Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   How bad is it? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/how-bad-37656/)

ladydoc 04-08-2011 12:16 PM

How bad is it?

We are thrilled that we closed on our house purchase on March 31th. Went off without a hitch; we had been a little worried about closing without us being there. However, Brenda did her usual wonderful job for us and get a few things fixed with the builder.

Now, however, it seems that everyone is telling us how terrible the summers are. We live in New Mexico now and would kill for a little humidity. How bad does it get in the summer? I assume you do not plan any major activies outdoors in the blaze of summer...but really, what can we expect ie: heat, humidity. We are up 6000 feet in the mountains and it never gets higher then the 80s here.

Packing has been all consuming...I can not believe how much we are giving to the humane society. Hubs seems to be driving out there every other day with a load full. It does feel good to be rid of a lot of excess though. I am sure I am still packing way too much, but I am sure I am not the Lone Ranger on that front!

I look forward to hearing from you experts about what to expect in the summer; just be gentle. :kiss:

texasfal 04-08-2011 12:29 PM

You're from New Mexico? The summers will be a breeze for you guys. Come on down and enjoy the afternoon showers and the breezes off the gulf. You'll be fine!

redwitch 04-08-2011 12:40 PM

The humidity can be pretty brutal for those of us used to dry heat. I left California in September -- the temp was 107 as we were loading the truck; got tired from the work but really no problem. I arrived in Florida -- the temp was 83 as we unpacked the same truck. I thought I was going to die. Actually unloaded and started unpacking but told my daughter to pack an overnight bag and took her to New Orleans. Figured we needed to get acclimated to the humidity before it killed us, so may as well have some fun getting used to it. So, yes, it's bad but you do get used to it and it does become tolerable (as long as you're not outside in it too much). Dry heat is much easier to tolerate.

Do be prepared to have sweat drip off of you for at least the first summer while riding around in your golf cart or walking into a building. Again, it gets easier every year and you usually get a chance to get acclimated somewhat to the summer by the spring rains.

katezbox 04-08-2011 12:48 PM

For us, coming from New England where the summer temps are lower but the humidity index higher, I don't find it a problem. That said, I like to walk early in the day and golf in the early evenings. The evenings are wonderful - nice breezes....

K9-Lovers 04-08-2011 01:24 PM

We moved here a year ago May 1st. That's when I decided to stop wearing face makeup. It just washes away as soon as you step outdoors in summer. So now I moisturize with sunscreen.

The good news is: my face feels and looks much healthier!

ps. This is Mrs. K9 speaking.

Mudder 04-08-2011 01:53 PM

You do active things early in the day and late in the afternoon. Yes, you sweat alot, but it's ok, it's healthy. On the other hand you have to have a sweater with you when you go to movies, restaurants, food stores, etc....because everything is super cooled.

pooh 04-08-2011 03:14 PM

Like Redwitch, I'm from Southern CA. Temps were hot, but no humidity. When I arrived here, temps were much lower, but humidity was considerable higher. First summer was an adjustment, 2nd one, actually not easier, it was warmer, not just here, but throughout the country and some northern areas had it much worse than here. Now I've made adjustments to my time outdoors in the summer. I just don't play golf if it's too hot and stay in a comfortable climate. There are other things to do if you find the heat and humidity too much for you....but you do acclimate. We just returned from North Carolina where the temps were in the 40's and they felt really, really cold to me. Wasn't like that prior to living here. Don't worry, everything is air conditioned. If it's hot, go to the pool, go to the rec centers, go to the movies, go shopping or just stay in your beautiful new home and read, watch tv or play a game with friends you have over.

Congratulations on paring down your "things"....and you know, when you get here, you'll actually do even more paring. It's really fun to not have so many things, gives you more time for you!

chuckinca 04-08-2011 04:25 PM

I believe Redwitch moved to TV from Pleasant Hill, CA near Concord in NORCAL.

GO GIANTS!

JohnN 04-08-2011 04:43 PM

I like it all year round.
In winter, cool in the early am and late pm, but great otherwise.
Summers are reversed, it's great early and late, breezy too, but the midday gets pretty hot and I take a siesta!

redwitch 04-08-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca (Post 345245)

GO GIANTS!

Giants suck eggs! GOOOO A'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jtdraig 04-08-2011 05:05 PM

We came here from 24 years in Connecticut with prior stretches in Northern Virginia, Arizona, and New York. The summers are hot and humid...and we love it. There is often a nice breeze, evenings and mornings are usually great, and you do indoor things during the day unless you are hard-core (as in golfer) which pass by our house on Allamanda all day long, every day! We learned in Northern Virginia that when Mother Nature doles out heat and humidity you adapt, improvise, and overcome. We love it here.

PS, get rid of EVERYTHING you don't need..when you thought you have gotten rid of all of it, go through things again and get rid of some more.

pooh 04-08-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca (Post 345245)

GO GIANTS!

Oops, that should have said CA and not southern CA. CA gets hot in the summer, in most of the state, there is no doubt....it can sort of be like an oven...you know, that dry heat...lol. When humidity levels were in the 50% range, some complained of the "high humidity."

nitakk 04-08-2011 06:49 PM

We also moved here from SoCal 7 years ago (has it really been that long??) and I was totally unprepared for the humidity. I probably showered 5 times a day the first summer at the first sign of sweat! Now I go out golfing in the afternoon in the summer, also with no makeup because it just drips off your face, and absolutely love it! You come home and peel your clothes off because they are stuck to you with sweat and jump in the world's best cool shower. It is absolutely the best time of the year for those of us who are here full time because the golfing is plentiful and the restaurants are ripe for the picking at whatever time you want to go.
I will say the humidity does take some adjustment - first year you think, oh my God, what have I done? The second year is better and by the third, you are praying for summer to get here and the crowds to go away!

pooh 04-08-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitakk (Post 345280)
We also moved here from SoCal 7 years ago (has it really been that long??) and I was totally unprepared for the humidity. I probably showered 5 times a day the first summer at the first sign of sweat! Now I go out golfing in the afternoon in the summer, also with no makeup because it just drips off your face, and absolutely love it! You come home and peel your clothes off because they are stuck to you with sweat and jump in the world's best cool shower. It is absolutely the best time of the year for those of us who are here full time because the golfing is plentiful and the restaurants are ripe for the picking at whatever time you want to go.
I will say the humidity does take some adjustment - first year you think, oh my God, what have I done? The second year is better and by the third, you are praying for summer to get here and the crowds to go away!

First people we talked to when we visited were from So CA. They asked us a question about something heard on the radio. Hubby and I were eating at Johnny Rockets. You could be the people... ;) Escondido and Rancho Penasquitos mean anything to you! (Showers were something talked about!)

marybb 04-08-2011 09:02 PM

Ladydoc, congrats on closing on your home. My husband and I are going through the same thing as I type this, packing up and moving to our home in buttonwood. Living in Ma. Humidity is high in the summer, think we can make the adjustment just fine and you will to, after all we are moving to paradise. Hope you have many happy healthy years in tv.