Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Price of Daily Sun (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/price-daily-sun-38925/)

iaudit 05-24-2011 03:38 PM

Price of Daily Sun

I just noticed today that the price of Daily Sun is 50 cents. I thought it used to be 25 cents. Does anyone know when the price DOUBLED????? Is the extra quarter going to the Moffitt center?

Bill-n-Brillo 05-24-2011 03:40 PM

I remember seeing a sticker on one of the newspaper machines back in Feb. noting the increase - can't remember when it said it was going into effect. Seems like it might have been March 1st????

Bill

JimJoe 05-24-2011 04:38 PM

They should put the entire paper on the internet and save some trees. Also they should make it available to ereaders.
JJ

JenAjd 05-24-2011 05:20 PM

Not to worry....they did put out an announcement awhile back! As for saving trees...did you know that the tree farms plant another tree for everyone that is harvested? Something the main-stream media doesn't advertise! I for one like to get it delivered daily but reading it online would be beneficial for some as well (I agree)!!!!

paulandjean 05-24-2011 06:19 PM

Newspaper

OH Boy, another tree hugger.

carm310 05-24-2011 06:55 PM

I only hug palm trees. : D

Dynasty 05-24-2011 08:33 PM

carrier

I believe the cost of the paper goes for distribution and delivery. Our poor drivers have been touched more than any of us with the high price of gas. The paper itself has advertising as it's revenue source.

Irish Rover 05-24-2011 09:30 PM

Paper prices have been going up annually for the last ten years as has the cost of ink (which is petroleum based) so it's no surprise that the newspaper cost has gone up. I only get the Daily Sun for two or three months but I can say this, it's better than my hometown newspaper - St Louis Post Dispatch. IMHO $.50 isn't a big hit if you think the content is good. I'm just saying.........
Irish

Schaumburger 05-25-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJoe (Post 356996)
They should put the entire paper on the internet and save some trees. Also they should make it available to ereaders.
JJ

:agree: the current on-line edition of the Daily Sun contains only 3 articles and the classified ads. Snowbirds and snowflakes might appreciate the entire paper on the internet.

pooh 05-25-2011 08:12 AM

When you have a subscription, the cost of the paper is considerably less. I just got my renewal notice and the cost per issue for 13 weeks is $.23; the cost per issue for 26 weeks is $.18; the cost per issue for a yearly renewal is $.15.

Many papers online are also available on a subscription basis or you just get to see a few articles, if any. While an online subscription is great for some, there's something special about sitting on your lanai with a cup of coffee, reading the paper, be it the Sun or whatever one you read.

graciegirl 05-25-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooh (Post 357168)
When you have a subscription, the cost of the paper is considerably less. I just got my renewal notice and the cost per issue for 13 weeks is $.23; the cost per issue for 26 weeks is $.18; the cost per issue for a yearly renewal is $.15.

Many papers online are also available on a subscription basis or you just get to see a few articles, if any. While an online subscription is great for some, there's something special about sitting on your lanai with a cup of coffee, reading the paper, be it the Sun or whatever one you read.

I was gonna say what she said but she said it better. As usual.

She is my friend.:wave:

JimJoe 05-25-2011 10:01 AM

I understand but..

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 357171)
I was gonna say what she said but she said it better. As usual.

She is my friend.:wave:

I understand that feeling of a "real" paper also but.. there are very significant advantages to e papers.. no recycling, access to back copies, forward article to friends etc, read it when traveling or snowbirding, etc.
Many places do both paper and e paper.. that is my solution.
JJ

swrinfla 05-25-2011 01:47 PM

How do you read a newspaper sitting out on the lanai with your coffee unless it's a real paper?

I suppose if I had a laptop and if the Sun were completely on line, maybe I could, just possibly, eventually decide that it was a nice experience.

But, know what? I don't think so.

Annual subscription, delivered in the wee hours every day for all of 15 cents a day is a deal, by me. And, then the folks at Hope Lutheran Church eventually get a few pennies because that's where I recycle.

SWR
:beer3:

2BNTV 05-25-2011 03:15 PM

I can see both of thee methods for getting information.

Maybe I'm old fashioned in a sense that I would prefer to feel a newspaper in my hands. For a small amount of money assuming one subscribes, I would really like to be informed about today's activities and events. I may be a hard copy type of guy. I also like the paper being delivered first thing in the morning.

I presently get my Sunday newspaper in CT by going onto the internet as the New York paper is expensive so there is something to be said for internet news. I don't have to get dress in the cold months to go and fetch it.

IMHO - Each way is a personal preference. If I had to choose, the newspaper in my hand is more my style.

JimJoe 05-25-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 357252)
I can see both of thee methods for getting information.

Maybe I'm old fashioned in a sense that I would prefer to feel a newspaper in my hands. For a small amount of money assuming one subscribes, I would really like to be informed about today's activities and events. I may be a hard copy type of guy. I also like the paper being delivered first thing in the morning.

I presently get my Sunday newspaper in CT by going onto the internet as the New York paper is expensive so there is something to be said for internet news. I don't have to get dress in the cold months to go and fetch it.

IMHO - Each way is a personal preference. If I had to choose, the newspaper in my hand is more my style.

Internet papers do not get lost, blown around, water on them, stolen, you do not have to recycle them, you can look up and reread or just find an article on any subject from last week or last years paper with a simple one word search, you can highlight or save articles, you can send a copy if an article if allowed to a friend with the click of your mouse, save a copy of a pic in the paper, respond with a letter to the editor with a click, vote on the newspaper poll with a click, change the font so you do not have to squint, or get your reading glasses, read it on vacation or while a snow bird, will never mix it up with other papers when you want to reread it, get it at 2am or whenever you wake up, read it on the go with your nook or kindle, read it at the same time as your wife is reading it, save a forest every year, read your hometown paper in the same manner if they are totally online, complain to the editor about content, grammar, or price with a click, and more you cannot do with a paper copy. If you really want or need a paper copy, you can always print one using your computer Print button.
It is time now to advance the ball, or they could offer you the option of print, e paper, or both.
JJ