Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   ... and another bites the dust! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/another-bites-dust-38672/)

Guest 05-16-2011 02:18 PM

... and another bites the dust!

Dropping like rats bailing from a sinking ship: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Guest 05-16-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 354634)
Dropping like rats bailing from a sinking ship: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Seriously??

Was Trump ever really running?

Was Trump ever really a Republican?

Well; it's OK, as long as you're happy, I'm happy.

Guest 05-16-2011 02:46 PM

Glad The Huckster and The Donald aren't running. Wish Newt wasn't. Looking for a conservative who has a little fire in the belly.

Guest 05-16-2011 03:14 PM

What A Joke

Trump's "withdrawal" is like the rich kid who is a crappy ballplayer (a crappy politician who would have made a crappy President) saying he's going to take his bat and ball and go home. Nobody really cares. He was only "in the race" for a short time and came up with some of the most looney tunes ideas heard in years.

My guess is The Donald found out that no one was going to give him the money to campaign for the Presidency. And he certainly wasn't going to spend one dime of his own.

What a phoney!

Guest 05-16-2011 03:22 PM

Who's Left?

Man, the GOP field is narrowing and we aren't even close to the Iowa or New Hampshire primaries. Even those who many have suggested will throw their hats in the ring haven't begun to put together campaign organizations to begin the hard work necessary to win those critical early primaries.

Can anyone seriously say that there is a potential GOP candidate who might be capable of giving President Obama even a reasonable amount of competition?

It may be a little early for this kind of statement, but this is beginning to look like a landslide for the POTUS. What in the world ever happened to the GOP party leadership that achieved such success in the 2010 mid-term elections? They seem to have disappeared...or maybe they've simply given up on what might be a lost cause.

Guest 05-16-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 354653)
Man, the GOP field is narrowing and we aren't even close to the Iowa or New Hampshire primaries. Even those who many have suggested will throw their hats in the ring haven't begun to put together campaign organizations to begin the hard work necessary to win those critical early primaries.

Can anyone seriously say that there is a potential GOP candidate who might be capable of giving President Obama even a reasonable amount of competition?

It may be a little early for this kind of statement, but this is beginning to look like a landslide for the POTUS. What in the world ever happened to the GOP party leadership that achieved such success in the 2010 mid-term elections? They seem to have disappeared...or maybe they've simply given up on what might be a lost cause.

You are very impatient. The economy is a weight around Obama's neck and it's not going to take a lot to beat him. Obama knows this and the only question I have is what going to be next year's October Surprise, because it's coming.

The candidates are shaking out and the cream will rise to the top. Not sure who'll that'll be yet. Not everyone's even declared yet. They'll be some surprises to come, I'll wager.

Guest 05-16-2011 04:21 PM

Who really cares. By the time a dark horse comes out of the pack, our money will be worthless, our country will be over ran by the drug cartels so you really should be spending your time lerning Spanish or maybe Chiness. But then who really cares as come December 21, 2012 we might to get to start all over again. LOL The next war after WW III will be fought with sticks and stones. See we will have come full circle.

Guest 05-16-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 354671)
Who really cares. By the time a dark horse comes out of the pack, our money will be worthless, our country will be over ran by the drug cartels so you really should be spending your time lerning Spanish or maybe Chiness. But then who really cares as come December 21, 2012 we might to get to start all over again. LOL The next war after WW III will be fought with sticks and stones. See we will have come full circle.

Damn, might just as well use that gun.

Guest 05-16-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 354671)

Hoping your fears don't become reality. I'm downcast but still have hope that the people won't let that happen. The same as I hope they won't let another Obama term happen.

Guest 05-17-2011 06:00 AM

In the words of Charles Krauthammer, "Unified Field Theory of 2012, Axiom One: The more the Republicans can make the 2012 election like 2010, the better their chances of winning.

"The 2010 Democratic shellacking had the distinction of being the most ideological election in 30 years. It was driven by one central argument in its several parts: the size and reach of government, spending and debt and, most fundamentally, the nature of the American social contract. 2010 was a referendum on the Obama experiment in hyper-liberalism. It lost resoundingly.

"Of course, presidential elections are not arguments in the abstract but arguments with a face. Hence, Axiom Two: The less attention the Republican candidate draws to him/herself, the better the chances of winning. To the extent that 2012 is about ideas, about the case for smaller government, Republicans have a decided edge. If it's a referendum on the fitness and soundness of the Republican candidate -- advantage Obama.

"Which suggests Axiom Three: No baggage and no need for flash. Having tried charisma in 2008, the electorate is not looking for a thrill up the leg in 2012. It's looking for solid, stable, sober and, above all, not scary..."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11113/1141257-109-0.stm

Guest 05-17-2011 09:15 AM

I suppose there is comfort of sorts for some who feel their candidate is already POTUS......which is his to lose....if he could rise from obscurity and convince some to elect him....the potential is the same for those not mentioned yet.

And maybe after the 2008 three year long campaign, plus the two years of campaigning in office, folks don't really care if their horse has not been identified yet.

I suspect many would like the candidates up and running as far in advance as possible to allow more time for digging, tearing them down, mud slinging, slandering and all the usual political BS!!

btk

Guest 05-17-2011 09:26 AM

I think...that people would like to be just Democrats or Republicans or Independents. I think the well meaning polarizations that have happened lately has been a little much to accept by everyone and have harmed both parties.

Some will say that we who aren't liberals or teapartiers swing in the wind, but I say people who THINK don't accept a whole philosophy for ever and always....... But will reevaluate each situation as it comes along with the increased knowledge that living gives us.

I am looking around and find no one at the moment who would gain my allegiance to elect president.

Now that is sad.

Guest 05-17-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 354857)
I think...that people would like to be just Democrats or Republicans or Independents. I think the well meaning polarizations that have happened lately has been a little much to accept by everyone and have harmed both parties.

Some will say that we who aren't liberals or teapartiers swing in the wind, but I say people who THINK don't accept a whole philosophy for ever and always....... But will reevaluate each situation as it comes along with the increased knowledge that living gives us.

I am looking around and find no one at the moment who would gain my allegiance to elect president.

Now that is sad.

I couldn't agree more. Well said, Gracie.

Guest 05-17-2011 10:13 PM

What An Indictment!

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 354857)
...I am looking around and find no one at the moment who would gain my allegiance to elect president.

Now that is sad.

Me too.

And isn't that an indictment of the political system we have to govern over 300 million people who live in what has been the richest and most powerful society in the world?

Guest 05-18-2011 05:50 AM

I find it an indictment of the process and the media. Who would want to go through all that?