Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Packing our Pod (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/packing-our-pod-37681/)

Minnesotalyn 04-09-2011 12:10 PM

Packing our Pod

We are getting our POD next Thurs. and I'm looking for some advice on packing it. From the people who have used the POD, Did any one have any damage and is there any thing you would do differently if packing another one.

JohnM 04-09-2011 12:50 PM

We did not have any damage ... we had a lot of boxes and packed it as tightly as possible ... suggest that you pack it tightly to avoid having things bounce around ... GOOD LUCK!

skip0358 04-09-2011 01:11 PM

No Damage

We added extra anchors both to the floor and 4x4 posts and tied stuff off every 4' to the 4x4 posts. We also didn't pack it all the way to the ceiling. Everything arrived safe and sound.

D&Lsunfun 04-09-2011 01:39 PM

packing pod

we used something similar to a pod, from abf transportation, the drop off driver gave us hints and so did the web site.
pack tight, and tie across and up and down, pack like a puzzle, fit small boxes into spaces. we used about 50 boxes and a patio set with glass table, (boxed) 2 tv's, even golf clubs and a box of beverages,
nothing was broke, and the only item that shifted was our bed pillows in large garbage bags, excellent way to move.

laryb 04-09-2011 04:32 PM

I am in the middle of packing my 2 ABF cubes and just took a break to rest and check out totv. If I really tried, I could probably fit every thing into one, but then I would be packing boxes 8 ft. high. I have a 58" flat screen that I saved the box for, even though wifey said to get rid of it, and I figure I'll tie it against the side wall and then tie my TempurPedic and foundation against that. Then I'll put two glass table tops between the TV and mattress. It'll cost an extra $500 for the second one, but with two big wheeled tool boxes in there, I don't want to see the rope break and have it slam against the TV. If I was in there, I'd probably throw myself in front of the TV to save it!:duck: My main concern is that I don't want to leave them in the driveway to long and annoy the neighbors, not a good way to start out. The plan is to drop them off on Thurs or Friday(Good Friday if possible), then have my son unload it Saturday, and pick them up Monday. Think anyone will have a problem with them there that long?

CaliforniaGirl 04-09-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laryb (Post 345544)
I am in the middle of packing my 2 ABF cubes and just took a break to rest and check out totv. If I really tried, I could probably fit every thing into one, but then I would be packing boxes 8 ft. high. I have a 58" flat screen that I saved the box for, even though wifey said to get rid of it, and I figure I'll tie it against the side wall and then tie my TempurPedic and foundation against that. Then I'll put two glass table tops between the TV and mattress. It'll cost an extra $500 for the second one, but with two big wheeled tool boxes in there, I don't want to see the rope break and have it slam against the TV. If I was in there, I'd probably throw myself in front of the TV to save it!:duck: My main concern is that I don't want to leave them in the driveway to long and annoy the neighbors, not a good way to start out. The plan is to drop them off on Thurs or Friday(Good Friday if possible), then have my son unload it Saturday, and pick them up Monday. Think anyone will have a problem with them there that long?

Just a quick FYI for what it's worth - professional movers are not allowed to transport a tempurpedic (or any visco foam) mattress vertically, MUST remain horizontal during transport. There are usually 3 layers of foam, and moving them vertically can cause them to separate or "settle", making the mattress basically worthless. Regular mattresses can travel vertically with no problem.

Lianne from CT 04-09-2011 05:26 PM

We moved to The Villages from CT last August and used an 8 x 16 POD. We packed it as tightly as we could (so much so that I had trouble reopening the doors on this end when it was delivered here). Not a single thing was broken! All damage occurred on this end while unpacking and shuffling things around. I was very pleased with the POD. One thing that I have since found is that I retained way too much from the old house to go into the new home. Be really careful when making those choices. I could kick myself for some of the stuff I brought to FL. Now I have to find some organization to give the stuff to on this end (after I've found the time to set it all aside for collection).

punkpup 04-09-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl (Post 345550)
Just a quick FYI for what it's worth - professional movers are not allowed to transport a tempurpedic (or any visco foam) mattress vertically, MUST remain horizontal during transport. There are usually 3 layers of foam, and moving them vertically can cause them to separate or "settle", making the mattress basically worthless. Regular mattresses can travel vertically with no problem.

WOW, good to know about those tempurpedic mattresses! I suppose the same thing applies to knockoff tempurpedics too.

784caroline 04-09-2011 08:27 PM

The POD will pack better if you use standard size moving boxes as opposed to getting boxes from the supermarket or some other source. Also we used professional packers to pack the pods and we also got guys here in TV to unload the PODs. We had very monimal damage...couple of scrathes o a table but other than that NONE. Agree with an earlier comment. if in doubt dont take it because your lifestyle of living will be differnet here especaillly if you are comming form a colder climate.

laryb 04-09-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl (Post 345550)

Thanks for the heads up, it probably saved my mattress! :thumbup: I'll lay it on top of the boxes and protect the TV with patio cushions and the mattress foundation

taylor111947 04-09-2011 09:22 PM

I'm thinking of using PODs also, but I have a couple of questions:

How do you decide if you need more than one POD? Something tells me that if I need more than one I'm taking way too much. Plan A was to buy all new furniture when I got down there so I thought one POD would be sufficient. But I just realized that I could be eating, sitting and sleeping on the floor for quite awhile if I buy things that are not in stock. So on to Plan B - take some basic furniture - a bedroom set, kitchen table and chairs , patio furniture and a sofa.

If you use more than one POD do they all have to be delivered on the same day?

How did you find someone to pack on your end and unpack in TV?

And did you mean they filled the boxes or did you do that and they loaded the POD? I'm thinking of using plastic storage containers as much as possible - then I'll have someplace to store the stuff I will realize I didn't need to bring in the first place. :sigh:

Luckily a nearby church is having a huge garage sale at the end of April and they will come and pick up my donations. The timing couldn't be better.

784caroline 04-10-2011 09:07 AM

To save ime and money we packed the "majority " of boxes and prepared the majority of large items like tvs mirrors etc . WE bought "Moving" boxes and bubble wrap and packing tape (you need alot of tape) from Sams club or if we neeed speciality boxes from the local U-Haul palce. WE also "rented" about 20 heavy moving blankets from Uhaul and you can return them here locally. Personally I dont think the large Plastic storage containers are the thing to use in a move....although we have a number of them here in TV for attic storage. You will need lot of them to fill up a POD and they are much more expensive....and your storage here in TV above the garage is very limited!

How do you find packers that we carry your boxes to the pod and then pack and stuff the POd....go to this web site http://www.uhaul.com/MovingHelp/ and simply enter your zip code. They rate the local packers and give you a rough idea of pricing. It taked more me to load a pod than it does to unload....but then when you unload it will also require time if you wnat the guys to put the bed together, hand the mirrors etc.

HOW many PODS do you need? Good question.... we had no idea and had actually had 3 BIG pods delivered to our northern residence. You can only use the BIG pods for interstate moves. When the packers arrived (adn you need to schedule these guys weeks ahead of time during Prime Move season), we had most of teh boxes prepared. Our instructions to the packers were our GOAL was to move only 2 PODS...and we identified teh stuff and large furniture that would go on last. If it could not fit in POD 2 and we only had 1/4 - 1/2 of POD 3 filled...we were leaving it behind. You could use the same theory with only 2 pods also. The guys we had were very good and we accomplished our goal of 2 pods with very little left behind. The 3rd POD was returned to the company unused and no extra cost for having a spare on hand. They really used all the moving PADS to cover things very well. They also helped pack things we did not properly prepare like large pictures unususal shaped lamps etc. LESSON LEARNED: Get rid of everything you have not used in the past year or more...if in doubt toss or donate it....and garage sale about 2-3 weeks before the packers come allowing you time to ship things off to thrift stores etc.

Now the problem occurred with delivery in the Villages. We made arrangements for the Unpackers to come on a certain day. The POds ..both of them..were to be delivered a day earlier. When teh first pod came he droppped in our driveway and said he would deliver the 2nd pod when this one is empty. I told thim that is unaccepatable for I have 3 guys comming tomorrow to unpack BOTH pods. The POD driver tells me he cannot drop 2 pods in my drivway and I tell him he can and I will sign a waiver if he has to go on my grass......we wil be careful of the sprinkler heads. WE got into a major argument for he said he could not do this...I said I wanted to talk to his boss and he said his boss would call me ...I said NO I want to talk to him NOW and stood in front of the truck not allowing him to leave. He threathen to call the police I told him to go ahead..GREAT advertising..finally I got the boss on the line.....he told the driver to take some pictures and he wouold look at them when he returned and make a decision to bring the 2nd pod. Long story short.......they came with the second pod and this time a MORE experienced driver came. He told me there is no problem and that the "rookie" driver was just being cautious because there are alot of rules regarding pod drop offs.....never on the street, not on grass, and not more than 72 hours.......SO MAKE SURE YOU AVE ROOM AT YOUR VILLAGE LOCATION TO RECEIVE THE POD.

With all this going on a neighbor came by to welcome us to the neighborhood before teh 2nd POD arrived, and I explained our situation. he said he would help us UNLOAD the pod...but we knew one pod had all the heavy furniture in it that we could not move.....fortunately this was the easy pod. What a way to meet great "new" neighbors in TV.

Overall the POD experience was a good one and we would probbaly use it again. Much better than some of the horror stories I heard from people that used the BIg moving companies!

Bill-n-Brillo 04-10-2011 09:14 AM

Put the heavier stuff in first (bottom of the POD/trailer) - lighter stuff towards the top. I know, it's easier said than done! :)

Bill

jgbama 04-10-2011 12:14 PM

Downsize - Downsize

My wife and I were discussing, just last night, our planned approach in preparing to be "frogs", and it to go with the numerous suggestions we've read on TOTV - downsize, donate, thrift store. And when you think you are through, downsize, donate, thrift store some more. We don't want to spend our first month in TV sorting and fussing because we brought too much junk and didn't get rid of it back in Alabama.

I like the post that said if you have not used it in a year. . . get rid of it! We are not bringing furniture as we "hope" to find a furnished pre-owned. We have found in our 41 years of marriage (celebrated last night), that the real valuables are each other. We are outgoing people and are just that - out, going!

My plan, at least for now, is to get everything that really matters to us in a small U-Haul truck and tow her car behind it. I will sale my car here, because my next car will be a golf cart!!

Good luck to all who are packing now. There certainly is a lot of planning that goes into making a move when you aren't having everything packed, like an Air Force move where even the dust gets packed up!! :smiley: Nothing saddens me more than getting to a new home, start unpacking boxes and saying, "hey, this is the same junk from our other house!" :1rotfl:

Dan =^..^= 04-10-2011 02:32 PM

I also used the ABF Relocube instead of a POD and had no problems. I made sure it was packed as tight as I could get it and I used straps and rope to help secure some of the larger items. Everything survived without a scratch.

By the way, the best advice so far is "downsize"! :thumbup: