Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   New Clubs? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/new-clubs-37574/)

dsnrbec 04-06-2011 07:13 AM

New Clubs?

Is there any place in the area that sells moderately priced golf clubs? My husband doesn't get to play everyday since he is still working but he hasn't had a new set of clubs in over 20 years. I want something better than Walmart but not top of the line either.

graciegirl 04-06-2011 07:39 AM

I see this kind of post on here all of the time. My first set was so long ago, I can't remember. I must have had them cobbled together from family members.

If you can find used decent clubs, maybe from someone who is playing in the Village of Heavenly, (at an estate sale, a garage sale, on Craigs list,) they would be better than some really stiff starter clubs available at a discount store.

This is a difficult situation because good clubs are better, but they don't mean much to a beginning golfer and they are REALLY, REALLY expensive.

l2ridehd 04-06-2011 08:59 AM

I buy my clubs on e-bay. If you look for sets that are 2 or 3 years old, select the shaft flex and type you need, you can buy them for about 25% of new cost. My last set for example was King Cobra FP 3-GW, RH, graphite regular flex shafts, and I paid $225 for the set. This was 2 years ago.

I have been watching the newer S3 irons and they are still running a little over $300 for a set. When they drop down to around $250, I will replace these. I do the same thing for woods and only buy when I can get newer technology for about 30% of new cost.

First step is to decide what clubs you want. Then decide what you will pay, then start searching and watching for the best condition and price.

I used to make all my clubs and still do some things like change shafts and grips, adjust swing weights, but it is actually cheaper to buy this way then to build.

sonny&karen 04-06-2011 09:29 AM

golf clubs

try Dicks Sporting good on line ,I just bought wife a new set of clubs for $200 and they are pretty nice clubs ,they 50% off

njbchbum 04-06-2011 09:29 AM

how would i even begin to understand what kind, size, shape, shaft flexibility my husband or i would want/need before i set out to buy a set of used clubs for either of us? how would i know how long a club should be for me - i am taller than the avg female. the putter at the mini golf course feels short to me.

dsnrbec 04-06-2011 10:07 AM

And I thought the game itself was complicated!

hedoman 04-06-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 344462)
how would i even begin to understand what kind, size, shape, shaft flexibility my husband or i would want/need before i set out to buy a set of used clubs for either of us? how would i know how long a club should be for me - i am taller than the avg female. the putter at the mini golf course feels short to me.

I could probably fit your husband with a few informational items if you want to PM me. I do that for a living up here as part of my many other Director of Golf responsibilities. Of course it is always better if a live fitter who could measure and observe clubhead speed, launch angle, ball flight, age, height etc. but maybe I could get enough info to "technically fit him" so you know what to ask/look for whne you buy clubs

graciegirl 04-06-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 344462)

Well, we are going to have to solve this, because I want to play golf with you. I was taller too.. I was 5'9" when I was younger and I still play with mens length clubs. Not well, but I use THAT as my excuse, or one of them.

I think...starting with a five, seven, nine, pitching wedge, and a five wood, putter, even if they didn't match would be a good start. Cheap used good brand is better than cheap new stiff...just my opinion.

Realize that in the beginning you will cuss and throw them..........

aln 04-06-2011 10:48 AM

I'd recommend going to the Villages Custom Club shop at Palmer Legends CC.

There he can take out different sets at NO COST to try for a few days (~3).

Then he can shop for price.

Also I've heard the pro at Tree Tops on Rolling Acres is a good "fitter".

batman911 04-06-2011 01:13 PM

A good set of used quality clubs is better than a new set at the same price.

Mallory 04-06-2011 01:36 PM

I believe the Custom Club Shop now has a yearly membership of $50. to use their demo sets. If I recall correctly, that amount can be applied to the purchase of a new set of clubs there.

I did buy a pretty good set of irons there for my grandson at a very reasonable cost. His #1 set will stay at home but can use these when he's down here.

mdfrog 04-06-2011 03:42 PM

New Clubs

If your planning on buying them for your husband you should consult with him. I know I wouldn't want someone picking out clubs for me. If some friend tells him he should have gotten something different he'll think that what he has could be a mistake. Better his mistake than yours. Just my opinion.

Mikeod 04-06-2011 04:48 PM

I would recommend a fitting. Clubs that don't fit introduce the need for compensations in the golf swing that can make the game little fun. For a recreational golfer, this can be as simple as recommending shaft flex, length, lie, and overall weight. I believe the Custom Golf Shop at Palmer will do a fitting for about $50. You don't need to buy the clubs from them, although they may have a used set that meets many or most of the specs they recommend. You will save yourself lots of money and frustration getting fit first, even if your a new golfer.

Be wary of eBay. There are a lot of counterfeit clubs being sold these days. If a deal seems really, really good, the clubs are probably counterfeit. This usually applies to new sets, but there are more and more used sets that are also counterfeit. Someone bought them, didn't like them, or found out they are counterfeit, and is trying to unload them to an unsuspecting buyer.

graciegirl 04-06-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod (Post 344584)
I would recommend a fitting. Clubs that don't fit introduce the need for compensations in the golf swing that can make the game little fun. For a recreational golfer, this can be as simple as recommending shaft flex, length, lie, and overall weight. I believe the Custom Golf Shop at Palmer will do a fitting for about $50. You don't need to buy the clubs from them, although they may have a used set that meets many or most of the specs they recommend. You will save yourself lots of money and frustration getting fit first, even if your a new golfer.

Be wary of eBay. There are a lot of counterfeit clubs being sold these days. If a deal seems really, really good, the clubs are probably counterfeit. This usually applies to new sets, but there are more and more used sets that are also counterfeit. Someone bought them, didn't like them, or found out they are counterfeit, and is trying to unload them to an unsuspecting buyer.

Wow. Fifty dollars? If you haven't ever played golf, hand them ten bucks and ask them if you need mens clubs or ladies...That is if you a girl person.

dsnrbec 04-06-2011 06:17 PM

As usual, good advice from everyone. After reading replies and doing my own research, I have concluded that the best course of action is to have him analyzed/fitted before purchasing. Thanks for the info on the Palmer resource. There's also a guy at The Golf Institute on 441 just south of 466 who does the same thing. I would be interested to know if anyone has used him.