Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Roundabout safety (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/roundabout-safety-37735/)

sgvegas 04-11-2011 03:50 PM

Roundabout safety

Most vehicle accidents in TV occur in the roundabout in front of the Savannah center. Vehicles traveling South in the right lane, cross the left lane to go on to the Savannah, or Camino Real causing collisions with vehicles travelling South in the left lane. The only way to avoid this is to do what was done in my previous city that had the same problem. Build a concrete barrier that would prevent vehicles from turning into the left lane. If someone gets stuck in the left lane because of the barrier, they just have to continue South on Buena Vista until they can make a u turn.
:BigApplause:

l2ridehd 04-11-2011 05:10 PM

Roundabout rules are so very simple. If folks follow them there should never be an accident. There are only 4 and they work.

1. The car in the circle ALWAYS has the right of way. No matter which lane they are in, you do not enter until they are by you.
2. If going 90 degrees enter from the right lane and exit from the right lane.
3. If going 180 degrees enter from either lane and exit from the lane you entered. Enter right, exit right, enter left, exit left.
4. If going 270 degrees always enter from the left lane and exit from the left lane.

If everyone follows those rules there would be no accidents. There are a couple places where they remove the inside lane and force you into the right lane, but if rule 1 is followed that is not an issue either.

Bill-n-Brillo 04-11-2011 05:30 PM

My primary premise: Never travel in a roundabout beside another vehicle. No crashes that way due to someone crossing another vehicle's path.

Bill

rubicon 04-11-2011 05:41 PM

Golf Cart Safety

I use my blinker when entering and exiting a round-about because there is a % of people who have never used one or will never learn how to use one

Mikeod 04-11-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 346054)
Roundabout rules are so very simple. If folks follow them there should never be an accident. There are only 4 and they work.

1. The car in the circle ALWAYS has the right of way. No matter which lane they are in, you do not enter until they are by you.
2. If going 90 degrees enter from the right lane and exit from the right lane.
3. If going 180 degrees enter from either lane and exit from the lane you entered. Enter right, exit right, enter left, exit left.
4. If going 270 degrees always enter from the left lane and exit from the left lane.

If everyone follows those rules there would be no accidents. There are a couple places where they remove the inside lane and force you into the right lane, but if rule 1 is followed that is not an issue either.

Exactly! You should consider the roundabout just like a normal intersection. If you were making a left turn, you wouldn't do it from the right lane (unless you were from some of the cities I have visited!!!). If you were making a right turn, you wouldn't do it from the left lane. If you're going straight through the intersection, you could do it from either lane. This works no matter which road you approach the roundabout on.

The only tricky part is when exiting the roundabout after going 270 degrees around and entering a gate. My habit is to enter the left lane from the roundabout inside lane and then merge to the right to use the resident lane. If someone block me from merging, I just use the visitor lane. No big deal.

But use your turn signals when exiting the roundabout just to eliminate confusion.
:thumbup:

golfnut 04-11-2011 06:19 PM

Why is the title of this thread Golf Cart Safety?...........gn

Bogie Shooter 04-11-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgvegas (Post 346028)
Most vehicle accidents in TV occur in the roundabout in front of the Savannah center. Vehicles traveling South in the right lane, cross the left lane to go on to the Savannah, or Camino Real causing collisions with vehicles travelling South in the left lane. The only way to avoid this is to do what was done in my previous city that had the same problem. Build a concrete barrier that would prevent vehicles from turning into the left lane. If someone gets stuck in the left lane because of the barrier, they just have to continue South on Buena Vista until they can make a u turn.
:BigApplause:

Are there stats to back up this statement?

Bryan 04-12-2011 04:46 AM

Two points:

First, unless it is a 'street legal' golf cart, it has no business in a roundabout - stay off the roads and on the multinodal trails.

Second, the 'accidents' mentioned in the original post do not occur on roundabouts. They happen about 100 feet past the roundabout when a car in the right lane tries to make a left turn into the Savahhah Center.

trichard 04-12-2011 08:55 AM

I don't get it. The rules are so simple to understand. Yet, I see as a regular occurrence drivers entering the circle from the right lane cross into the left hand lane of the circle and then back to the right lane to exit the roundabout when they are going 180 degrees straight through.

Mikitv 04-12-2011 05:12 PM

So what do you do when you have a driver coming at you in the round about, meaning he is going the wrong way. Happened to us the other day at Calumet Round About. Luckily we were in right side of lane and he was coming at us in the left lane. He just kept going and luckily hit no one.

Bill-n-Brillo 04-12-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikitv (Post 346315)
So what do you do when you have a driver coming at you in the round about, meaning he is going the wrong way. Happened to us the other day at Calumet Round About. Luckily we were in right side of lane and he was coming at us in the left lane. He just kept going and luckily hit no one.

Get the license plate and have "The Three Ladies" track 'em down..........:shocked:

Bill :)

TamLeigh 04-12-2011 06:57 PM

Other roundabout rules

Cars should also not change lanes in the roundabouts. And they should stay in one lane or the other. Also, too many people cross the line while driving in the roundabouts, nearly hitting cars next to them. This especially happens coming down Morse towards Sumter Landing when cars are in both lanes. And yes, you can go through either gate. One doesn't have to enter the resident gate....so there is no need to change from the left lane right before the gate. Here is a link I found on this site right after we moved here and it was quite helpful.

Much like the villages brochure on roundabouts:
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/safety/roundabouts/

Video on driving roundabouts:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MywmtskFiiI[/ame]

Pturner 04-12-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 346318)
Get the license plate and have "The Three Ladies" track 'em down..........:shocked:

Tee hee.

Kudos to those who said to use your blinker! In all the times we've been to TV, I think I've personally witnessed only one person use a blinker to exit a roundabout. That person is ME.

What's up with so many people not using a turn signal to make a turn?? I don't get it.

graciegirl 04-12-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 346358)
Tee hee.

Kudos to those who said to use your blinker! In all the times we've been to TV, I think I've personally witnessed only one person use a blinker to exit a roundabout. That person is ME.

What's up with so many people not using a turn signal to make a turn?? I don't get it.

I do P.

Bill-n-Brillo 04-12-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 346358)
Tee hee.

We do as well....always.