Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Butterfly Stomping, April 7 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/butterfly-stomping-april-7-a-37639/)

Tbugs 04-07-2011 08:27 PM

Butterfly Stomping, April 7

I was down at Spanish Springs town square today for the Monarch butterfly release. Somewhere around 200 beautiful butterflies were released and took flight.

Very shortly after the release, one Monarch butterfly returned to the town square and landed on the dance area. I was totally shocked to see a little boy around 8 years old run up to the butterfly and stomp on it twice. A lady went to the boy's father and told him what had happened. The father talked to the boy and had the boy take him to the dead butterfly. The boy stomped on it two more times and laughed.

What kind of child is this? Does not sound normal but more like a sociopath. It also reflects on the parenting skills or lack thereof.

The Great Fumar 04-07-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbugs (Post 344989)
I was down at Spanish Springs town square today for the Monarch butterfly release. Somewhere around 200 beautiful butterflies were released and took flight.

Very shortly after the release, one Monarch butterfly returned to the town square and landed on the dance area. I was totally shocked to see a little boy around 8 years old run up to the butterfly and stomp on it twice. A lady went to the boy's father and told him what had happened. The father talked to the boy and had the boy take him to the dead butterfly. The boy stomped on it two more times and laughed.

What kind of child is this? Does not sound normal but more like a sociopath. It also reflects on the parenting skills or lack thereof.

Say what you will about that little boy but his father knows that FRED ASTAIRE and GENE KELLY got their start that way ...
Was the kid skinny and wearing a straw hat and if so , was he by any chance carrying a cane....

just a thought .. fumar ...:1rotfl:

K9-Lovers 04-07-2011 10:07 PM

When attending church in Virginia, we always seemed to sit behind a lovely young couple with the cutest little girl, about 3 years old. This little girl was puzzling to me. She would not be able to sit still for any period of time, not even one minute. And, she would take all the toys her mom would bring and destroy them. She had a little doll and she would pretend to be strangling the doll. She would actually put all her weight behind the strangling, to be sure that the little doll was choked to death. It was really hard to focus on the service, that's for sure.

Soon, the mom had another baby. I always worried about their new little boy, thinking about that little girl torturing the baby.

Scary, huh?

tudacee 04-07-2011 10:54 PM

I'm sorry, but that kind of behavior from an 8 year old shows he has little respect for living things. Stomping on a butterfly with such gusto shows much hostility...

sigh!

memason 04-08-2011 08:23 AM

Seriously ???

More pathetic humor....

Thank goodness this child did not step on a dog!

It's a kid, for crying out loud...

pooh 04-08-2011 09:30 AM

What a sad thing to have happen. Then, it was a child and they don't always have the empathy to realize what they've done and how it can impact others or even the creature they've "taken out." Hopefully the parent will teach this child that this wasn't the right thing to do, but maybe in the home this child is from, someone actually hates insects and stomps the crap out of them. Kids follow our examples, not necessarily do they listen to what we say. (Then again, maybe this kid is just going to be one of those humans that has very little feeling for anyone....only themselves. We'll never know?)

novie2 04-08-2011 10:22 AM

How very sad......should have been a teaching opportunity for that child .......whenever I see a butterfly I am reminded of this story

http://www.nursefriendly.com/nursing...ly.courage.htm

graciegirl 04-08-2011 11:02 AM

Dear Muncle. How you are missed.

hedoman 04-08-2011 11:09 AM

That's why we are moving to TV to get away from unruly "rugrats" and the father just stood by? Sheeesh......

katezbox 04-08-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 345139)
Dear Muncle. How you are missed.

:BigApplause: