Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   Kindle Question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/kindle-question-37775/)

JenAjd 04-13-2011 06:51 AM

Kindle Question
 
We are still considering purchasing a Kindle and have a few questions yet.

1. Is it better to purchase locally from a source like Target or better from Amazon and why?

2. The $139.00 model can only download the books from home and if you get the $189.00 model you may download them from anywhere??

3. Can library books be downloaded?

We've seen the pro's and con's of this technology (also Kindle vs. Nook)
My question would be "if" we reversed our decision and decided on the Nook...what of the possibility of B&N going out of business (heaven forbid) like we've seen with so many? Just some thoughts here!

Anxiously awaiting comments as today or tomorrow could be the day to make the purchase!!!

l2ridehd 04-13-2011 07:16 AM

I have had the kindle for a few years now. The $139 version. Being able to download from only a wifi location is not an issue as you can download several books at one time. When I turn on the wireless connection and download, I usually add 5 to 10 books. Then I turn wireless off as battery life goes way up. I go for weeks between charging if I leave wireless off. We went on a vacation to BVI this February and I read a lot, and I didn't even bother to take the charger with me.

As to where to buy? I got mine from Amazon but not sure it really matters. My wife also has a kindle and we each have an Ipad so all 4 are registered on a single account and have access to all the purchased books.

And if the library has e-books, yes you can download them. However with so many free books and the low cost of new books on Amazon with the ability to share, have not yet needed to use the library.

As to B&N viability long term? Hardcover books will never go away, but the demand will sure be less. So kindle vs nook, not sure it matters a lot other then whats available. Tough to beat the selection and pricing at Amazon though. So far I have never found a book I wanted not available. I am sure I will, but not yet and I read a lot.

KayakerNC 04-13-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenAjd (Post 346432)

1. Is it better to purchase locally from a source like Target or better from Amazon and why?
I'd say Amazon, mainly because it is cheaper (no sales tax). You still get Amazon's Kindle Customer Service (the best) no matter where you purchase the Kindle.

2. The $139.00 model can only download the books from home and if you get the $189.00 model you may download them from anywhere??
With the $139 model (Wi-fi only) books can be downloaded from ANY wi-fi hot spot. The $189 model (Wi-fi and 3G) uses the AT&T 3G network when wi-fi is not available.

3. Can library books be downloaded?
Most libraries are using PDF and epub books that are DRM protected. So...no, not readable on a Kindle. But then again, not all libraries have ebooks to loan (mine doesn't) so it isn't really a deal breaker.

Anxiously awaiting comments as today or tomorrow could be the day to make the purchase!!!

:read:I would suggest you take a look at the $114 Kindle 3 at the Amazon Kindle page. Wi-Fi only, but a GREAT price.

Avista 04-13-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenAjd (Post 346432)
We are still considering purchasing a Kindle and have a few questions yet.

1. Is it better to purchase locally from a source like Target or better from Amazon and why? If you purchase a Nook from Barnes and Noble locally they are there to answer any questions and have classes in the store

2. The $139.00 model can only download the books from home and if you get the $189.00 model you may download them from anywhere?? With both Nook and Kindle with the wifi model you can download wherever there is wifi. With the more expensive versions you can download wherever you are in range of 3G.

3. Can library books be downloaded? As far as the Nook goes, personally I got a library card from the Philaelphia Free Library and have borrowed quite a few books from there. You really don't need a library nearby. Sometimes there is a wait list, but they contact me by email when my book is ready to download.

We've seen the pro's and con's of this technology (also Kindle vs. Nook)
My question would be "if" we reversed our decision and decided on the Nook...what of the possibility of B&N going out of business (heaven forbid) like we've seen with so many? Just some thoughts here! I doubt whether the Barnes and Noble ebooks would go out of business even if they sold their store--which I think they are just closing some. With the Nook you can buy your books anywhere. I usually do price compare.

Anxiously awaiting comments as today or tomorrow could be the day to make the purchase!!!

That being said, I broke my Nook (car rolled over it). Still have my husbands to use and currently I am using my iPad which I love. Here is a good deal on the Nook just for today.
http://www.woot.com/

PR1234 04-13-2011 11:26 AM

"1. Is it better to purchase locally from a source like Target or better from Amazon and why?"

JENAJD, Thanks for posting this question .....I have been trying to decide on where to buy a Kindle for months! Would LOVE for someone to give some words of wisdom:clap2:

14thMed 04-13-2011 11:56 AM

kindle
 
There is an article in PC World that many people think kindles will be FREE by November. Don't know how to post the link,but you can google it. I found it easily.

natickdan 04-13-2011 05:49 PM

My wife and I each own a Kindle which we purchased both from Amazon and we absolutely love them! Mine is a 3G and my wife's is wi-fi version. Which one you'll need is a personal decision and I suggest that you put some thought in to your decision. If you don't travel often or are usually near a wi-fi connection, I suggest saving some money and purchase a wi-fi Kindle.

I'm a very big fan of Amazon because of their prices, customer service, return policy, free shipping and you are not charged a state sales tax.

On a closing note, a number of devices like smartphones, laptops and tablets offer e-reading capability and, IMHO, although some do it better than others, none provide the clarity of the Kindle because of their ink technology.

Good luck and happy reading!

ladydoc 04-13-2011 06:00 PM

I saw this morning on Amazon that the $139 model is available for $114. The catch is that there will be ads on it when you power it up and maybe at other times. I would not mind an ad at that price. I just read in Woman's Day, (I think...I read so many magazines sometimes I can not keep them straight) that Kindle was the #1 choice in ebooks. Hubby and I bought have one. I have the small one..he has the large one and we both love them. I just read the last of the Earth's Children books (Clan of the Cave Bear series) in hard cover and I kept complaining how heavy it was. LOL, Lord, we get spoiled. By the way, it is a terrible book and a very sad way to end a wonderful reading experience. Just get your Kindle quick and have fun with it and don't forget that it reads to you if the book is so enabled.

JenAjd 04-13-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladydoc (Post 346556)
I saw this morning on Amazon that the $139 model is available for $114. The catch is that there will be ads on it when you power it up and maybe at other times. I would not mind an ad at that price. I just read in Woman's Day, (I think...I read so many magazines sometimes I can not keep them straight) that Kindle was the #1 choice in ebooks. Hubby and I bought have one. I have the small one..he has the large one and we both love them. I just read the last of the Earth's Children books (Clan of the Cave Bear series) in hard cover and I kept complaining how heavy it was. LOL, Lord, we get spoiled. By the way, it is a terrible book and a very sad way to end a wonderful reading experience. Just get your Kindle quick and have fun with it and don't forget that it reads to you if the book is so enabled.

I saw that when I went to Amazon's site. I don't know, I wonder if the ads would keep popping up and be aggravating. The price sounds tantalizing but I'm still wondering. Maybe I should just go and pull the trigger and get the thing.

ladydoc 04-13-2011 10:49 PM

Definitely pull the trigger. You won't regret it for a second. Its like a miracle to get a book out of the air in less then a minute. Book prices are weird though..some are significantly less, some are about the same. All in all though, I much prefer the Kindle. Just think of all the space you will save when your books are all on a little tablet. I have a generation 2 that holds 1500 books. The new ones hold 3500. They are getting so inexpensive now that if I should run out of room, I will get a new one. I delete a lot of them when I am done reading them, but you can always reload them again from your manage your kindle site. Go for it...the only regret you will have is not buying it sooner.

JenAjd 04-14-2011 09:30 AM

It's done!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladydoc (Post 346636)
Definitely pull the trigger. You won't regret it for a second. Its like a miracle to get a book out of the air in less then a minute. Book prices are weird though..some are significantly less, some are about the same. All in all though, I much prefer the Kindle. Just think of all the space you will save when your books are all on a little tablet. I have a generation 2 that holds 1500 books. The new ones hold 3500. They are getting so inexpensive now that if I should run out of room, I will get a new one. I delete a lot of them when I am done reading them, but you can always reload them again from your manage your kindle site. Go for it...the only regret you will have is not buying it sooner.


Pulled the trigger last night and will be good to go very soon! Cannot wait as it will also be great for traveling (no hauling heavy books and mags in a tote) and as you say...saves on space in the house too!! Thanks everyone for your imput here! It was helpful!! :BigApplause:

KayakerNC 04-14-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenAjd (Post 346689)
Pulled the trigger last night and will be good to go very soon! Cannot wait as it will also be great for traveling (no hauling heavy books and mags in a tote) and as you say...saves on space in the house too!! Thanks everyone for your imput here! It was helpful!! :BigApplause:

Which one did you finally settle on?
You realize that you now have choices to make on accessories such as covers, book lights, and maybe even a skin.
It's an adventure.:clap2:

Pturner 04-14-2011 08:33 PM

Hi Jen,
Tell us what you bought and how you like it. Happy reading.

:beer3:

natickdan 04-14-2011 08:56 PM

Enjoy your new toy and happy reading!

JenAjd 04-14-2011 08:57 PM

We got the $189.00 one. It'll be an exciting day when either the delivery is made!!! I'll let you know once it's here and how it's going with the ownership!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.32 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.