Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Singles (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/singles-124/)
-   -   response on singles date pass (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/singles-124/response-singles-date-pass-38232/)

chachacha 04-28-2011 12:43 PM

response on singles date pass

hello all who expressed your support during past threads, most recently the one on the survey, about getting a date pass for us singles to be able to have anyone in any area be our date for activities...i sent an email to the very kind janet tutt at janet.tutt@districtgov.org and she replied that it did not seem the matter would be discussed again. i had gotten the idea that we could bring it up again and it would be considered...perhaps if some of you expressed your views with a polite email, we could get more attention. i did not address the issue of golf as i know that is a sticky subject, but there are many other rec center and sports pool activities which we would enjoy much more with a date of our choosing...if you want to review the issue, please check out older threads as long as two years ago when we first presented a petition in this matter....please be polite and treat ms. tutt with respect as she is only the messenger. she was very nice to me in her reply..unfortunately i don't know how to copy and paste..

FRMChicago 04-28-2011 05:37 PM

Highlight what you want to copy by holding the SHIFT key and running your cursor over what you want to copy--that will will put a blue cover over your copy--then right click and click copy. Then go to where you want your copy and right click,then click paste..;-))
I'll be in town on June 1.
Frank

manaboutown 04-29-2011 09:05 AM

As a single person considering moving to The Villages I am wondering how many Villagers the current policy actually affects, i.e., how many Villagers live as singles without a SO living with them in their residence. If the number/percentage of Villagers is relatively low that may have something to do with why the current policy exists.

Ohiogirl 04-29-2011 09:14 AM

Lots of singles here

Either single when they move here, or become single thru death or divorce (usually death) after they move. After all, this is a retirement community, and nobody's getting younger. I bet almost every single neighborhood area has some singles. I'm guessing 20%?, but that's just a guess.

Villa neighborhoods probably have higher percentages of singles moving to TV as singles, although I had 2 single tenants rent from me during my landlord years who both ended up buying designers.

manaboutown 04-29-2011 01:43 PM

Obviously TV is a retirement community designed for people 55 and older. It is just that on my lifestyle visit TV seemed set up for couples. I am wondering what percentage of the people moving to TV arrive as singles rather than as couples. Because I am single myself I want to live in a community meeting the needs of single residents. The policy under discussion within this thread is of great interest to me since I do date and would not want to be forced to limit myself to attending certain TV activities with a TV resident date.

2BNTV 04-29-2011 01:58 PM

Fairness to a Single

If I remember correctly, a single resident only gets one pass to access everything in TV.

A single is prohibited form bringing another person, (date), to a function unless the date is a village resident.

This seems to be grossly unfair as the single is paying the same amenity fee that is assessed by TV. This is very limiting to a single who is hopeful to meet a S/O.

Please correct me if I am wrong but it this something that might change in the near future?

This is troubling to any wannabee.

bestmickey 04-30-2011 02:19 AM

redwitch 04-30-2011 05:59 AM

2BNTV -- You're semi-correct. A single can bring a date from outside TV with no problem IF the date lives out of the tri-county (Marion, Lake, Sumter) area. So, if your favorite date lives in Miami or Seattle, no problem. Bring 'em along. But, if your date happens to live in Leesbug, Summerfield or Ocala, too bad.

I semi-understand the policy. If you make exceptions for singles and their friend who happens to live in say The Plantation, then you're going to have to allow the couple who wants their friends (just one other couple) from Spruce Creek to join the TV club. Sooner or later almost everyone who lives near TV will have a friend who will want them to attend this or that event. Even so, it is frustrating and makes dating outside of TV difficult.

As to being a single in TV, there's so much to do and singles are accepted that it is not really a problem. There are a few clubs geared towards singles. It's not that hard to make friends with couples. You can easily find golfing buddies and card-playing groups. So, don't let this one negative stop you from considering TV just because you don't have a partner.

chachacha 05-03-2011 07:54 PM

voice your concerns

just bumping this thread to encourage anyone concerned with this issue to politely voice your concerns by survey or by emailing ms. Tutt at above address...

2BNTV 05-04-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 350748)
2BNTV -- You're semi-correct. A single can bring a date from outside TV with no problem IF the date lives out of the tri-county (Marion, Lake, Sumter) area. So, if your favorite date lives in Miami or Seattle, no problem. Bring 'em along. But, if your date happens to live in Leesbug, Summerfield or Ocala, too bad.

I semi-understand the policy. If you make exceptions for singles and their friend who happens to live in say The Plantation, then you're going to have to allow the couple who wants their friends (just one other couple) from Spruce Creek to join the TV club. Sooner or later almost everyone who lives near TV will have a friend who will want them to attend this or that event. Even so, it is frustrating and makes dating outside of TV difficult.

As to being a single in TV, there's so much to do and singles are accepted that it is not really a problem. There are a few clubs geared towards singles. It's not that hard to make friends with couples. You can easily find golfing buddies and card-playing groups. So, don't let this one negative stop you from considering TV just because you don't have a partner.

Red:

Thanks for clarifying this for me. It will not in any way, shape or form keep me from moving to TV. There is too much to do and so many wonderful people to meet.

I love TV and all it has to offer.