Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Help understanding operation of my AC unit with de-humidistat (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/help-understanding-operation-my-ac-unit-de-humidistat-38160/)

ajbrown 04-26-2011 06:53 AM

Help understanding operation of my AC unit with de-humidistat

Hope this is the right forum. Did not see All about airconditioners and things forum :)

I am testing my de-humidistat before I drift north for the summer. Thinking there may be some experts out here that can describe what I am seeing before my AC person comes over for the yearly inspection.

My de-humidistat is wired in series with the thermostat. When I am here in TV, I leave the de-humidistat in the ON position, so AC is controlled by the thermostat alone. In this mode all works as expected. Now I test the de-humidistat.

I set the thermostat to 70 degrees (colder than room temperature). I then turned the humidistat to 30%. The Trane XR80 air handler in garage and the compressor outside came on. This is good.

I leave the thermostat at 70 degrees and I next turned the de-humidistat to 80%. Now the air handler in the garage is ON but the compressor outside is OFF.

I now leave thermostat at 70 degrees and turn de-humidistat to OFF. The air handler in the garage is still running, but the compressor never comes on.

Without the de-humidistat, I do not think I ever hear the circulator ON when the compressor is OFF. Does what I am seeing make sense?

Thanks
Alan

deano_hoosier 04-26-2011 07:07 AM

Most compressors will have a delay in starting and in turning off as a means to "milk" the most of the energy from the cooling/heating operation's last cycle... so it may be that you ran your cycle tests a little too close together. If that happened, try again but wait maybe 10 minutes before conducting the next cycle test in the series.

Bob45 04-26-2011 07:13 AM

It sounds to me that the humidistat was wired in the compressor circuit. Leaving the fan to operate from the thermostat. If that's the case the fan will run all the time when the thermostat setting is below room temp. I'm sure your A/C guy will make sure it is set up properly.

Bob

ajbrown 04-26-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano_hoosier (Post 349671)
Most compressors will have a delay in starting and in turning off as a means to "milk" the most of the energy from the cooling/heating operation's last cycle... so it may be that you ran your cycle tests a little too close together. If that happened, try again but wait maybe 10 minutes before conducting the next cycle test in the series.

When de-humidistat is at 80% (or OFF) and thermostat is set below room tempurature the air handler never shuts off (40 minutes this AM) and compressor never comes on.

ajbrown 04-26-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob45 (Post 349677)
It sounds to me that the humidistat was wired in the compressor circuit. Leaving the fan to operate from the thermostat. If that's the case the fan will run all the time when the thermostat setting is below room temp. I'm sure your A/C guy will make sure it is set up properly.

Bob

Thank you, that is interesting. Make sense to this layman. As I understand it unless the air handler can take humidity out of the air, this is NOT the way it should be wired and is likely why I saw no savings last year using a de-humidistat as my air handler never shut off.

Does what I just typed make technical sense?

Bob45 04-26-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 349682)
Thank you, that is interesting. Make sense to this layman. As I understand it unless the air handler can take humidity out of the air, this is NOT the way it should be wired and is likely why I saw no savings last year using a de-humidistat as my air handler never shut off.

Does what I just typed make technical sense?

Yes it makes sense. The air passing over a cold coil is what removes the moisture.

Let us know what your AC guy says.

Bob

Bogie Shooter 04-26-2011 08:03 AM

This all makes my head hurt!

Bosoxfan 04-26-2011 09:22 AM

When we leave we put he humidistat on %60 and the thermostat at 79 degrees.Worked great last year!

ajbrown 04-26-2011 09:29 AM

That is what I was hoping for but....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 349725)
When we leave we put he humidistat on %60 and the thermostat at 79 degrees.Worked great last year!

When I do this my air handler in the garage NEVER shuts off.

k2at 04-26-2011 10:08 AM

When I go up North, I leave the de-humidifier on 60% and don't really concern myself with where the thermostat is set to. When the de-humidifier is set at 60%, the thermostat is not being used so it can really be set for any temperature. Have done this for the last two years and have had no problems with mold whatsoever.

bevlaur 04-26-2011 10:16 AM

de-humidstat hookup?

Does anyone know how to hook-up one of these de-humidstats???? Like to put one in but not to sure how to do it. Do they come with instructions how to hook it up to your thermostat?? Thanks for any input!!!

ajbrown 04-26-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2at (Post 349741)
When I go up North, I leave the de-humidifier on 60% and don't really concern myself with where the thermostat is set to. When the de-humidifier is set at 60%, the thermostat is not being used so it can really be set for any temperature. Have done this for the last two years and have had no problems with mold whatsoever.

This is true with a caveat. If they are wired in series the thermostat has to be set to a number low enough to ask for AC when the de-humidistat does. If they are wired in series, the temperature in the room must exceed the thermostat AND the humidity must exceed the de-humidistat setting. If the thermostat is set for 92 degrees it will not call for AC regardless of humidity until room temp is greater than 92 if I understand system correctly.

PS. Thanks for all the suggestions and references in PMs. I do have an AC guy coming over in a week or so.

Halle 04-26-2011 01:30 PM

First I know nothing about how to wire the de-humidistat. We had one installed by a handyman in TV when we were not there. We thought it was working as it should, but then our AC stopped working. When Munns checked out the A/C they discovered the de-humidistat was wired wrong. They corrected the problem and since then the de-humiidstat and A/C have been working properly. We have a very low electric bill in the summer when our house is unoccupied due to using the de-humidistat. So long story short is could be wired wrong.

Bosoxfan 04-27-2011 01:19 PM

We had ours

put in by Munns.Maybe that's why we haven't had any problems!! jmho!

iaudit 05-07-2011 01:10 AM

Resolution

Alan
Have you found anything out yet about why the air handler continues to run when trying to use the dehumidistat?