Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Any suggestions for nausea from chemotherapy (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/any-suggestions-nausea-chemotherapy-39069/)

Freeda 05-30-2011 10:20 AM

Any suggestions for nausea from chemotherapy

Hi friends, I would appreciate any suggestions (medication or other remedies) you may have for what helps to relieve (or prevent) chemotherapy-related nausea.

This is for my 28-y-o daughter, Meghan, in Louisville, KY, who is having an awful time with this. (She is in remission, ie, there are no more leukemia cells, from a myeloid sarcoma which she developed last May related to her history of leukemia which she had in 2005; but since the myeloid sarcoma was on a spinal nerve, and since one of her early spinal fluid tests last fall showed a few leukemia cells in her spinal fluid at that time, which possibly shed off from the tumor when it had to be biopsied, she is having to have chemo injected into her spinal fluid via lumbar puncture every few weeks for about a year, as protection against any CNS recurrence. I'm just explaining all of this in case it is a factor in what may help with the nausea that the chemo injected into the spinal fluid is causing). She underwent a number of rounds of systemic chemo (into the bloodstream) in the past and never had any nausea; but this spinal fluid route is wreaking havoc on her.

Of course, she will run any ideas by her physician before she would try anything; but he and she have tried alot of things without alot of improvement, so we are all searching for solutions, since she is having severe, debilitating nausea for a week or two after each chemo treatment.

I know that there are some really smart people on here, and some of you or your family or contacts may have had some experience with this type of thing and with what helps the nausea. I would deeply appreciate any advice you can offer.

rubicon 05-30-2011 10:41 AM

I am told that fresh ginger or gingersnap cookies ...anything with ginger will help ?

rubicon 05-30-2011 10:43 AM

Oh and forgive me I was pondering my suggestion to see if I could advise more and forgot to tell you our prayers and thoughts are with you and your daughter.

lm2011 05-30-2011 10:56 AM

I had consulted a physician for my extreme nausea which certainly was not even close to what your daughter must be feeling but the Dr. told me to use ginger in my diet. You could sprinkle ginger on pudding or jello and use fresh ginger as much as possible and the effects were amazing. I still use ginger every time my stomach starts to feel sick. Good Luck and Good Health to you and your daughter. Keep fighting and never give up.

cricket1 05-30-2011 10:57 AM

HAVE HER TALK TO HER DOCTOR!!! There are many meds the docs can try-no reason to be that miserable. Been through it with my 30-y-o DIL. Keep pestering the docs! My thoughts and prayers are coming your family's way.

bkcunningham1 05-30-2011 10:57 AM

I saw on Facebook that she'd tried ginger. In addition to the ginger she's tried zofran, pherghan, Ativan... God bless her. I hope someone can help. People were even suggesting medicinal marijuana. I know it comes in liquid form and isn't a bad idea.

LEWIS 05-30-2011 12:24 PM

has she tried taking some nausea meds. before she has her shot. It was told to my wife to try to get in her system before she started chemotherapy. God bless and good luck

brostholder 05-30-2011 12:25 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with your family! If she has tried zofran, phenergan, compazine, etc with no relief, you may consider discussing Emend with your doctor.
Barry (the pharmacist)

RLNLB 05-30-2011 12:47 PM

My wife took Emend which has been recommended and also believe it or not sea sickness bracelets, which really helped. You can buy them at Wal Mart or drug stores. They cost about $10.00. They might be worth a try.

whartonjelly 05-30-2011 01:56 PM

Anzimet. eat solids at different times than liquids. Never mix.

whartonjelly 05-30-2011 02:04 PM

IV hydration can work miracles to stop the cycle.

graciegirl 05-30-2011 02:54 PM

Kytril, a prescription drug was a huge help to Helene.

I seemed to feel better after a big greasy hamburger...go figure.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you as well and 14 dozen hugs too.

Freeda 05-30-2011 02:57 PM

Thanks, so much, everyone, for the kinds thoughts and advice; I am passing every word along. I hold firmly onto gratitude that my daughter is here and has made it through so much; nevertheless, it is a parent's nightmare to know that your child is suffering.

You are all so wonderful and caring; what a tender-hearted, nice group of people TOTV gathers together.

Anyone else, please share any advice and I'll pass it along too.

seashorecaroline 05-31-2011 08:23 AM

I agree with Gracie. Kytril is a fantastic drug for nausea from chemo. My husband took it and never got sick after chemo. It was very expensive - 11 years ago it cost close to $500 for two pills but was covered by insurance. There may be other new out drugs now but Kytril worked fantistically! I will keep your daughter in my prayers.

jackiedew 05-31-2011 08:51 AM

Listen to your body

When I had chemo for almost a year, ending with high dose for 96 hrs, there were anti-nausea meds included in IV which were quite effective for me (I realize that that may not be the case for her). I also learned to listen to my body and it told me I wanted a coffee milkshake after every session, which my husband always got for me. Sometimes I craved a hotdog with michigan sauce (which was not my norm) and we would drive 30 miles for my favorite kind. After the high dose chemo and stem cell transplant my first meal (craving) was a pancake with coffee ice cream! When recouperating, dill pickles were a 'must have' and my nutritionist said my body needed what was in dill pickles. Each body is different but it may be telling her what she needs and she should go for it. For some reason, odd things help out.

My heart goes out to your daughter and the whole family - it isn't easy going through that but hopefully her 'will to live' will prevail and she will get through this. She will be in my prayers.