Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Does Everyone doing landscaping get approval from Architectual Review? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/does-everyone-doing-landscaping-get-approval-architectual-review-37870/)

Sherman931 04-16-2011 09:20 AM

Does Everyone doing landscaping get approval from Architectual Review?

I went through the deed restrictions, etc. It is my undertanding that if you want to do changes to your property (i.e. landscaping, paint your driveway, etc.) you must get approval from AR (Architectural Review). Lots of my neighbors and others I see as I drive around are having landscaping done. Some big projects and some small. I find it hard to beleive everyone is submitting palns to AR. I had my driveway painted and didn't get AR approval. Certainly, if I was having a major project done on my property I would seek approval. But to put in some additional plants and bushes probably not. Whatever I did I would be careful not to offend my neighbors as they might "turn me in". Does anyone know what the real deal is?

memason 04-16-2011 09:24 AM

I have a big landscaping project going and we did get AR approval before starting. My landscaper took care of submitting the paperwork and plans...

JohnN 04-16-2011 09:30 AM

We did a major relandscaping and did get AR approval, it's the rule and seemed the right thing to do.
Many folks don't.

My understanding is you don't need it to plant a couple/few flowers or bushes.

Halle 04-16-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnN (Post 347170)
We did a major relandscaping and did get AR approval, it's the rule and seemed the right thing to do.
Many folks don't.

:agree:

We have always submitted the form to AR for landscaping and other projects we have done that according to the covenants require approval. It is a very easy and quick process and we feel more comfortable having the form showing the work has been approved.

LI SNOWBIRD 04-16-2011 09:45 AM

Landscaping

Quote:

Many folks don't.

we also went through AR review but did ourselves but used a landscaper. An inconvenience, but worth it.:clap2:

Sherman931 04-16-2011 11:42 AM

Thanks to all those who replied so far. Just wondering where the cut-off is for "just a few bushes to a major job? Seems there may be somewhat of a gray area??

Bill-n-Brillo 04-16-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Many folks don't.

This is my understanding as well. We asked this question of one of the TV folks who was at the "New Resident Welcome" session (or whatever it's properly called) that we attended a few months back. "If you're making any significant changes to your landscaping...." was pretty much the way the fellow prefaced the statement about needing to go through the Architectural Review process.

HOWEVER.....(there's always that! :) ), per the VCDD web site, "any and all" changes have to go through the review process:

http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...rchreview.aspx

So it's pretty much "pick your poison", it seems!

Bill

Army Guy 04-16-2011 02:51 PM

Yes, you are suppose to and our landerscaper did it for us. BUT I have seen a lot not do it as long as it went with the flow of the rest of the street or area. Then I have seen others who have gone total chaos on their planting etc and nothing is done by CW who is suppose to be looking for these things. As I said before on here I live in a CYV, and my neighbor has 14, yes 14 magnolia trees planted in just the front yard, no approval, and CW looks the other way.......and guess which way all those leaves blow??

Army Guy

Bill-n-Brillo 04-16-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Army Guy (Post 347265)
.......and guess which way all those leaves blow??

Maybe the best defense for you would be....................a good leaf blower! :)

Bill

Sherman931 04-16-2011 03:30 PM

I agree with your view Army Guy. Most landscapes I see are pretty well defined and match the home and neighbor hood. But it is not unusual to see something that resembles a wild jungle out of control.

Bogie Shooter 04-16-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherman931 (Post 347275)
I agree with your view Army Guy. Most landscapes I see are pretty well defined and match the home and neighbor hood. But it is not unusual to see something that resembles a wild jungle out of control.

If you see a wild jungle out of control.....call deed compliance.

batman911 04-16-2011 05:31 PM

One persons jungle is another persons Garden of Eden. That's why there must be rules and reviews.

goodgrief 08-30-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Army Guy (Post 347265)
Yes, you are suppose to and our landerscaper did it for us. BUT I have seen a lot not do it as long as it went with the flow of the rest of the street or area. Then I have seen others who have gone total chaos on their planting etc and nothing is done by CW who is suppose to be looking for these things. As I said before on here I live in a CYV, and my neighbor has 14, yes 14 magnolia trees planted in just the front yard, no approval, and CW looks the other way.......and guess which way all those leaves blow??

Army Guy

And the leaf blower blows them right back ;)

I'm just curious after reading this...has anyone ever been told to remove something they did?? Just curious because it does seem they do seem to ignore things..hence the 14 magnolia trees :)

goodgrief 08-30-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batman911 (Post 347298)
One persons jungle is another persons Garden of Eden. That's why there must be rules and reviews.

Yeah I saw some junglescaping going on in the neighborhood...was thinking boy they couldn't have got approval for that!! LOL.

Bogie Shooter 08-30-2012 12:23 PM

Sorry did not notice this was such an old thread.