Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   I want to move to The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/i-want-move-villages-37840/)

village_gal 04-15-2011 11:00 AM

I want to move to The Villages

Someday I hope to move to The Villages, yet I have never visited. I have heard so many good things about The Villages and looked at websites. It would be exactly where I would want to live. I would be moving there single and with out any family near by. Plus, I would not know anyone in The Villages. Maybe it's not a good idea to move single with out family close enough to help you. Perhaps, I'll never make it to The Villages afterall. :cry:

Pturner 04-15-2011 11:07 AM

Hi Village_gal,

:welcome: to TOTV. You have come to the right place to get your questions answered. A great first step would be to visit The Villages (TV) on a lifestyle preview offered trough TV sales office. If you are outgoing at all, probably one of the first things you will notice is how easy it is to meet people here. Go to the squares and strike up a conversation.

I don't know your situation, but can tell you that there are many singles in TV and there are clubs for singles. If TV seems like the place of your dreams, I wouldn't rule it out without at least a visit.

Come on down, ok?

village_gal 04-15-2011 11:14 AM

Pturner, I do plan on visiting The Villages someday. At the present time I am married, but my husband is not in good health. Perhaps it is wrong to think about my future plans at this time. I dare to mention a move, my husband would not hear of it. In his condition it is out of the question. All I know is I don't want to stop living when I become single. The Village looks like a dream in the future, one I'm sure my family would not agree on. Thanks for your post.

graciegirl 04-15-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by village_gal (Post 346938)
Someday I hope to move to The Villages, yet I have never visited. I have heard so many good things about The Villages and looked at websites. It would be exactly where I would want to live. I would be moving there single and with out any family near by. Plus, I would not know anyone in The Villages. Maybe it's not a good idea to move single with out family close enough to help you. Perhaps, I'll never make it to The Villages afterall. :cry:

NOW then, don't cry village gal. You already have the right name for your new home.

Are you almost of an age? That would be old enough to know better but too young to resist...or something along those lines. There are the best and nicest people who live here, all quite friendly and some are single and some are double.

Just follow PTurners advice and arrange a visit. If you wait until July we will be there and can offer a personal welcome, but everywhere are friendly people who will soon be your friends.

Welcome to you. I hope your dream comes true!!:welcome::welcome::welcome:

village_gal 04-15-2011 12:17 PM

Awww, thank you Gracie Girl, what a sweet post. I loved your comment, "Are you almost of an age? That would be old enough to know better but too young to resist...or something along those lines." I picked my name with the intentions of being a Village Gal someday....time will tell.

July is my brithday and a busy month, but what a nice way to celebrate. Thanks so much for the welcome.

BTW - Is it ok if I am a member of the forum without knowing if I will ever make it to TV?

Have a beautiful weekend.

2BNTV 04-15-2011 12:36 PM

Village Gal:

:welcome: to TOTV. Anyone can be a member of this forum as I am a wannabee myself hoping to go to a goneabee until that day I am a permanet villager.

You already have two of the nicest people as friends with Gracie and Pturner.

Will your husband at least consider going on a vaction to TV? He may fall in love with it as I know I was blown away the first time I visited. I hope his health will allow a visit.

I understand your concern about moving away from family as I have done this myself several times. The people in TV are so friendly that if one makes the slightest effort, they will have many friends.

Please make a visit so you can make an informed decision when the time may be right for you.

I think I just repeated what Pturner and gracie said.

Barefoot 04-15-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Keep the faith, Village Gal, and some day your dreams will come true. This is a great place to live, whether single or a couple.

runnermi 04-15-2011 01:15 PM

Some day....

Village_Gal,

We are in similiar situations. I am not in the Villages either but stuck for the time being. I am definitely a wannabee/gonnabee. I got to visit briefly last spring for maybe half an afternoon. That was such a tease for me. I am afraid that if I came down for a lifestyle visit, I would never leave.

Like you, even before I ever stepped foot in the Villages, I knew that the Villages is where I want to be at the first opportunity. I am single but currently stuck as I have an elderly mother that would have a complete meltdown if I tried to move her.

I go online and look at real estate every day. I cannot swing two mortgages but I dream and dream and dream. Sigh. Some day.

I can take my job with me so if I can get down to the Villages before I can retire, I still have means to make a living.

In the meantime, I hang out online reading all about life in Villages.

nussbaum 04-15-2011 01:57 PM

My husband and I moved down less than 2 yrs ago knowing his health was an issue. But he wanted to be in TV, so we sold our Indiana home quickly and came down. He passed away in Feb, and I am so thankful we were able to be here for his last year +. All of my family is back north and I still chose to stay here rather than put up with winter and do nothing but babysit. It is time to enjoy life! I love it here and whether it is neighbors or people you meet at activities, they are truly great people that have become wonderful friends. They look out for me like I am their family. I am relatively shy until I get to know you, but I have great friends in TV. Don't even hesitate! Come on down.

JUREK 04-15-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nussbaum (Post 346984)
My husband and I moved down less than 2 yrs ago knowing his health was an issue. But he wanted to be in TV, so we sold our Indiana home quickly and came down. He passed away in Feb, and I am so thankful we were able to be here for his last year +. All of my family is back north and I still chose to stay here rather than put up with winter and do nothing but babysit. It is time to enjoy life! I love it here and whether it is neighbors or people you meet at activities, they are truly great people that have become wonderful friends. They look out for me like I am their family. I am relatively shy until I get to know you, but I have great friends in TV. Don't even hesitate! Come on down.

Sorry about your husband passing away. I must agree it would be almost impossible to find a location like The Villages to meet so many new friends . Half of my neighbors are from Midwest and I get along just wonderful with all of them.

village_gal 04-15-2011 03:08 PM

So many nice posts and so many wannabee/gonnabee's, I'm glad I'm not alone. I might find a way to get my husband to visit TV, but unfortunately not to move. One day I won't be a wannabee, I'm gonnabee!

Nice to meet all of you and thanks for addressing my forum post. Also sorry to hear of your husband's passing, nussbaum. Thank God for friends.

momesu 04-15-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Village gal, I hear and understand your concerns about moving single and with no family nearby. It is scary. I visited TV in January of this year and was sure I was not going to like it. HaHa...I had been there for less than two hours and I was "in love". My husband walked out on me 18 months and I need to move on to a new life in a new location. I hope that new location will be TV. I hope it will be sooner rather than later, but I'm not sure yet how to make the timing all work out. Starting over again at "that age" and the thought of buying a house on my own scares the daylights out
of me. But I will do it!

Pturner 04-15-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momesu (Post 347046)
Village gal, I hear and understand your concerns about moving single and with no family nearby. It is scary. I visited TV in January of this year and was sure I was not going to like it. HaHa...I had been there for less than two hours and I was "in love". My husband walked out on me 18 months and I need to move on to a new life in a new location. I hope that new location will be TV. I hope it will be sooner rather than later, but I'm not sure yet how to make the timing all work out. Starting over again at "that age" and the thought of buying a house on my own scares the daylights out
of me. But I will do it!

Hi Momesu,

Welcome to TOTV!

I'm sorry to read of your sad experience. It can be hard and scary to strike out on our own-- but it can turn out so rewarding if we have goals to strive for, a vision of our life moving forward and a little courage.

I wish you the courage to make your dreams come true.

Hugs,
Pturner

Schaumburger 04-15-2011 09:44 PM

Kind of in the same boat

Hello Village Gal and Momesu.

:welcome: I am kind of in the same boat as both of you. I am single and would move to TV tomorrow full time if I didn't have to work for a several more years :(. I have lived in the Midwest all of my life -- born in Iowa, then moved to the Chicago area in 1979. My family is scattered -- one sister in Wisconsin, one sister near Cincinnati, and my dad is still in Iowa. So the thought of moving to TV without any immediate family is not a huge concern for me, as I have been 150 miles or more from family for many years. Village Gal and Momesu, I would recommend that you try a Lifestyle Preview Visit. I'm saving my Lifestyle Preview Visit for a year or two only because I believe that potential owners are limited in how many Lifestyle Preview Visits can be taken as I believe some people have used them as cheap vacations and don't plan on buying in TV. I will be renting a patio villa in the Village of Chatham for a week this July, and then I would also like to rent in a different village for a week in October. I would love to come down and rent for 2 weeks or 3 weeks (don't know how that would go over with my fairly new manager), but I'm afraid I would never go back to work after that. And I would love to rent for a week or two in the winter, but that is high season and short term rentals (2 weeks) don't seem to exist in TV from January through March. :cry:

Becoming a full time TV resident (a frog) does seem far away for me, but every day that passes hopefully is bringing me closer to the time when I can move to TV and leave my snow shovel and winter boots behind.

Good luck to both of you.
Laura

ladydoc 04-15-2011 09:57 PM

Momesu-remember...living well is the best revenge. Forget the past if you can, look to the future and what can be, not what was. You can make a wonderful life for yourself. I wish you all the best and hope some day you can live here.