Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Some ads on TOTV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/some-ads-totv-37566/)

BogeyBoy 04-05-2011 06:37 PM

Some ads on TOTV

TH-

Does TOTV track your browsing history in some manner?

A while ago I was on Celebrity Cruises quite a bit and noticed a lot of their ads on TOTV.

This past month I have been on the Honda website frequently and now I am noticing Honda ads popping up.

The ads usually are at the bottom of the screen.

Talk Host 04-05-2011 06:47 PM

It's not TOTV that tracks your browsing habits, it's your internet browser and the sites that you visit. The same thing happens to us. We look at something at Amazon.com and the next thing, there's an ad for suspenders, or whatever. It gives me the creeps. :eek:

BogeyBoy 04-05-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host (Post 344321)
It's not TOTV that tracks your browsing habits, it's your internet browser and the sites that you visit. The same thing happens to us. We look at something at Amazon.com and the next thing, there's an ad for suspenders, or whatever. It gives me the creeps. :eek:

Interesting to say the least. I just went over to another computer and couldn't duplicate any of the same ads I am seeing on this computer.

When I was researching cruises I thought it was just a coincidence that those ads were popping up, but the Honda ads got my attention.

I am going to start researching farm tractors and see what I get!

One last thought - I guess the ads are more easy to notice here because there are a number of ads. I think TOTV is the only place I visit that has ads like this, most sites I go to are advertising their own products.

Talk Host 04-05-2011 07:19 PM

The ads you are referring to are "Google Ads" Google knows where you go, what you do, what you are wearing, what you are not wearing, what you are thinking, what you would like to think, what your plans are, where you plan to go to effect those plans and all of the people involved in those plans.

BogeyBoy 04-05-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host (Post 344342)
The ads you are referring to are "Google Ads" Google knows where you go, what you do, what you are wearing, what you are not wearing, what you are thinking, what you would like to think, what your plans are, where you plan to go to effect those plans and all of the people involved in those plans.

I would like to think they couldn't do this.

Hawkwind 04-05-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

And just think what they can capture when you are using their browser, Chrome. That will really make you wonder what they know about you and what information have they captured. This is why I will not use Chrome as my internet browser.

Talk Host 04-06-2011 06:49 AM

Did you know that when you download Chrome, it imbeds itself into your registry and you can't get rid of it. I downloaded it once and then tried to uninstall it. It was a nightmare. I had to go into my registry and manually change at least a dozen files where it had latched itself. It took me several hours. I think it criminal the way they do it without telling you.

Dirigo 04-06-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

GOOGLE=Big Brother

Yet we all love to use it....

Hawkwind 04-06-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host (Post 344417)
Did you know that when you download Chrome, it imbeds itself into your registry and you can't get rid of it. I downloaded it once and then tried to uninstall it. It was a nightmare. I had to go into my registry and manually change at least a dozen files where it had latched itself. It took me several hours. I think it criminal the way they do it without telling you.

Very will aware of what Chrome / Google is doing. Way back when Chrome first same out the hard core computer gurus, aka hackers, noticed a few odd things going on and they started looking into the program. They ran across a number of instances where Google was tracking your every move. The word went out via the underground to stay away from Chrome. Have you ever looked at your temp files and cookies to see who is putting things on your computer that will never expire?

Lets take things one step further. It has been rumored for a long time now that Google is working on a full blown operating system to compete with Microsoft's Windows. The android o/s for the smart phone is a basic sub set of that program. Just think of what information Google will have access to if and when the do come out that o/s. You mind as well just give them a full access stage pass to your computer and life.

BigLew 04-06-2011 08:55 AM

huh?

Quote:

so you are saying that the ads at the bottom of the totv page are google ads?

set your antivirus program to delete tracking cookies and you will eliminate SOME of this nuisance - that is if you consider ads targeted at those things that interest you to be a nuisance. :throwtomatoes:

Talk Host 04-06-2011 09:13 AM

I think that people are more surprised than annoyed that ads directed at them are appearing. If a person has a real interest in Nikon cameras (for example) it is likely that they've searched the internet for them. ( I do) Then, why would it be an annoyance to see an ad for Nikon Cameras. It's just that we are trying to adjust to the new era of advertising.

If you were interested in a vacation in Jamaica, then suddenly during Law and Order on TV an ad for Jamaica appeared, it wouldn't be annoying any more than any other commercial. I think.

JLK

collie1228 04-06-2011 11:18 AM

The issue to me is that there is a big brother (a lot of big brothers) out there keeping track of my activities. Do I trust the powers that be at Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, etc. to protect information they develop about me? Absolutely not. Frankly I don't think they care a whit about my privacy. The obvious answer is stay off the internet and don't use a cell phone, but it's becoming impossible to lead a "normal" life without these electronic tools. So what to do? My libertarian streak says don't let the government get involved, but I'm afraid it will come to that. This industry will never be able to police itself.

BritParrothead 04-07-2011 07:12 AM

Main reason I did not down/upload google chrome. Did not like it one bit!:(

GeorgeT 04-07-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host (Post 344458)
I think that people are more surprised than annoyed that ads directed at them are appearing. If a person has a real interest in Nikon cameras (for example) it is likely that they've searched the internet for them. ( I do) Then, why would it be an annoyance to see an ad for Nikon Cameras. It's just that we are trying to adjust to the new era of advertising.

If you were interested in a vacation in Jamaica, then suddenly during Law and Order on TV an ad for Jamaica appeared, it wouldn't be annoying any more than any other commercial. I think.

JLK

I'm way more annoyed then surprised in fact, I'm not surprised at all. It's like having a salesman ringing your door bell every 5 minutes. I don't care if I'm interested in the product or not. Don't call me, I'll call you. Thank you very much.

BigLew 04-07-2011 07:51 AM

personally it really doesn't bother me

after all if it wasn't a 'targeted' ad it would just be another random ad...an ad is an ad is an ad!:MOJE_whot: