Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Watch your cats!!!- Cat theft (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/watch-your-cats-cat-theft-37638/)

Bambi 04-07-2011 06:32 PM

Watch your cats!!!- Cat theft

One of my friends just told me that her next door neighbor's cat was outside by the driveway. A man in a silver SUV got out of his car, petted the cat and then put it in his car and drove away. Cat (Max) is mostly black with a few white markings and a torn ear. Unbelieveable. This happened on Creekside Cir.in Calumet Grove (Marion County part of TV).

FLBuckeyeIII 04-07-2011 06:55 PM

Could there be a chance that he thought the cat was a stray? Did it have a tag?

graciegirl 04-07-2011 06:56 PM

Reason enough to keep cats indoors.

Frightening.

Pturner 04-07-2011 07:17 PM

Posse Alert

If there's a cat thief out there, Gracie, Red and I would welcome an opportunity to beat the **** out of him.

redwitch 04-07-2011 07:27 PM

or sic our critters on 'em and then beat the carp out of 'em!

What a horrid thing to do. Here's hoping the creep did it so he could "earn" a reward (used to happen all the time in California with dogs) rather than some other purpose.

Tbugs 04-07-2011 08:31 PM

A cat should never, never be loose outdoors. Theft is terrible but if the cat was indoors it would not have happened. Cats loose outdoors will kill songbirds, get hit by cars, eat spoiled food, or get stolen.

K9-Lovers 04-07-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbugs (Post 344991)
A cat should never, never be loose outdoors. Theft is terrible but if the cat was indoors it would not have happened. Cats loose outdoors will kill songbirds, get hit by cars, eat spoiled food, or get stolen.

:agree: Or get eaten.

skyguy79 04-07-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Before anyone makes an assumption that the owner of the cat intentionally let their cat out, lets remember that cats can accidentally get out of the house. That my biggest concern for when we bring our felines down in the fall.

A number of years ago we were quietly sitting in our living room on the upper level of a split-ranch. Suddenly we heard barking coming from our front door. I said "I wonder who the h*** let their dog out on the loose?" When my wife went down check the door she found it was our Sheena (German Shepherd) that was doing the barking. She wanted in!

What happened was that we had our furnace serviced earlier and when he was done he said he would let himself out downstairs. Well, he left the lower level and left the door to the porch open; he went from the porch to the garage and left the porch door open and then left the garage, got into his truck and left... and guess what? Right! He left the garage door open. Sheena simply strolled out of the house, through the porch to the garage then had a blast exploring the neighborhood! THANK YOU SERVICEMAN!

As least she knew her way back, but if she didn't heaven only knows how long it would have taken for us to realize that she wasn't just somewhere in the house taking a nap! BTW, we never-ever let her out of the house unless it was in our fenced in back yard or on a leash!

Barefoot 04-08-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

:agree: Every week we read about lost cats in the Daily Sun Lost and Found, and hear about them on the radio. It is very sad. I hate seeing the hungry feral cats living in the grass on the golf courses, and having litter after litter.

Please keep your cats indoors!

Bonny 04-08-2011 01:14 AM

I'm so sorry that this happened, however, animals should never be let outside without a leash. Please keep your animals safe.

graciegirl 04-08-2011 06:52 AM

Cats live longer and are healthier if they are kept away from other animals and stuff outside. They aren't allowed to roam free in The Villages.

I just can't think why someone would steal a cat when there are so many available for adoption.

Perhaps since the kitty was black and marked very much like our cats are marked, one you see a lot, that he thought the cat was his?

Usually an unscrupulous person who wants cats to sell for experiments go to where free kittens are advertised.

Sparky-30 04-08-2011 06:55 AM

I live in Calumet, my two cats are 14 and constantly yack all over the carpet, maybe I will let them out today!chilout

Bonny 04-08-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky-30 (Post 345057)
I live in Calumet, my two cats are 14 and constantly yack all over the carpet, maybe I will let them out today!chilout

??

mjb902 04-08-2011 09:11 AM

Cat napper

Sigh....I really, really hope this man did not take my beloved Oliver. There have been no new sightings in the last few days.

Barefoot 04-08-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky-30 (Post 345057)

:ho: :1rotfl: Hey Sparky, do you also post under the name "Fumar"?