Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Another Golf Cart Accident (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/another-golf-cart-accident-38117/)

downeaster 04-24-2011 07:20 PM

Another Golf Cart Accident

A golf cart rounding a curve stopped on its passenger side on a friend's driveway. Driver and passenger refused an ambulance although visibly shaken and scraped. Cart was righted and battery reseated (gas cart) and they drove off. No damage to friend's property although narrowly missed their car. Police not called so there will be no record of this accident. (Had I been present I would have called police regardless of their objections.) Driver admitted speed was a factor.

One wonders how many unreported golf cart accidents occur.

Barefoot 04-24-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downeaster (Post 349299)
A golf cart rounding a curve stopped on its passenger side on a friend's driveway. Driver and passenger refused an ambulance although visibly shaken and scraped. Cart was righted and battery reseated (gas cart) and they drove off. No damage to friend's property although narrowly missed their car. Police not called so there will be no record of this accident. (Had I been present I would have called police regardless of their objections.) Driver admitted speed was a factor.

Judging from the number of people that pass me when I'm doing 19, and disappear in the distance, I'd think there are a lot of golf cart accidents. Not to mention the young kids I've seen careening around, and having a great time. Not to mention the number of carts I've seen illegally crossing Country Roads.

But we've been down this road before, complaining about golf cart drivers! I'm not sure what a reasonable solution would be. :shrug:

bluedog103 04-24-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 349302)
Judging from the number of people that pass me when I'm doing 19, and disappear in the distance, I'd think there are a lot of golf cart accidents. Not to mention the young kids I've seen careening around, and having a great time. Not to mention the number of carts I've seen illegally crossing Country Roads.

But we've been down this road before, complaining about golf cart drivers! I'm not sure what a reasonable solution would be. :shrug:

:agree:

robertj1954 04-25-2011 06:32 AM

As a retired law enforcement official I can tell you this much about driving a motor vehicle. There are those who use good judegment and common sense. Those that fail to use good judgement and common sense become statistics. If one thinks they cannot be seriously hurt in a golf cart they are fooling themselves.

red tail 04-25-2011 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downeaster (Post 349299)

sounds like these people had enough bad luck for one day. why would you call the police on them?

nitakk 04-25-2011 06:43 AM

I have seen way too many golf carts recently stopped on the cart path instead of pulling over in the grass. They stop to take pictures, chat on their cell phones or gawk at an alligator. And I guess I'm supposed to stop and find a way around them with oncoming traffic. Accidents waiting to happen...

GeorgeT 04-25-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 349360)
sounds like these people had enough bad luck for one day. Why would you call the police on them?

ditto.

memason 04-25-2011 09:03 AM

Even if the police were called, what would they do? Issue a citation? Provide assistance? Create a police report (documentation) ??

Just curious .... :shrug:

Dirigo 04-25-2011 09:29 AM

I was in a golf cart that was tipped over onto the driver's side once (I was the passenger). No one was hurt. THe cart wasn't hurt. And I still ride with the driver on occaision and he is a more conservative driver now (at least when I'm with him).

I bet the driver of the cart that is the subject of this thread will be more cautious in the future now he knows the cornering limits of his cart.

Thank goodness no one was injured in this incident.

Talk Host 04-25-2011 09:43 AM

A friend of mine was in a very minor traffic accident. Nobody appeared to be injured, so police were not called. About six months later, my friend was sued for nearly a half million dollars and lost. His wages were attached for years.

His lawyer told him that if he had made a police report, chances are the suit would not have been successful.

My poor friend had to get a second job at a tire shop in order to make ends meet for his family. One day, the guy who sued him came into the tire shop and saw him working there. He went back to court and got part of that wage too. :sad:

Tbugs 04-25-2011 10:44 AM

Sounds as though your friend did not have insurance - or enough insurance - to cover his lawsuit. Hopefully, all golf carters will take the minor expense of buying golf cart insurance. If not, you very well can have your butt sued off just like this person's friend.

Talk Host 04-25-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbugs (Post 349412)
Sounds as though your friend did not have insurance - or enough insurance - to cover his lawsuit. Hopefully, all golf carters will take the minor expense of buying golf cart insurance. If not, you very well can have your butt sued off just like this person's friend.

The accident was so minor that he didn't submit an insurance claim. Therefore his company didn't help him. They wanted to see a police report too.

ajakk 04-25-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 349302)

I am far more concerned with the unsafe practices I see while using my golf cart than being passed by one. I see adults with babies and small children on their laps and nobody is wearing seat belts. You can't go anywhere without seeing drivers talking or texting on their cell phones. If this isn't safe in a vehicle why is it safe in a golf cart? People park anywhere without regard for the traffic hazard they create. I also see a lot of pets riding unrestrained in carts. Yet time and time again the complaint is "I got passed".

bluedog103 04-25-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajakk (Post 349429)
I am far more concerned with the unsafe practices I see while using my golf cart than being passed by one. I see adults with babies and small children on their laps and nobody is wearing seat belts. You can't go anywhere without seeing drivers talking or texting on their cell phones. If this isn't safe in a vehicle why is it safe in a golf cart? People park anywhere without regard for the traffic hazard they create. I also see a lot of pets riding unrestrained in carts. Yet time and time again the complaint is "I got passed".

I'm pretty sure Bare was using the disregard of the speed limit an example of the knuckleheads driving golf carts. Speed was simply one of the examples she mentioned.

downeaster 04-25-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 349360)
sounds like these people had enough bad luck for one day. why would you call the police on them?

Based on the witnesses it seemed to me the driver and occupant were in no physical or mental condition to drive. It is also doubtful if the cart were in a safe condition to drive. Someone with more professional experience should have been making the decision.

Having a bad day does not negate the need for police intervention. Laws were broken, people were hurt and property was damaged. One would not be calling "the police on them" but calling the police to report an accident with injuries and property damage.