Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Power Outage last night (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/power-outage-last-night-37991/)

JenAjd 04-20-2011 07:22 AM

Power Outage last night

We had a power outage last night (Amelia/Hadley) and wondered how many this affected. Didn't think we had any storms but do know it was lightening last evening! Any ideas on the cause of this? Does this happen very often here?

graciegirl 04-20-2011 07:25 AM

You know I believe that this is the first time I personally have heard of a power outage. I think because of underground wires. Of course we are birds.

Was the power out long? Wonder how widespread it was.

We had 60-70mph winds here in southern Ohio last night and tornado warnings all night. I thought I was home in TV. One thing we have here and not there is flood warnings.

ajbrown 04-20-2011 07:28 AM

We live just up the street in Mallory and had no power outage last night. The only power outage I can remember while I was here was when SECO was working on something in the area and had to shut down a block or two....

No idea what happened in Amelia last night...

Bob45 04-20-2011 07:33 AM

Our power was out in Hemingway for (I think) for about 1/2 hour. My CPAP stopped working and woke me up. Seems like it was pretty wide spread. If it was to make repairs we should be notified.

Bob

English Ivy 04-20-2011 07:45 AM

Our power in Bonita was out for just under one hour. We've lived here for over four years and I can recall maybe four or five outages in that time. Anywhere from a couple minutes to about three hours. Underground power lines help, but we can still have outages. Hurricane season is coming ... make sure you've got flashlights and batteries.

jblum315 04-20-2011 08:04 AM

Power outage in Hemingway, about 2 hours. Took me a moment to realize the outage - I thought my reading light had burned out.

dfn8tly 04-20-2011 08:46 AM

I live in Amelia and did not have a power failure. It sounds like the incident was pretty localized.

KathieI 04-20-2011 09:03 AM

Reporting from Hadley...... Had a power outage in So Had (below the golf course) for about 2 hours, spoke to friends in Amelia and he had an outage too. Friends in Bonita and Poinciana didn't have any outage. I called SECO, they said there was a problem at the main terminal near Lake Ella. Guess it was localized to small clusters of streets.

I've lived here 2 1/2 years, this is only the 2nd time I've had this. After the first time, I loaded up with rechargeable flashlights, candles and a very large rechargeable spot light, however you MUST remember to keep them plugged in.... :shocked: Duh!!!

aljetmet 04-20-2011 09:55 AM

Power outages

We live in Memphis TN area and there were major storms here again last night. Tornadoes reported. Lost Directv for a short time.
We've lost power the last two times in the past few weeks.
We have a generator. See no reason not to bring to TV. It's a bit noisy but it keeps the fridge, TV and internet going. We also have a portable AC unit that could run. So we are covered for all the necessaties of life....

Any ordinance or deed restriction to a generator in TV?

We'll be able to pack in neighbor's food as space allows....

RichieLion 04-20-2011 10:15 AM

Our power went out in Bonita for over an hour, maybe 2. Woke up to a brightly lit bedroom at 2AM and realized I never shut off the lights when I decided to just go to sleep and hope I had power in the morning. Would like to know what caused this outage.

KathieI 04-20-2011 10:26 AM

Richie, call SECO and ask them. The guy last night was very nice, and gave me some information, but unfortunately it was around 1:30am and I was not drinking clearly (oops I mean "thinking" clearly... hahaha) They may give you more information this morning. He said they had regained power in some parts of TV already and were working on resuming the rest. Sure enough, about 1/2 hour later, I got my lights.

graciegirl 04-20-2011 11:12 AM

Do you think it was off long enough that my emergency stash of ice cream drumsticks melted?

JenAjd 04-20-2011 03:21 PM

We're south and east of Amelia pool and the spouse says we were "out" for about 2 hours. So if you have a freezer "maybe" some things began to thaw but should refreeze when it came back on
!

k2at 04-20-2011 04:31 PM

No outage in Bonnybrook.

JenAjd 04-20-2011 07:24 PM

Heard it was out in Duval as well....haven't heard yet what caused it!