.00

Ohiogirl 04-03-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary42651 (Post 343632)
This information was given to me by `The Villages Golf Car Store`

Average Monthly costs to operate

Electric (based on 10 Miles per day)

2.5 KWH to charge ( for new batteries) 0.29
10 KWH to charge ( for old Batteries) 1.13
Average cost per month for electric 21.30
Battery replacement (3 yrs=$816.00) 22.67
Difference in resale value 1.39
Annual Maintenance 4.17

Total monthly cost to operate an Electric Cart 49.53

Gas
Based on 10 miles per day average
40 mpg @ 4.00 Per gallon 30.00
Battery 6 years=80 0.11
Annual Maintenace 5.39

Total cost to operate a Gas Cart 35.50

Like I said this information was given to me by the Villages Golf Car Store, and they sell both gas and electric carts.
I have a speedometer on mine and I`m getting around 43 miles to the gallon
I keep a tow rope in my cart so I can tow my friends electric cart when his batteries die.

I think these figures (for the electric cart) presume that you have run the batteries down completely every day. You will probably find that many days (depending on where you live) you only go 5-10 miles and some days don't use them at all. Rarely do we run ours all the way down.

Electric bill here seems pretty cheap to me, considering all the appliances we run (2 fridges, washing machine, DW run almost daily, all the little lighted switches, ceiling fans, hair dryer, toaster oven used a LOT, computer, modem, etc.). We have gas heat, stove & dryer, water heater.

Last 3 electric bills avg about $67, including probably 2 days of A/C and many days of heat (using electric fan). LOTS of houseguests during this period. Keep in mind we have TWO (2) electric carts, plugged in nearly every night. The charger turns off when carts are fully charged.

gary42651 04-03-2011 04:02 PM

Of course it depends on how you use your golf cart, this chart used 10 miles a day to be able to compare apples with apples.I think they know that an electric cart will not use up its batteries in 10 mile

hdh1470 04-03-2011 05:50 PM

Gas are banned in some areas of california and maybe soon the whole state as well as other areas.they are cheaper to operate,the range on elecric have become very good .Gas is a much better cart in a area that is very hilly,sales of electric far exceed gas nationally,Gas smell, also make it hard to talk when cruising and can leak oil and gas and as a whole not as clean.So what is one to do?If not driving 40 0r more miles a day I think electric is the better choice.But if your one who will be driving to the limits of of a electric cart maybe gas is your best bet.As far as pollution gas have become better but still worse the todays autos.I have a electric but do not live in tv full time but when i do I will need another cart and what I still don't know what I will get.If your a tree hugger it must be electric and if not it depends on your needs.So I guess what i'm saying ii'm confused.So please someone please help me.

golfnut 04-03-2011 06:07 PM

one thing to keep in mind, with an electric cart you should charge the cart whenever you use it whether is was 30 miles or 3 miles. the carts have on board computers and know how much charge the batteries need.....gn

nitakk 04-03-2011 06:12 PM

I told my husband when we moved here I only wanted an electric cart - you can call me a tree hugger and I will wear the title well. I don't see the need for gas as I can go as far as I want to go in my electric, I can have a conversation when my passenger without yelling and I don't stink up the tunnels with my fumes. Yes, we buy new batteries every few years when we can't go as far as we used to, but I feel this is a small price to pay for quiet, earth-friendly driving. I live in the Marion County end of TV and can easily golf Havana 18, go to dinner at LSL, go shopping at Wal Mart on the 466 and return home with plenty of miles to spare. I don't choke the driver behind me with exhaust, drive quietly down the paths and am not restricted in any way in the distance I can go. Who can ask for more??

l2ridehd 04-04-2011 04:50 AM

It seems to be another "not in my backyard discussion". Actually electric is more expensive to operate then gas when you add the cost of the batteries to the daily pro-rated cost. And do you think those millions of old batteries don't pollute somewhere? How about the coal burned or nuclear fuel to generate the electricity to charge the batteries? Oh, but you don't see that so it's OK?

If you want to zoom around The Villages in your golf cart, and most of us do, you are causing damage to the environment someplace with both gas and electric. Just not in "your backyard". So all you folks who think your doing a great service by selecting electric need to look at the total picture, not just what you see. From an environment view one is no better then the other. As to which you prefer for other reasons, those arguments have some validity.

hedoman 04-04-2011 05:54 AM

What would be interesting to me is the number of carts "rescued" due to 1) running out of gas vs. 2) running out of electricity. Which type requires more maintenance? (I'm not familiar with water and batteries). When we were down to settle on our home we had a gas cart, drove it non stop for 6 days, got lost frequently, went joy riding for the helluvit and still didn't use 1/2 tank of gas.

My carts at the club up here are all gas. Change filters, plugs and oil once a year and they are good to go.

Challenger 04-04-2011 06:10 AM

:clap2:
Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 343817)
It seems to be another "not in my backyard discussion". Actually electric is more expensive to operate then gas when you add the cost of the batteries to the daily pro-rated cost. And do you think those millions of old batteries don't pollute somewhere? How about the coal burned or nuclear fuel to generate the electricity to charge the batteries? Oh, but you don't see that so it's OK?

If you want to zoom around The Villages in your golf cart, and most of us do, you are causing damage to the environment someplace with both gas and electric. Just not in "your backyard". So all you folks who think your doing a great service by selecting electric need to look at the total picture, not just what you see. From an environment view one is no better then the other. As to which you prefer for other reasons, those arguments have some validity.

:clap2:Ye shall know the facts and the facts shall make you free. That's if you really want the facts!

73Goat 04-21-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 343817)

While I don't endorse the hostility rummaging beneath the surface of the post, what he says is fairly accurate. The other thing you have to consider is that lead/acid batteries DO produce pollution, specifically sulfuric acid fumes, which is a carcinogen. The real 'danger' of lead acid batteries is the accumulation of sulfuric acid in an enclosed space (like your garage) during the charging process. Lead Acid batteries can vent sulfuric acid during the charging process (so they don't explode) and, as they age, they do get leaks. Sulfuric acid is technically an odorless, colorless gas so, you won't know if you're exposed.

The point is that people should not think that, because they are using lead acid batteries rather than an internal combustion engine, that they are not polluting. They are.

My wife and I have been batting the 'electric vs gas' thing around for over a year now and, while the idea of electric is attractive, I don't think I would go that route until I can get a cart powered by some form of battery other than lead acid (perhaps the lithium ion that are being used in cars like the Volt and Leaf). But, those batteries are hideously expensive compared to lead acid (at least until we get some economies of scale going) so they aren't being used in Carts extensively yet.

l2ridehd 04-21-2011 04:12 PM

No hostility intended. I own a gas and electric cart. Both have there place in my travel needs. The myth I was intending to dispel is that gas pollutes, electric does not. They both do, just in different ways. I have found a few studies that show that electric actually cost about 20% more to operate then gas. That has probably decreased some with the recent gas price increases, but I doubt the gap has closed. I just don't want folks buying electric because they believe they are being kinder to the environment. They really are not. Buy for the other 25 reasons one may be better then the other.

paulandjean 04-21-2011 04:15 PM

gas

I am all for gas carts. If I fill it up, I can drive to Georgia. Never had the bad gas smell people talk about,I do not smell it in the tunnels. Never had problem talking to passenger regarding noise. Thats my opinion and I am sticking with it.