Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Move over (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/move-over-37590/)

Talk Host 04-06-2011 04:16 PM

Move over

The Florida Senate has passed a bill that will make it illegal to stay in the left lane on multi lane highways. It passed 37 to 1. It now goes to the house where a similar bill has already been introduced.

Man, the police will have a field day handing out tickets. There is nothing that drives me crazier than drivers that doddle in the left lane. They use it like it's the only lane available.

red tail 04-06-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host (Post 344570)
The Florida Senate has passed a bill that will make it illegal to stay in the left lane on multi lane highways. It passed 37 to 1. It now goes to the house where a similar bill has already been introduced.

Man, the police will have a field day handing out tickets. There is nothing that drives me crazier than drivers that doddle in the left lane. They use it like it's the only lane available.

hallejujah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redwitch 04-06-2011 04:31 PM

So, when will they make it a law that big rigs have to stay in the right-hand lane unless passing? It scares me to no end to have big rigs in every lane. (But about time for this law, not that I've ever seen it do a bit of good, at leasst not in California.)

jebartle 04-06-2011 04:54 PM

I couldn't agree with you more Talk Host

My favorite comment, "Well, I'm doing the speed limit", and I say "Do it, in the RIGHT lane", it is not up to the individuals to police the roads, as you say, MOVE OVER....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host (Post 344570)

BogeyBoy 04-06-2011 05:07 PM

My favorite is the driver that enters the highway and makes a beeline for that left lane, then drives at 55.

GeorgeT 04-06-2011 05:45 PM

So the left lane can't be used as a travel lane?? Ever?? There's got to be more to it than that.

Pturner 04-06-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeT (Post 344621)
So the left lane can't be used as a travel lane?? Ever?? There's got to be more to it than that.

I think it means people can no longer picnic in the fast lane. :thumbup: It can only be used as a passing lane.

katezbox 04-06-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 344588)
My favorite comment, "Well, I'm doing the speed limit", and I say "Do it, in the RIGHT lane", it is not up to the individuals to police the roads, as you say, MOVE OVER....

JEB...

I agree - but only if the person in the left lane is passing another vehicle. As long as they are passing someone they have every right to be there - they shouldn't be inconvenienced by drivers who want to exceed the speed limit...

JMHO

k

brostholder 04-06-2011 06:03 PM

My pet peeve is the 18 wheeler that pulls into the left lane to pass another 18 wheeler but won't speed up enough to make the pass and winds up going down the road side by side for miles while traffic backs up behind him. I would love to hear from some of our retired over the road drivers as to why some truckers do this.

skyguy79 04-06-2011 06:24 PM

What? There wasn't a "Failure to Keep Right" law in Florida? If there was, then why the new law. If they didn't enforce the failure to keep right law, then what good does a new law do? :shocked:

Bogie Shooter 04-06-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyBoy (Post 344596)
My favorite is the driver that enters the highway and makes a beeline for that left lane, then drives at 55.

This is done on Buena Vista & Morse Blvd all the time....only they go 25 MPH!

redwitch 04-06-2011 06:35 PM

Sky, there wasn't a law requiring anyone to stay in the right lane except to move over for emergency vehicles.

Chief X 04-06-2011 06:42 PM

i call em mouth breathers - and the u.s. is full of them. easily recognized by hands on ten and two on the steering wheel and gaping open mouths. they haven't got a clue. it's about time florida.

BogeyBoy 04-06-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brostholder (Post 344634)
My pet peeve is the 18 wheeler that pulls into the left lane to pass another 18 wheeler but won't speed up enough to make the pass and winds up going down the road side by side for miles while traffic backs up behind him. I would love to hear from some of our retired over the road drivers as to why some truckers do this.

I think these drivers make a bad decision on when to pass. There may be a slight uphill grade that means nothing to us in our cars but slows the trucker ever so slightly so passing takes forever. They may have just heard on the CB radio that there is a trooper up ahead so they are creeping by to not look to obvious. Or maybe they just aren't paying attention to the traffic around them - or worse yet - they don't care.

Then again, I have been driving RV's of one kind or another for over 16 years and sometimes you innocently get into a situation that you wish you had avoided.

barb1191 04-06-2011 07:24 PM

How can that law be enforced when one MUST drive in the far left lane to make a left turn off of Rte 441 and any of these divided, dual lane roads????? Just askin'....