Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   5 or 6 inch gutters? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/5-6-inch-gutters-38049/)

buzzy 04-22-2011 08:32 AM

5 or 6 inch gutters?

Getting ready to order full gutters for a Jasmine 3. Favored contractors are MandM, Hills and A-Action. I have three quotes at fairly similar prices. Here is the catch; I wanted to relocate the downspout away from the front entrance door, and also have it drain underground to an emitter in the lawn. MandM suggested going up to a 6" gutter (for more capacity) and eliminating the front entrance downspout altogether, at the same cost.

That sounded like a good idea. I have been looking around, and hardly see any 6" gutters on homes. It does make the fascia look smoother, but I'm not sure that it compliments the appearance.

Has anybody gone through this decision?

villager912 04-22-2011 10:46 AM

gutters mandmservices

:BigApplause:6 inch is the way to go we did the same thing and it works perfect
mandm services did the job

buzzy 04-25-2011 08:10 AM

Thanks

MikeH 04-25-2011 02:15 PM

M & M did my gutters and also recommended 6". Glad I followed their recommendation. Eliminated front downspout and 6" is large enough to handle downpours we sometimes get. M & M did good job for us.

buzzy 05-09-2011 12:18 PM

Here is an update. I also chose M & M services. I liked working with Mike, and his price was a shade lower than the others. He gave me the option of 6" without a front downspout or 5" with the downspout relocated to the garage wall and a drain field in the lawn.

So I drove around The Villages, looking at homes with gutters. I only saw a couple of designer homes with 6" gutters. To me, it changed the look of the home, and masked the character line that is midway down on the fascia. So I decided on the 5" size.

The M & M installers were prompt and efficient. I am a satisfied customer.

jrcoder 05-27-2011 06:16 AM

I contacted M & M, Hills, Stipes, and A-Action for gutter quotes. The prices were all over the board ranging from $800 to $450 for 5" gutters with required downspouts. The truth be told, I was turned off by every one of them (except for one) for the way they tore into their competitors and the horrible things they said ranging from "the owner is a felon, "employees are ex-cons," "they use inferior products," "they're unlicensed and not insured," and "they will steal from your home." I am a retired contractor and after doing my due diligence on gutter materials, cost of materials, and labor costs; it was obvious the three contractors who did the bad mouthing, were also the ones who were attempting to rip me off.

villager912 07-19-2011 09:08 PM

gutters

after talking with my neighbor about gutters he told me about the bad mouthing stipes seamless gutters did about other companys. after doing his research he found that stipes has no lic or workmans comp on any of his employees someone told me state law says stipes must carry a lic and work comp is this true.when asked to show proof he couldnt.

The Villager II 07-20-2011 01:49 AM

5 inch. Better look and large enough to carry the water away

cappak 07-20-2011 08:14 AM

Gutters 5" or 6"

Can anyone tell me if you have any option with the size of gutters and location of downspouts on new construction?

I'm beginning construction in about a month and wanted to to know my options.

Can you have them omit the gutters during construction and contract with another vendor to have the work done after closing?

seashorecaroline 07-20-2011 02:47 PM

I had 5 inch gutters put on my courtyard villa by M and M and was very satisfied with the installation and price. I would highly recommend them.

batman911 07-20-2011 03:18 PM

Cappak,

I believe new homes only have gutters at the entrances.

downeaster 07-20-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappak (Post 372635)
Can anyone tell me if you have any option with the size of gutters and location of downspouts on new construction?

I'm beginning construction in about a month and wanted to to know my options.

Can you have them omit the gutters during construction and contract with another vendor to have the work done after closing?

There may or may not be a choice. If you have a choice you may want to wait until after you close. Some after market upgrades are less expensive.