Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Solar tubes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/solar-tubes-38098/)

Tom Hannon 04-24-2011 07:42 AM

Solar tubes

We have an Iris in Buttonwood. Because the lanai is an extension of the living room area, the living room doesn't get much sunlight. Yes, this can be a good thing. Less furniture fade from sun, cooler temps etc. But we would like to have the room a little more sunny. It appears solar tubes are the way to go. Does anyone have solar tubes in living room of an Iris? If so, is it possible to stop over within the next week or so to check it out. I don't want to waste my $$$ if they don't do the trick.

ljones190 04-24-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hannon (Post 349157)
We have an Iris in Buttonwood. Because the lanai is an extension of the living room area, the living room doesn't get much sunlight. Yes, this can be a good thing. Less furniture fade from sun, cooler temps etc. But we would like to have the room a little more sunny. It appears solar tubes are the way to go. Does anyone have solar tubes in living room of an Iris? If so, is it possible to stop over within the next week or so to check it out. I don't want to waste my $$$ if they don't do the trick.

Tom,

We just put in a 14" Solar tube in our Jasmine, which was also a little dark. The product is quite amazing and changed the room completely. Do not know about an Iris and your particular layout. The Solar people indicate there is no heat or uv rays from the tube, do not understand how that is but accept that it is accurate. The price was reasonable and was done within 1 1/2 hours was no mess.

Tom Hannon 04-24-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljones190 (Post 349162)
Tom,

We just put in a 14" Solar tube in our Jasmine, which was also a little dark. The product is quite amazing and changed the room completely. Do not know about an Iris and your particular layout. The Solar people indicate there is no heat or uv rays from the tube, do not understand how that is but accept that it is accurate. The price was reasonable and was done within 1 1/2 hours was no mess.

I believe the Jasmine is the same layout as the Iris. The difference the Iris is concrete.

Becky 04-24-2011 10:14 AM

Jasmine is the same as the Wisteria except Jasmine is stucco. Lily is the vinyl of the Iris.

Becky

Chopper 04-24-2011 10:24 AM

Actually the Lilac is the wood framed version of the Iris. The Lily is very similar to the Iris. And, for your purpose, the living, kitchen and lanai areas are the same as the Iris. Maybe someone with a Lily has installed a Solar Tube in the living room.

golfermike22 04-24-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljones190 (Post 349162)
Tom,

We have a similar issue with an overhang over the lanai causinig our kitchen to be on the shadowy/dark side. Any recommendations on where to go for a solar tube? I did see a place on my way to Ocala on the left, I forget which main route it was. I'm still not fully acquainted with the whole area.

skip0358 04-24-2011 11:00 AM

Solar tubes

Tom I put 2 in the living room of the Jasmine. You can stop over anytime

k2at 04-24-2011 11:06 AM

Tom, I live in Bonnybrook and put two in. U can come over any time, just leave me an email and I will get back to u.

ljones190 04-24-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfermike22 (Post 349204)
We have a similar issue with an overhang over the lanai causinig our kitchen to be on the shadowy/dark side. Any recommendations on where to go for a solar tube? I did see a place on my way to Ocala on the left, I forget which main route it was. I'm still not fully acquainted with the whole area.

The Solar Guys, 352-307-7077, Josh.

Double Bogie 04-24-2011 11:14 AM

Solar Tubes

We are also interested in the solar tubes and found two vendors at the art fair yesterday in SS. I believe that it is also going on today. Hope this helps!
Mrs DB

Tom Hannon 04-24-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Bogie (Post 349215)
We are also interested in the solar tubes and found two vendors at the art fair yesterday in SS. I believe that it is also going on today. Hope this helps!
Mrs DB

Yes, DB. I spoke to The Solar Guys today and I set up an appointment to have one installed. Also thinking of going the solar attic fans as well. Ship - an early reply said he used 2 solar tubes. Was hoping to get away with one. I was hoping to get away with $1500 for everything but it looks like I might need two fans and two solars crossing over the 2K line. OUCH...

ijusluvit 04-24-2011 11:23 AM

The Solar Guys do a pretty good job, no mess, etc., but I their prices seem a little high. Anybody find a good company that will put in a 12" lite for less than $459?

Tom Hannon 04-24-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijusluvit (Post 349220)
The Solar Guys do a pretty good job, no mess, etc., but I their prices seem a little high. Anybody find a good company that will put in a 12" lite for less than $459?

The price for a 14" light is $529. I thought it was high but what do I know?

The attic fans were $459

K9-Lovers 04-24-2011 01:23 PM

All solar tubes are not made equally. Do your homework and do not jump at the lowest price. Find out how much light is actually refracted into your space.

We used the Solar Guys are are highly pleased. However, do make sure they scoot the loose insulation back around the area where the tube was installed. They move it aside during installation, and sometimes forget to move it back.

golfermike22 04-24-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljones190 (Post 349212)
The Solar Guys, 352-307-7077, Josh.

Thanks Josh.