Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   MD Anderson Cancer Center (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/md-anderson-cancer-center-37927/)

duffysmom 04-18-2011 10:11 AM

MD Anderson Cancer Center

Has anyone been to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston Texas?

graciegirl 04-18-2011 10:27 AM

I have not Duffy's Mom but if I thought I needed the best care, that is where I would go.

I don't like your question at all.

Hugs and prayers.

English Ivy 04-18-2011 10:29 AM

Not personally, but they saved the life of our adult nephew who, at one point, was given only 6 months to one year to live. He received a bone marrow transplant in 2003.

Carla B 04-18-2011 10:41 AM

We haven't had to use their services, fortunately, but we're from Houston and they are part of a huge medical center with several hospitals and thousands of employees. They are very well known and rated as one of the best, if not the best cancer treatment center in the U.S.

texasfal 04-18-2011 02:22 PM

My sister works for the UT police department that patrols the medical center and MD anderson Hospital. My husband was a police oficer there and spent a lot of time at MD Anderson working. Also, I went there when the docs suspected breast cancer. (Luckily they were wrong). Anyway, the BEST hospital in The World for cancer. I hope you don't need their services but if you do, you couldn't be in better hands.

Endless Summer 04-18-2011 05:03 PM

My daughters friend did. Excellent care. Wonderful results. It would certainly be my hospital of choice. Sending out prayers.

Whatever 04-19-2011 12:13 PM

Question

If you are treated at MD Anderson or Duke Univ. or Sloan Kettering etc., and return to the villages, would Moffitt offer follow up treatments of your condition?

Avista 04-19-2011 12:53 PM

Having been treated at Moffitt, I"m sure they would follow up on any of the other cancer centers. I just want to cheer on Moffitt. They are up there with the best of them.

scroll 04-19-2011 03:47 PM

Best there is. Just think Phil Mickelson took his wife and mother here for treatment. They could go anywhere in the world and they went here. Not Rochester Mayo, Duke, Moffitt, etc.

Avista 04-19-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scroll (Post 347952)
Best there is. Just think Phil Mickelson took his wife and mother here for treatment. They could go anywhere in the world and they went here. Not Rochester Mayo, Duke, Moffitt, etc.

These are all wonderful hospitals. Let's not degrade any of them.

duffysmom 04-24-2011 02:05 PM

Thank you for all the great information.:ho: MD Anderson will be my first choice.

spk7951 04-25-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffysmom (Post 349256)
Thank you for all the great information.:ho: MD Anderson will be my first choice.

Be sure to check on your insurance coverage before. When my wife was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2005 our insurance wanted her to go to Boston for treatment but her oncologist recommended Yale New Haven. She went to Yale, which was out of network and cost us a little out of pocket, but she/we were very pleased with the care at Yale and results. Strange thing is was that the price at Yale was actually less than at Boston.

duffysmom 04-25-2011 02:19 PM

Thanks spk for the head's up. We've already checked and we are OK regarding insurance. Interestingly enough, some of the best hospitals have very fair billing. Who knew??

citrusgirl 08-29-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffysmom (Post 349464)
Thanks spk for the head's up. We've already checked and we are OK regarding insurance. Interestingly enough, some of the best hospitals have very fair billing. Who knew??

I don't know if you are aware, but there is a 2nd M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Orlando on Orange Avenue. I was treated there is 2006 and have gone back continually for my five years of follow up after having breast cancer. They are wonderful without a doubt. They are affiliated with Orlando Health (same campus) and confer on every cancer case with the mother hospital in Texas. I found every doctor, nurse and other staff to be professional, knowledgeable, compassionate and all-around top-notch. The drive to the hospital is a pleasant quick drive. Consider it before you have to travel out of state. It is a terrific hospital-good luck!

LAshby50 02-16-2012 04:29 AM

We are making our first visit to MD Anderson next week in Orlando for testing and check up. Thyroid cancer in 2004 first treated in Minnesota, after surgery referred to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn for treatment for 5 years. Then decided to drive to Houston at MD Anderson for second opinions. Been there 3 times and very impressed with everything. So now preparing to make TV our permanent home had to make a decision. Decided to stay with MD Anderson to keep continuity and not drive to Houston. We will see what next week brings. Hope all is well.