Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Trivia question.... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/trivia-question-38144/)

barb1191 04-25-2011 03:47 PM

Trivia question....

Hub and I were watching a program about the royal family and I asked hub....Do you know the last name of Prince William? Neither of us could pull it up and finally Bill got it, but it took some deep thought.

Do you know? Doubt that many Americans know, except history buffs.

What say, buffs?

Bill-n-Brillo 04-25-2011 03:52 PM

Smith? :shocked:

:1rotfl:

I looked it up - had never even heard it noted before. Won't spoil it here for others......

Bill :)

MinnieM 04-25-2011 03:52 PM

I believe his last name in Mountbatten-Windsor.

MinnieM

ladydoc 04-26-2011 12:37 AM

His last name is Wales. I watched a show last night where he introduced himself as William Wales. Wales was also the name on his military uniform.

graciegirl 04-26-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladydoc (Post 349644)
His last name is Wales. I watched a show last night where he introduced himself as William Wales. Wales was also the name on his military uniform.

Bill Wales, sounds like a nice guy. I hear they do not have domestic help and want to keep it that way. I wonder if he washes or dries and who bags the clippings.

I think their real last name was German and Queen Victoria changed it to something more Anglicized.

P.S. Just looked it up. The person who said Mountbatten-Windsor is correct but it was changed in Victorian times from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

Someone is going to say...Who cares? The royal family had no real power and it is a financial load on British people and....whatever else the naysayers say.

I just love that there is real royalty and my fairy tales are kinda true.

Gracie.
Always a romantic.

Coconuts 04-26-2011 05:49 AM

Mountbatten-Windsor

chuckinca 04-26-2011 09:19 PM

Believe it was changed to Windsor (like the castle) in WWI to sever ties with their German cousins.

Mountbatten is Prince Phillip's surname - he was a Prince of Greece and Denmark at birth as a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. He renounced his Greek and Danish titles and changed his surname to that of his British maternal grandparents to marry then Princess Elizabeth in 1947.

BritParrothead 04-30-2011 03:49 PM

"The royal family had no real power and it is a financial load on British people "

But, just look at the amount of tourists who come to the United Kingdom, in the hope of seeing one our royals. The amount of tourist income is staggering!! Without the Royals, England would not be the same.
The French and Germans envy us our royal family, even though the Germans still have minor royals, no one wants to visit them :)

BigMike 05-02-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca (Post 349917)
Believe it was changed to Windsor (like the castle) in WWI to sever ties with their German cousins.

Mountbatten is Prince Phillip's surname - he was a Prince of Greece and Denmark at birth as a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. He renounced his Greek and Danish titles and changed his surname to that of his British maternal grandparents to marry then Princess Elizabeth in 1947.

Great info thanks for settling a little wager for me! Which I won:MOJE_whot: