Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Golf Cart Public Hearing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-cart-public-hearing-37784/)

Hawkwind 04-13-2011 10:29 AM

Golf Cart Public Hearing

Reading very meeting agenda from the April 12 Sumter County Commissioners meeting I see that a public hearing is to be held on April 26, 2011 at 5:00 pm at Colony Cottage dealing with golf carts within a defined retirement community. From what I read they want to make some changes in the wording of a few ordnances as they pertain to current laws. The one that I see that may be of interest is naming of roads that are included or not included in the area defined as a self contained retirement community. Maybe they are planning to put in writing just what roadways (Rolling Acers for example) can and cannot have cart traffic.

Go to the Sumter County Commissioners web site http://sumtercountyfl.gov/AgendaModu...161/Agenda.pdf and down load the complete PDF file but just to let you know it is 552 pages long but lets you what is going on in the county. Save it to your hard drive and read it off line as it is faster to get through.

References to the golf cart hearing start on page 83.

Also interesting is the attachments regarding a study on placing a traffic light at the intersection of Buena Vista and Talley Ridge Drive. The findings are that a signal is not warranted at this time. What is really interesting is the detail they went throught in this study. This starts on page 453.

Bill-n-Brillo 04-13-2011 11:31 AM

You're the man, hawk! Thanks for the info -

Bill :wave:

BOMBERO 04-13-2011 01:50 PM

I'm thinking....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkwind (Post 346477)
Maybe they are planning to put in writing just what roadways (Rolling Acers for example) can and cannot have cart traffic.

Lake Co. won't let Sumter Co. call the shots on THEIR road. Maybe I'm

wrong and the guys from Ohio are correct. If so... as another famous

person from Ohio would say - " I'm sorry."

Hawkwind 04-13-2011 03:05 PM

You are correct in that Rolling Acres is located in Lake county and it was the first road that came to mind. Maybe I should have used CR-101 as an example.

BigLew 04-13-2011 04:20 PM

acres

Rolling Acres

Pturner 04-13-2011 06:14 PM

Hi Hawkwind,

Excellent information. Thank you so much!

If I understand it correctly, under current Sumter County rules, golf carts may operate only on county roads specifically designated for golf cart usage. The proposed changes would enable the county to give blanket authorization for golf cart traffic on all roads within a "Self Contained Retirement Community" unless certain roads are specifically prohibited.

A retirement community wanting to operate under the proposed new rules would have to petition the county for designation as a "Self Contained Retirement Community".

Do I have this right? If so, I think TVers should welcome the change.

Hawkwind 04-13-2011 07:29 PM

Yes, I think you have it correct. It seems to be as you said they can even blanket an entire area and then just exclude what they want or don't want.

In that same PDF file I found where they also want to allow golf cart traffic in a portion of Wildwood. It includes photos that cover the area.

I was also wondering if this change had anything to do with getting golf cart access to the new service building and library on 466a.

Boudicca 04-13-2011 08:07 PM

Hawkwind

Golf cart access to the library on 466a would be a wonderful thing. I only drive a cart :(

Bill-n-Brillo 04-13-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkwind (Post 346577)
.......In that same PDF file I found where they also want to allow golf cart traffic in a portion of Wildwood. It includes photos that cover the area......

This starts on p. 302 of the pdf.

Bill :)

aaffmom 04-13-2011 08:13 PM

Will be interesting to see how they define self contained community since all the roads are open to the pubic.

golfnut 04-13-2011 08:39 PM

Bill-n-Brillo 04-13-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfnut (Post 346603)
just how do you install a traffic light in a roundabout....gn

A traffic light would defeat the purpose of having the roundabout in the first place! :thumbup:

Bill

Bogie Shooter 04-14-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrandell (Post 346587)
Golf cart access to the library on 466a would be a wonderful thing. I only drive a cart :(

This is going to happen.....be patient.

Whalen 04-14-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 346607)
A traffic light would defeat the purpose of having the roundabout in the first place! :thumbup:

Bill

I believe the area in question, Tally Ridge & Buena Vista does not have a roundabout, it is an intersection.

Bill-n-Brillo 04-14-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whalen (Post 346673)
I believe the area in question, Tally Ridge & Buena Vista does not have a roundabout, it is an intersection.

Please double check my post - it was simply an additional post to what was quoted there from golfnut. Sorry - - -

Bill :)