Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   GPS work in TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/gps-work-tv-37519/)

springfield illinois 04-03-2011 08:01 PM

GPS work in TV

Will my gps work in TV? My bride and I of 32 years are headed to TV on easter weekend. We were wondering if the streets and trails of TV are in most GPS units.
We have no idea what were getting into,with our visit, but we didnt 32 years ago either

jack_pine 04-03-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfield illinois (Post 343768)
Will my gps work in TV? My bride and I of 32 years are headed to TV on easter weekend. We were wondering if the streets and trails of TV are in most GPS units.
We have no idea what were getting into,with our visit, but we didnt 32 years ago either

What is the make/model of your GPS? How old is it and has it been updated recently with current maps?

Bill-n-Brillo 04-03-2011 08:11 PM

springfield - If your GPS is up to date, you'll probably have all the public roads with the exception of maybe Pennecamp, Buttonwood, Tamarind Grove, and St. James. Probably won't show much if anything south of CR466A either. Also, you won't see any of the multi-modal trails on it.

But don't let any of that stop you - probably 90% of the streets will be on it for you. Also consider buying one of the "$5 maps" as it will show you all the current streets as well as the multi-modal trails.

Bill :)

nkrifats 04-03-2011 08:33 PM

Only the newer area's may not show on your GPS. I have a TOM TOM GPS and it does a good job of getting me where I am looking to go in The Villages.

springfield illinois 04-03-2011 08:35 PM

thanks

My GPS is a Garmin 255w, I have updated the maps,, I was wanting it to work in the Golf Cart,, we are doing our first visit to TV. If I would just listen to my wife,,, she tells me where to go all the time,, I just dont listen,, so we both now let the GPS guide us
thanks to all for the prompt replies

buzzy 04-03-2011 09:44 PM

I'd say, do whatever you can to download the latest map from your GPS manufacturer. I have a three year old Garmin NUVI 750 that I update a couple of times a year. When we were here in January, the Pennecamp and newer roads were not on the map. We went to contract on a home in Pennecamp. Before closing in February, I downloaded the latest map, and our new home address was in the database.

LittleDog 04-04-2011 05:29 AM

Speaking of using a gps in TV I was told that when you plot a route in TV that you should use the "shortest distance" instead of "fastest". I've used "fastest" a couple of times and the routes it recommends were really out of the way.

John

memason 04-04-2011 07:51 AM

If you're using the car [and the streets], then your GPS will likely cover everything, except the newest Villages and streets that Bill mentioned above.

The best way to use the golf cart, is to get the TV map and just head out. If you get lost or don't know how to get somewhere, just stop along the cart path and open your map. Someone will stop and help you within 1 minute, I promise!

Enjoy

buzzy 04-04-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrheydt (Post 343820)
Speaking of using a gps in TV I was told that when you plot a route in TV that you should use the "shortest distance" instead of "fastest". I've used "fastest" a couple of times and the routes it recommends were really out of the way.

John

Thanks for the tip, John. Right now, even if I'm going North, it takes me out via 466A and over to 301. I will have to give that a try.

jchase 04-04-2011 09:43 PM

I updated my Garmin NUVI 360 in February 2011 before we came down. It showed the new sections including Buttonwood.

:BigApplause:

jojo 04-04-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrheydt (Post 343820)

John

Thanks for the tip. I have definitely had that experience with my Garmin.

springfield illinois 04-23-2011 09:55 PM

Thanks

We are here,,,updated the maps.....works great......thanks for all ur help

skyguy79 04-23-2011 10:31 PM

Scenic Route through The Villages

Speaking of GPS in The Villages, a funny thing happened to us when using our OnStar to find a garage sale. The garage sale was in the Village of St. Charles just off of Bailey Trail. We were coming from our home in Hadley and as you may already know when you exit from Hadley you continue straight on Odell Circle and when you reach Buena Vista Blvd. you continue straight into St. Charles on Bailey.

My wife gave the address of the garage sale in St. Charles when we left home. When we reached the exit from Hadley, Onstar instructed that we take a right on Morse instead of continuing straight. So we took a right. When we reached the round about at Bonita, we were instructed to take a left. When we reached Buena Vista, OnStar (you guessed it) told us to take a left heading back toward Odell & Bailey. When we reached O&B OnStar told us to (again you guessed it) take a right onto Bailey!

Apparently OnStar doesn't always believe that the shortest distance between two points should be a straight line since they gave us the scenic route!:1rotfl:

Figmo Bohica 04-24-2011 09:04 AM

We just bought a house in Buttonwood and it was not in the GPS. When we got back home, I updated my Garmin GPS and all the new Villages are there. Our realtor told me to keep the Garmn updated and you should have not trouble. A life time update is only 90 bucks and well worth the expense.

tonyafd 04-24-2011 05:21 PM

Only the names change

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfield illinois (Post 343779)
My GPS is a Garmin 255w, I have updated the maps,, I was wanting it to work in the Golf Cart,, we are doing our first visit to TV. If I would just listen to my wife,,, she tells me where to go all the time,, I just dont listen,, so we both now let the GPS guide us
thanks to all for the prompt replies

My wife always sends me in the wrong direction. Garmin 255w you say? Thanks for the advise.