Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Need the groups help (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/need-groups-help-38392/)

BigMike 05-05-2011 07:04 AM

Need the groups help

We are set for our second visit to TV in July. :MOJE_whot:

We enjoyed our stay so much in March we have to get back. We have rented a house and are staying a week. I know the frogs will find this question crazy, but other than go to the squares and dance what would the group suggest so we can get a truer picture of the lifestyle?

Thanks in advance

Mike and The Lovely Darlene :mademyday:

CTgolfer 05-05-2011 09:44 AM

Get a copy of the Recreation News (comes out on Thursdays with the Daily Sun) and see if there are any activities you and your wife might be interested in. In one week, it may be difficult to get a good feel for everything.

graciegirl 05-05-2011 09:57 AM

If we G's were there, I would get a group together and have you over just to pick our collective brains. The most important thing is to chat with people that you meet. You will find them a huge reservoir of information and friendly advice.

Perhaps you will be here the week of the Crispers luncheon, the third Friday of the month?

Good luck and have fun!!

2BNTV 05-05-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTgolfer (Post 352009)
Get a copy of the Recreation News (comes out on Thursdays with the Daily Sun) and see if there are any activities you and your wife might be interested in. In one week, it may be difficult to get a good feel for everything.

:agree: It all depends on what you like to do.

1. Trolley tour if you haven't done that.
2. Crispers in the Southern Trace Shopping mall to meet other members of TOTV like Gracie said.

The week will fly by so enjoy your visit.

Ohiogirl 05-05-2011 10:25 AM

talk at the pool

Another place to meet people is at the adult pools - just introduce yourselves, say you're renting and thinking of buying. The sun worshipers still are there (even in summer) at mid-day, but lots of others are also there earlier or later.

Sabal Chase pool has easy water aerobics at 9:30 - anyone welcome, and Virginia Trace has them (maybe a little more intense) at 9:00 - every day, weather permitting. Very friendly groups - get a little exercise and hang around after for conversation.

skyguy79 05-05-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 352012)
If we G's were there, I would get a group together and have you over just to pick our collective brains. The most important thing is to chat with people that you meet. You will find them a huge reservoir of information and friendly advice.

Perhaps you will be here the week of the Crispers luncheon, the third Friday of the month?

Good luck and have fun!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMike (Post 351982)

We enjoyed our stay so much in March we have to get back. We have rented a house and are staying a week. I know the frogs will find this question crazy, but other than go to the squares and dance what would the group suggest so we can get a truer picture of the lifestyle?
Thanks in advance

If Graciegirl arranges a get together when she returns to TV, it will be a BYOB. Make SURE to bring that big bottle you're holding in your pic... full & unopened! :clap2: :1rotfl:

jgbama 05-05-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance

If you are thinking about buying, get the paper each morning and over coffee decide what open houses to view. We did the morning (10:00-12:00) and afternoon (2:00-4:00) open houses. It gives you a good feel for the different models. Check the Sun for daily activities. Also, check the entertainment listings on TV website (www.thevillages.com) 2-3 weeks before your visit. If there are any shows, etc. at the Savannah Center you'd like to attend, try to get your tickets early as if you wait until your visit, chances are they will be sold out.

If you are renting through TV and have an assigned salesperson, get them to take you to the area where the models homes are located (if they still have that area). As was mentioned in another post, just introduce yourself and ask if the folks live there and see if they have time for a few questions. Didn't now about TOTV during our first 4 visits, but you can get a lot from the various forums here!! Eat at a different Country Club for lunch and/or dinner. We really enjoyed sampling the different fares as each have different entrees. OH, catch the sunset on Lake Sumter from the area off Morse Blvd, at the bridge. Soothing and a good sample of life at TV. . .calming, relaxing and pinch yourself each morning to remind yourself you aren't dreaming. It is real.

Before you go, decide what questions or concerns you have and then ask people in person. You get lots of feedback here, but face-to-face is always better. IMO. Our visits are for a week too. Darn it those are the fastest weeks of our lives!!:(

Good to see another "southern boy" interested in TV!! Yahoo!!

OH, if you are there over the third weekend, they have a classic car cruise-in at Spanish Springs. Some fine rides on exhibit!!

ssmith 05-05-2011 06:41 PM

enjoy

Make sure you have a golf cart....if nothing else a ride in the golf cart to enjoy the beauty, take pics and see the sunset on the bridge into LSL off of Morse are always fun! We have participated in events like bunko, hand n foot in the evenings too. Some like to hang out at the evening entertainment at the County clubs or restaurants!

BigMike 05-05-2011 07:05 PM

Wow

THANKS for all of the help. We are going to be Frogs one day I promise. I am considering a job right now that would make us villager by the end of the year :BigApplause:

Wish I could meet some of you who have been so helpful. When we get there everyone to our house for some wine and food and great time. And yes it will be a bottle like in the picture!!!!

Again Darlene and I can't wait to get to know all of ya"ll!!

This is one happy Southern Boy!!!!!

Big Mike and Darlene :mademyday:

BigMike 05-05-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 352012)

Good luck and have fun!!

Graciegirl Maybe next time and thanks for the offer. We will get together soon

BigMike 05-05-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 352021)
If Graciegirl arranges a get together when she returns to TV, it will be a BYOB. Make SURE to bring that big bottle you're holding in your pic... full & unopened! :clap2: :1rotfl:

Skyguy Thats a promise and I have more than one bottle like that!! Can you drive a golf cart after you have had a glass of wine????:shrug:

champion6 05-05-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTgolfer (Post 352009)
Get a copy of the Recreation News (comes out on Thursdays with the Daily Sun) and see if there are any activities you and your wife might be interested in.

That's a good suggestion. You can read the Recreation News BEFORE you arrive by using this link: http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...es/recnews.pdf

JohnN 05-05-2011 08:54 PM

good advice above, just get the rec news,
and talk to everyone you see.. lots of good input and thoughts out there.

TV- you either love it or hate it, so I've heard. If you love it, figure out where you want to be, historic, north, south, or the brand new areas - advantages and disadvantages to each. Also, what type of home do you want?

Ohiogirl 05-05-2011 09:01 PM

Bring a calendar

with big spaces. Best to read the Daily Sun every morning with calendar at your side and write down everything you see that appeals - otherwise, you'll find that you'll be reading about what happened "yesterday." and saying to yourself, *******, I missed it!

Schaumburger 05-05-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Mike and Darlene,
I'm also renting for a week in July, but I'm probably a few more years away from buying than you are, so going to open houses is a very good idea. I went to several open houses last year during my first visit to TV. It's a good way to see what's available in your price range. I'm also planning to visit the Markets of Marion this time, a flea market that is open on Saturdays and Sundays in the summer. I love to see what people are trying to sell at flea markets. Lounging at the pool will also be a priority. I hope to ask frogs what they think of TV. I'm hoping to rent again in TV this October, maybe a rental home closer to 466 or south of 466. Just to get out of my office for a week and experience TV even for a short time will be a treat for me. 61 days and counting until I'm in TV. :clap2: Enjoy your time in TV.