Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Bonifay Golf Course (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/bonifay-golf-course-37900/)

spk7951 04-17-2011 10:40 AM

Bonifay Golf Course

Went for a ride along the 466A cart path today to check out progress on the Bonifay Golf Course. The sand traps along 466A now have white sand in them and turf has been placed around the traps. Tee boxes have turf around them and it appears that the tee boxes themselves have been seeded. The fairways look to have been smoothed out and possibly also new seed applied. There had been some washout damage from the recent heavy rains but that has all been fixed. And not to be forgotten what apparently is a TV tradition on the golf courses is that we even spotted a gator in the pond at the southwest corner of Morse and 466A.

Shimpy 04-17-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spk7951 (Post 347448)
Went for a ride along the 466A cart path today to check out progress on the Bonifay Golf Course. The sand traps along 466A now have white sand in them and turf has been placed around the traps. Tee boxes have turf around them and it appears that the tee boxes themselves have been seeded. The fairways look to have been smoothed out and possibly also new seed applied. There had been some washout damage from the recent heavy rains but that has all been fixed. And not to be forgotten what apparently is a TV tradition on the golf courses is that we even spotted a gator in the pond at the southwest corner of Morse and 466A.

I didn't get down their today but saw a hugh column of smoke coming from that area. Did you happened to see what was burning? It was around 11:30 AM when I spotted it. I hope it was a controlled burn.

spk7951 04-17-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpy (Post 347503)
I didn't get down their today but saw a hugh column of smoke coming from that area. Did you happened to see what was burning? It was around 11:30 AM when I spotted it. I hope it was a controlled burn.

We were in the area around 9am and did not see anything burning at that time. We did see some smoke around 2pm but that appeared to be coming from east of Colony Plaza.

Shimpy 04-17-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spk7951 (Post 347506)
We were in the area around 9am and did not see anything burning at that time. We did see some smoke around 2pm but that appeared to be coming from west of Colony Plaza.

What I saw could have been west of Colony as I was watching it from Buena Vista Blvd. south of 466A. It was hugh but not black smoke. Several hours later it was still there, but diminished quite a bit.

Schaumburger 04-17-2011 05:39 PM

What village(s) will be closest to Bonifay?

Bosoxfan 04-17-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schaumburger (Post 347522)
What village(s) will be closest to Bonifay?

The closest will be Sanibel

Schaumburger 04-17-2011 07:15 PM

Bosoxfan,

Thanks for the information.

Pturner 04-17-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spk7951 (Post 347448)

Thanks for the update. Not being a frog, I love these reports on the progress!

spk7951 04-18-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpy (Post 347510)
What I saw could have been west of Colony as I was watching it from Buena Vista Blvd. south of 466A. It was hugh but not black smoke. Several hours later it was still there, but diminished quite a bit.

A little after noon Sunday I could not help but hear Engine 51 from The Villages FD heading east on 466A and when they went past Colony Plaza I figured that they may be going on a mutual aid call. Turns out there was a 30 to 40 acre field fire in Fruitland Park around noon and numerous Lake County fire units responded along with help from The Villages FD. It is possible that might be what you were seeing.

ricthemic 04-18-2011 09:25 PM

Bonifay?

When is it scheduled to open? Do they also have a restaurant? If so, will it be open when the course opens?

Mikeod 04-19-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthemic (Post 347758)
When is it scheduled to open? Do they also have a restaurant? If so, will it be open when the course opens?

It should be open this fall, about September/October. I don't know about the clubhouse and restaurant. I believe Havana opened using the cart barn as a temporary pro shop, but that was after the tornado damage at Mallory and they opened Havana early.

Shimpy 04-19-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spk7951 (Post 347634)
A little after noon Sunday I could not help but hear Engine 51 from The Villages FD heading east on 466A and when they went past Colony Plaza I figured that they may be going on a mutual aid call. Turns out there was a 30 to 40 acre field fire in Fruitland Park around noon and numerous Lake County fire units responded along with help from The Villages FD. It is possible that might be what you were seeing.

I'm sure that was it.

Indy-Guy 04-19-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthemic (Post 347758)

I see what looks like the resturant and pro shop well into construction at the location that I had seen on a map for the site of both. This structure is south of Roosevelt and you can see the two roofs for the proshop and the resturant with the flat roof between the two like all of the country clubs south of 466.

Havana resturant did not open for some time after the course opened as they had trouble finding someone to lease it. Palmer resturant opened a short time before the course opened. Palmer has always been owned and operated by The Villages. Palmer resturant was the first thing open south of 466.

Now the question I have is will The Villages own and operate then new Bonify resturant? My thoughts are that they will because the want that new area to start out strong and they did not want to operate Havana and it took them a while to find someone to lease it. They will not want the problems that Havana resturant has had the first year or so (or perhaps now) in that new area south of 466A. As the owner operator they have control over the quality and service of this new resturant. The Villages does not want to be in the resturant business but may feel they have to and get this area off to a good start.

I also had heard a rumor that The Villages were trying to lease Cane Garden resturant and not operate it themselves any more perhaps to free themselves up to run Bonifay.

These are just my thoughts.

chili557 04-21-2011 06:35 PM

Should be opening this Fall around October

TomW 04-21-2011 09:37 PM

I shot a 97 on Bonifay today. Lots of sand! Hope this improves. The pin locations were difficult to locate. :-)