Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Roof problems (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/roof-problems-37695/)

HMLRHT1 04-09-2011 11:15 PM

Roof problems

I was just notified by a neighbor today that there is a roofing problem in The Village of Duval. There appears to be a defect in some of the roofing material manufactured by Owens Corning. Does anyone know anything about this? I was told by my neighbor who had their roof inspected that their roof is ok but another neighbor who also had their roof inspected is defective. I was told also that there is a 50% chance of having defective material on your roof in this area.

Sparky-30 04-10-2011 03:14 AM

Call 1-800 roofing to get your starter package to have your roof inspected.

mulligan 04-10-2011 06:37 AM

Check out the VHA website. They have addressed this issue at length, and all your questions will be answered.

HMLRHT1 04-10-2011 05:25 PM

Thanks all, Mulligan, where on the VHA website is that info? I registered for the site and tried to search around but didn't see anything regarding any issues.

Bill-n-Brillo 04-10-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 (Post 345799)
Thanks all, Mulligan, where on the VHA website is that info? I registered for the site and tried to search around but didn't see anything regarding any issues.

Once you're at www.thevha.net, click on 'The Villages Voice' at the top. Then, in the Search box, enter 'roofing'. You should see links to 6 articles from various months that you can view, all related to the roofing shingle issue.

The problem wasn't with all roofs in Duval, just certain homes built in a particular timeframe from what I understand. We recently bought a resale in Duval, knew of the shingle issue, and specifically had the roof checked out as part of the upfront home inspection. I spoke with the gentleman who did the inspection about the shingle issues - he was more than well aware of the situation and knew what to look for. He got up on the roof and walked it - a number of inspectors don't bother getting up on the roof! Gave our roof a clean bill of health.

IMHO, it would be best to have your roof inspected if you have the concern.

Bill :)

Sparky-30 04-11-2011 02:17 PM

OC just replaced my roof in Calumet, my home inspector caught it on home inspection before buying last year, its called blistering, also nails are starting to back out.
THE VILLAGES POA HAS A REPORT ON IT, GOOGLE THE VILLAGES POA ROOFING PROBLEMS

Sparky-30 04-11-2011 02:19 PM

OC just replaced my roof in Calumet, my home inspector caught it on home inspection before buying last year, its called blistering, also nails are starting to back out.
THE VILLAGES POA HAS A REPORT ON IT, GOOGLE THE VILLAGES POA shingle problem
When replacing, they will put the exact roof you have on your home for no cost, sometimes the roofer will put an architecture type style for approx $800 if you so wish.

rubicon 04-11-2011 06:00 PM

Roof problems

I called 1-800 Roofing. they sent me a package. i completed it and attahced a copy of my deed and mailed it back. I was told they would notify me. I had problems with a roof while livin in MN. It was termed spidering. The roofing mdg threw me fits until I sued them and then thye paid the claim I hope I don't have to go through that again...Think i will have my house inspected again

HMLRHT1 04-12-2011 12:30 AM

We called Home warranty this morning and they told us that our shingles are the ones that have caused the problem for Owens-Corning. We then called the 1-800-roofing number. Gave them the info and they are sending us a form via e-mail to fill out and send back in. They will then set up an appointment to have one of their inspectors come out. But we are also having our own roofing inspector check it out also. From what I have read on VHA.net they have left the claim period for all until 12/31/11. But there is still a 25 year warranty on the shingles besides. Thanks all for your help. I think that Home Warranty should send a notice out to all owners that have had their house built from 2005 through 2007. Owens-Corning says through 2006 but the builder here must have bought a huge stock of shingles and therefore it should be through 2007. Our house was completed in May 2007.

canadianchick 04-13-2011 11:38 PM

Were you able to open the attachment they sent I could see it but not print it did you have the same problem?

HMLRHT1 04-14-2011 12:21 AM

I had no problem printing the form. I use Microsoft Word. Initially an error message came up stating the margins were outside the borders but I just had it print anyway. If you have Microsoft Works it may not print.